How to access both router and modem on Desktop PC

Strayan_Hades
Go to solution Solved by Falcon1986,
36 minutes ago, Strayan_Hades said:

So what would be the best solution? Or am I stuck with double Nat

My simple approach to this would be to convert the AC88U to AP mode and assign it a static LAN IP outside of the DSL-AC86U’s DHCP pool. That way, any client device that connects to either device, whether wired or wireless, will be on the same network/subnet.

Hi,

Just wanting to know is it possible to access both my modem and router via my desktop. Problem is my PC is directly connected to my modem but can't gain access to the router.

Is there a way to fix this?

Modem: Asus DSL-AC68U

Router:  Asus RT-AC88U

Any help on this would be great?

Cheers

ipconfig will give you the addresses you need to access your router

The modem will have a different IP address, depending on the make/model of it

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 hour ago, Radium_Angel said:

ipconfig will give you the addresses you need to access your router

The modem will have a different IP address, depending on the make/model of it

Yeah I know the IP's but I can't access the router settings on my Desktop. Because it's directly connected to the modem not the router via Ethernet. So I have to use a wifi enabled device to connect to my router to edit its settings.

1 hour ago, Strayan_Hades said:

Yeah I know the IP's but I can't access the router settings on my Desktop. Because it's directly connected to the modem not the router via Ethernet. So I have to use a wifi enabled device to connect to my router to edit its settings.

Why is your desktop not connected to the router?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

12 hours ago, Strayan_Hades said:

The DSL-AC68U is not just a modem; it's a gateway device, so it is a modem/router combo in the default working mode. The AC88U is a router in it's default working mode.

You've created a double-NAT if you haven't made specific IP address changes. So the reason you can't access one device is likely due to them being on different IP networks/subnets.

12 hours ago, Strayan_Hades said:

Hi,

Just wanting to know is it possible to access both my modem and router via my desktop. Problem is my PC is directly connected to my modem but can't gain access to the router.

Is there a way to fix this?

Any help on this would be great?

Cheers

You should be connected to the router, not the modem.

42 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

The DSL-AC68U is not just a modem; it's a gateway device, so it is a modem/router combo in the default working mode. The AC88U is a router in it's default working mode.

You've created a double-NAT if you haven't made specific IP address changes. So the reason you can't access one device is likely due to them being on different IP networks/subnets.

37 minutes ago, Strayan_Hades said:

The best solution is to see if the "Modem" offers a bridge mode. Or you use the "Router" as an AP. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

36 minutes ago, Strayan_Hades said:

My simple approach to this would be to convert the AC88U to AP mode and assign it a static LAN IP outside of the DSL-AC86U’s DHCP pool. That way, any client device that connects to either device, whether wired or wireless, will be on the same network/subnet.

47 minutes ago, Falcon1986 said:

How do I create a static ip? An I think I have it set to the standard Access point mode.

19 hours ago, Strayan_Hades said:

How do I create a static ip? An I think I have it set to the standard Access point mode.

On the AC68U, adjust the LAN DHCP pool. For example, if the current range is 192.168.1.2-192.168.1.254, trim it down to say 192.168.1.20-192.168.1.254. That leaves anything from 192.168.1.2-192.168.1.19 (inclusive) as available for static IP assignment.

Assuming your AC68U is assigned to 192.168.1.1, you can configure the AC88U's LAN settings as:

• IP - 192.168.1.2
  • Subnet mask - 255.255.255.0 (same as AC68U)
  • Gateway/DNS - 192.168.1.1 (the AC68U's LAN IP)

Since the AC88U is configured in AP mode, NAT will be handled by the upstream AC68U.