OnePlus is merging OxygenOS with Oppo’s ColorOS

Summary

Following last month’s announcement that OnePlus was integrating with Oppo, effectively becoming a sub-brand of the phone manufacturer, the company announced that it’s also merging codebase of OxygenOS and Oppo’s ColorOS operating system.

Quotes

This is a change that you will likely not even notice since it’s happening behind the scenes. We now have a larger and even more capable team of developers, more advanced R&D resources, and a more streamlined development process all coming together to improve the OxygenOS experience.

OxygenOS remains the OS for global OnePlus users as always, but now built on a more stable and stronger platform. This will apply to new devices in the future, while for existing devices that are still within the maintenance schedule, it will occur via an OTA update along with Android 12.

This Post also includes Android update schedule for it's devices.

• Flagship product line (including T / R): The OnePlus 8 series and newer devices will receive 3 major Android updates and 4 years of security updates.

• Nord / Nord CE: The first OnePlus Nord and newer Nord / Nord CE devices will receive 2 major Android updates and 3 years of security updates.

• Nord N series: Starting from N10 and N100, all N series devices will receive 1 major Android update and 3 years of security updates.

My thoughts

I think this might be the end of OnePlus. Being known for excellent software support I personally don't like this change at all.
Been using OnePlus 7 and experiencing buggy Android 11 update, we all know where this all is going.

Sources

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/update-to-the-oxygenos-codebase-and-software-maintenance-schedule.1462181/

https://www.theverge.com/2021/7/2/22560765/oneplus-oxygenos-coloros-oppo-android-updates

Edited by SansVarnic
Poll Removed

"THE BEST WAY TO FIND YOURSELF IS TO LOSE YOURSELF IN THE SERVICE OF OTHERS"

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i5-6402P 2.8GHz Motherboard: Gigabyte H110M-S2 RAM: HyperX 8 GB, Corsair Vengence 8 GB

Storage: Crucial MX500 1TB, Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD, WD Blue 2TB HDD, Toshiba 4TB GPU: ZOTAC RTX 2060

Dispite of what reviewers say, I have op 7 and that oxygen os have always had major or minor bugs on every update. That includes messenger, Google services, wake up, gallery not working and sometimes even making phone unresponsive. Also One Plus promised 2 updates and I ve got android 11 after all other android phones of 2019. In the end I ve started at 10 and ended on 11 and that's 1 major upgrade that was also delayed.

Anyway oxygen os needs fixing and I hope that now they will be able to provide as promised. Btw they said op8 and the next devices will have 3 years coverage. Promises don't mean a thing of course, but a man can hope

So with oneplus gone, are there any manufacturers left that give more than half a crap about their software and don't charge $800+ for their base models?

Or you can buy a Pixel device. You pretty much know you will get every update every time. The support is just not as long as on iPhone (3 years, versus iphone's 5(+) years).

-= Poll Removed from Topic =-

Please don't add polls to TN topics. This section is intended for discussion a debate over the content of news. We like to see polls reserved for GD or OT rather than TN.

GD = General Discussion

OT = Off-Topic

TN = Tech News

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

<removed by staff>

Anyway, regarding the topic: As someone who currently has a OnePlus phone (the second one I've owned), I'll reserve definitive judgement for when things progress further. As of right now, at least to me as a user, it's not clear what this merging of the codebases will mean. Could mean that updates get pushed out faster now that they have more people working on one common codebase. Could also mean an increase in bugs because they now have to maintain more devices with the same codebase. I'm overall happy with what my phone provides me with, I experience few if any bugs that are directly tied to the phone or the OS. But I'm not above switching brands again, I don't practice any loyalty to a brand that doesn't provide me with what I want. But I think doomsaying is uncalled for at this stage.

Edited by SansVarnic
Removed content. Lets not start something.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█

██      ███   ▄   ▄████▄   ██▄████▄     ▄████▄   ██   ▄

██      ███ ▄██ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ███▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ██ ▄██

██     ███▀  ▄█ ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███ ██  ▄█

█▄██  ▄▄██▀    ██  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██  ██  ██

▀███████▀    ▄████▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀ ▄█████████▄

6 hours ago, BachChain said:

So with oneplus gone, are there any manufacturers left that give more than half a crap about their software and don't charge $800+ for their base models?

I have a Zenfone 8 which I'm very happy with. I owned a OnePlus device before, back when they were still catering to the enthusiast crowd, and Asus is doing the same thing right now.

11 hours ago, maartendc said:

Or you can buy a Pixel device. You pretty much know you will get every update every time. The support is just not as long as on iPhone (3 years, versus iphone's 5(+) years).

I was thinking about that, but I really don't want to come even closer to Google's cancer which was the second reason why I ditched Android right after the updating idiocy. Plus, seeing how Google was fumbling around something as simple as camera issues on Pixel phones for so long I lost any confidence in their ability to do anything. I mean when first party has such massive issues and takes months to fix, imagine how it is with 3rd parties then who need to first get stuff from Google and then implement it themselves and then release it with their moronic release schedules. iOS may still have several shortcomings or limitations, but at least these aren't one of them and at least for me it's a huge part of experience. I couldn't care less about crap custom ROM's or sideloading of apps. But the updating and overall support was very high on my priority list. And it's exactly as it was advertised.

Plus, the support gap for apps on iOS is identical as on Android as people love to point out how far back you can install apps on each and complain that support is dropped too quickly on iOS. The gap is roughly 5-6 years on both. On Android most apps should support Android 5.x (2015), but I had several that just didn't show up anymore on GooglePlay for such device. With iOS, a lot of apps require iOS 13 now which sounds very recent, but when you take into consideration phones like iPhone 6s from 2015 still receive major OS updates and are even planned to receive iOS 15, doing the math and they'll start dropping support for it about the same time as with Android.

It's just that on Android devices, you're pretty much left with what you got when you bought the phone (especially back in 2015) and you're left with outdated version for all the years until the support is entirely dropped for it some 5 years later. With iOS, you constantly get new major versions to the point when support is also entirely dropped and you're required to always run rather recent OS version. Great part of such behavior is the faster evolving of the ecosystem and not being left out like it happened on every single Android phone I had. Every time Android gained some new really cool feature, the phone I had miraculously stopped being supported and wasn't eligible anymore. But they always offered me to buy their latest phone and get the latest Android version that way. Screw that.

19 hours ago, BachChain said:

I really liked LG for this very reason, but sadly they're gone as well

Also, discussion between 3vs5 years of support is just worthless in my opinion. Both are too low. Windows 10 will be supported for 10 years, it's a free upgrade from Win 7, and you can upgrade to Win 11 for free as well.

20 hours ago, BachChain said:

I mean, apple?

The second costs like 400$ for the base model

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

I don't like the idea of the merge because it has got me wondering for how long will Oneplus phones still be able to have their bootloaders unlocked because with Oppo phones you can't

My Laptop: A MacBook Air 

My Desktop: Don’t have one 

My Phone: An Honor 8s (although I don’t recommend it)

My Favourite OS: Linux

My Console: A Regular PS4

My Tablet: A Huawei Mediapad m5 

Spoiler

-= Thread Cleaned =-

The derailment and the subsequent conversation were removed.

Let's not de-rail a topic from its main conversation point.

And Yes, all comments removed were not in-line with or had direct contribution to the OP.

Pick and choose your battles [debates] to fight, do it were they count instead of hijacking another topic to make a point.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER