lf recommendations story driven games

aBattleBorn

hi guys.

sorry for my English.

so yeah it's steam sale and I am trying to score at least 150$ worth of games, I already have games I eyed for months in my cart waiting for me to click buy it now but I want another game or four.

I am looking for an amazing story-driven game that will leave a deep impression, I usually play jrpg's games so I am looking to spice things up with some western games.

some western story-driven games I liked:

Detroit become human(fing amazing game), spec ops: the line, Vampyre, Bioshock, dishonored, quantum break, ryse: son of Rome.

just a couple of examples for jrpg I really liked: tales of breseira, valkyrie chronicles.

thanks in advance.

my current home setup:cpu:amd ryzen 2700 // cpu cooler :aigo 120mm aio // mobo:gigabyte ab350-gaming 3 // ram:crosair vengance 8*4 // gpu:amd rx 5700 //

tower:antec p8 // psu:antec HCG 650w.

my current work setup: cpu:intel xeon x5675 // cpu cooler :generic 6 copper pipe // mobo: x58 lga 1366 chines motherboard // ram: 32GB ecc // gpu:amd r7 260x //                    

psu:antec 550w.

my current home server setup:cpu:intel xeon x5690 // cpu cooler :aigo 120mm aio // mobo: x58 lga 1366 chines motherboard // ram:crucial 8*2 // gpu:amd rx 580 //

tower:antec p110 silent // psu:antec HCG 850w.

1 minute ago, King of Memes said:

Red Dead Redemption 2

is the story really good?

1 minute ago, Lotinsh said:

Witcher 3, one of the best games I've ever played

oh yea heard a lot about this game and never had the chance to play it.

it is also dirt cheap right now.

my current home setup:cpu:amd ryzen 2700 // cpu cooler :aigo 120mm aio // mobo:gigabyte ab350-gaming 3 // ram:crosair vengance 8*4 // gpu:amd rx 5700 //

my current work setup: cpu:intel xeon x5675 // cpu cooler :generic 6 copper pipe // mobo: x58 lga 1366 chines motherboard // ram: 32GB ecc // gpu:amd r7 260x //                    

my current home server setup:cpu:intel xeon x5690 // cpu cooler :aigo 120mm aio // mobo: x58 lga 1366 chines motherboard // ram:crucial 8*2 // gpu:amd rx 580 //

the mass effect legendary edtion is on sale I woudl reccoment them if you havent played it yet. but something similar to games like ryse and spec ops that are just llinear story driven games. Hellblade is one of my favorite games of all time. I really reccomend playing it if you haven't played it yet. firewatch is pretty nice as well. It takes 2 is great if you have a partner or a friend to play with.

2 minutes ago, aBattleBorn said:

oh yea heard a lot about this game and never had the chance to play it.

it is also dirt cheap right now.

red dead is pretty great story wise does and is a relaly long game if you want to commit to one. witcher 3 is pretty great some of the best side quests Ive ever played is in that game. some of the side quests could be its own game or DLC. I would reccomend watching some run down on youtube on the first 2 games before playing so you have context going into the third game. 

3 minutes ago, rice guru said:

the mass effect legendary edtion is on sale I woudl reccoment them if you havent played it yet. but something similar to games like ryse and spec ops that are just llinear story driven games. Hellblade is one of my favorite games of all time. I really reccomend playing it if you haven't played it yet. firewatch is pretty nice as well. It takes 2 is great if you have a partner or a friend to play with.

yea i don't rally care open world or linear as long the story is really good.

it is actually not the first time i hear about hellblade so i might as well add it to the cart

mass effect seem like it will take me forever to finish so next sale

firewatch seem lit so i might as well give it a try

1 minute ago, rice guru said:

red dead is pretty great story wise does and is a relaly long game if you want to commit to one. witcher 3 is pretty great some of the best side quests Ive ever played is in that game. some of the side quests could be its own game or DLC. I would reccomend watching some run down on youtube on the first 2 games before playing so you have context going into the third game. 

thanks for the tips

1 minute ago, aBattleBorn said:

yea i don't rally care open world or linear as long the story is really good.

it is actually not the first time i hear about hellblade so i might as well add it to the cart

mass effect seem like it will take me forever to finish so next sale

thanks for the tips

,ass effecyt isdnt a super long enndeavor its 3 games in one but you can take them in chunks the first game took me about 15 hours to play the second takes about 20 to 50 at most same with 3  but waiting on another sale is not a bad idea if you dont think you can get to it there is always the fall and winter sale where it can be cheaper anyway

10 minutes ago, aBattleBorn said:

fire watch is a relaxing pretty little game not hard at all and fairly short definitely worth the sale price

Oh, I have 2 more amazing games, Subnautica and Subnautica Below zero.

Subnautica is mostly a survivaly game, but it has a deep and cool story

So does subnautica below zero, it's story is larger than previus one and has characters and is overall very good.

The graphics are also lovely and gameplay is pretty cool

3 minutes ago, rice guru said:

,ass effecyt isdnt a super long enndeavor its 3 games in one but you can take them in chunks the first game took me about 15 hours to play the second takes about 20 to 50 at most same with 3  but waiting on another sale is not a bad idea if you dont think you can get to it there is always the fall and winter sale where it can be cheaper anyway

i might buy them if i won't get any other recommendations the play time is not that bad,i used to game being 60-80 hours long(trails of cold steel).

2 minutes ago, rice guru said:

fire watch is a relaxing pretty little gamenoot hard at all and fairly short fdefinitely worth the sale price

thank you very much for your recommendations

2 minutes ago, Lotinsh said:

Oh, I have 2 more amazing games, Subnautica and Subnautica Below zero.

Subnautica is mostly a survivaly game, but it has a deep and cool story

So does subnautica below zero, it's story is larger than previus one and has characters and is overall very good.

The graphics are also lovely and gameplay is pretty cool

ill check it out.

thanks

Prey - same developer as Dishonored with a sci-fi setting inspired by System Shock

System Shock - Upcoming remake of the seminal 90's first person sci-fi shooter/hacker game which spiritually inspired Bioshock, Prey, and many others

Greedfall - party-based RPG in the tradition of old Bioware games, clunky combat and somewhat lacking in budget but a unique story and setting, just got a new DLC

Control - action-adventure game with a story inspired by X-Files/Steven King/SCP Foundation and amazing combat using telekinetic powers

Thief - widely considered not as good as the old Thief games but if you like sneaking around in Victorian fantasy settings like Dishonored, it's $3

Deus Ex Human Revolution and Deus Ex Mankind Divided - Near-future transhumanist first-person stealth/shooter games

If you don't mind a little extra work setting them up, you could also try out the original Thief and Deus Ex games, assuming you've never played them. Dated graphics and some 90's/2000's jank of course but they hold up well in story and atmosphere. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

2 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Prey - same developer as Dishonored with a sci-fi setting inspired by System Shock

System Shock - Upcoming remake of the seminal 90's first person sci-fi shooter/hacker game which spiritually inspired Bioshock, Prey, and many others

Greedfall - party-based RPG in the tradition of old Bioware games, clunky combat and somewhat lacking in budget but a unique story and setting, just got a new DLC

Control - action-adventure game with a story inspired by X-Files/Steven King/SCP Foundation and amazing combat using telekinetic powers

Thief - widely considered not as good as the old Thief games but if you like sneaking around in Victorian fantasy settings like Dishonored, it's $3

Deus Ex Human Revolution and Deus Ex Mankind Divided - Near-future transhumanist first-person stealth/shooter games

If you don't mind a little extra work setting them up, you could also try out the original Thief and Deus Ex games, assuming you've never played them. Dated graphics and some 90's/2000's jank of course but they hold up well in story and atmosphere. 

thanks for the super informative response ill check them out

about control i played it 2 weeks ago didn't liked the story but the combat was amazing

45 minutes ago, aBattleBorn said:

thanks for the super informative response ill check them out

about control i played it 2 weeks ago didn't liked the story but the combat was amazing

Your opinion on Control's story will depend on how much you like paranormal spooky shit, and on how much you need narratives to have clear explanations and resolutions. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

2 hours ago, aBattleBorn said:

amazing, it has the best video game story IMO

my signiture was cool, but its a lie now

I second Deus Ex, Dishonored, Prey and pretty much any immersive sim game. Not just because of the narratives, but also for the gameplay.

If you want to cry, play To The Moon. Or basically any of the games made by Freebird Games. Not a lot there in terms of gameplay, but they're really effectively written little stories.

The first Walking Dead season also had a pretty good narrative overall, just don't replay it or you'll see how little your choices actually matter. In the same vein The Wolf Among Us has a pretty good story too, basically identical gameplay though. I haven't kept up with Telltale after that because the gameplay was just overall too similar between titles, but it certainly managed to keep me entertained for two games.

If you want to go old school, I really enjoyed Grim Fandango. Be prepared for a bunch of insanely unintuitive puzzle though.

Similarly old school, Planescape: Torment has often been described as the best book you'll ever play. But the gameplay is very much of its time, meaning very tedious at times.

The Talos Principle has a massively intriguing narrative behind it, but you really have to pay attention and read between the lines to get the most out of it.

The Stanley Parable is great if you like the story to be part of the gameplay itself.

And now a word from our sponsor: 💩

-.-. --- --- .-.. --..-- / -.-- --- ..- / -.- -. --- .-- / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. .

ᑐᑌᑐᑢ

Spoiler

▄██████                                                      ▄██▀

▄█▀   ███                                                      ██

▄██     ███                                                      ██

███   ▄████  ▄█▀  ▀██▄    ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄     ▄████▄██   ▄████▄

███████████ ███     ███ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀███▄ ▄██▀ ▀████ ▄██▀ ▀███▄

████▀   ███ ▀██▄   ▄██▀ ███    ███ ███        ███    ███ ███    ███ ███    ███

██▄    ███ ▄ ▀██▄██▀    ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄██   ███▄ ▄███  ███▄ ▄███▄ ███▄ ▄██

▀█▄    ▀█ ██▄ ▀█▀     ▄ ▀████▀     ▀████▀     ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀▀██▄ ▀████▀

▄█ ▄▄      ▄█▄  █▀            █▄                   ▄██  ▄▀

▀  ██      ███                ██                    ▄█