John McAfee, founder of McAfee Antivirus, found dead in prison after Spanish court permits extradition

JogerJ

Summary

John McAfee was found dead in his cell after Spanish High Court agreed to extradite McAfee to the United States. His death was ruled as suicide.

Quotes

Earlier on Wednesday, the Spanish High Court had agreed to extradite McAfee, who has been charged with a number of federal financial crimes in two districts in the United States.

McAfee was hit with a 10-count indictment in the Western District of Tennessee in October for allegedly evading taxes on millions of dollars in income.

He was also charged in a separate indictment in Manhattan federal court in March for a pump and dump scheme involving cryptocurrencies that he was touting on social media.

In that case, McAfee and an accomplice allegedly bilked bitcoin investors out of some $13 million in two schemes, including one where they bought up large quantities of “alt-coin” then inflated the price of it by publicizing it on Twitter. 

They then sold off the cryptocurrency at the inflated price and made a $2 million profit, prosecutors said. 

Anti-virus software entrepreneur John McAfee has been found dead in his prison cell in Spain from where he faced extradition to the US to answer charges of tax evasion. 

McAfee was arrested at Barcelona airport last year, but judges ruled he should remain in custody.

Officials there said that the apparent cause of death was suicide.

A court decision issued earlier on Wednesday said the tech entrepreneur should be handed over to authorities in the United States.

US prosecutors allege the 75-year-old failed to file tax returns for four years, despite earning millions from consulting work, speaking engagements, and crypto-currencies.

If he had been convicted, he would have faced up to 30 years in prison.

My thoughts

I honestly don't know what to say other than prayers for his family and hope the incident will be thoroughly investigated to ensure no foul play.

Sources

https://nypost.com/2021/06/23/john-mcafee-dies-by-suicide-inside-prison-in-barcelona/
https://www.dw.com/en/john-mcafee-found-dead-in-prison-after-spanish-court-permits-extradition/a-58023664

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/jun/23/john-mcafee-dead-spain-prison-extradition

If you found my answer to your post helpful, be sure to react or mark it as solution 😄

Probably unrelated to tech and locked in 3... 2... 1...

I like cute animal pics.

Mac Studio | Ryzen 7 5800X3D + RTX 3090

Just now, n0stalghia said:

Probably unrelated to tech and locked in 3... 2... 1...

Well, not a lock, just...

-Moved to Off Topic-

Because while the main person is known for something majorly Tech, the core article itself has nothing to do with technology. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

2 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Well, not a lock, just...

-Moved to Off Topic-

Because while the main person is known for something majorly Tech, the core article itself has nothing to do with technology. 

whoops my bad sorry about that. Thanks for moving it tho

If you found my answer to your post helpful, be sure to react or mark it as solution 😄

givingtnt.thumb.gif.f3366f960b6bcc2c07d6

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

-= Locked =-

Topic is similar to. One thread is good.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER