Resize latest LTT Video boxes

Spotty

On the panel on the right of the page it shows the latest Linus Tech Tips & other channel videos. Can the blocks be resized so the video correctly fits the box and there's no black bars? It would look better and it would take up less vertical space on the page, and the right panel already extends the page quite a lot on threads with only a few replies.

The box for the video thumbnail is 320x240 (4:3) but the video thumbnail is 320x180 (16:9). Setting the box to 320x180 should remove the black bars.

How it looks now & how it would look fixed.

image.png

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

8 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Tbh i never noticed that. The black bars aren't very visible in dark mode 😄 

Less noticeable on dark mode due to the darker background colour but the extra spacing between the videos and the video title is still pretty noticeable.

Dark mode.

image.png

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Technically, the box is the correct size, its the Image preview (480x360) that the black lines are coming from.

hqdefault.jpg

You could set a custom CSS rule however with something like Stylus to slim it down. This is what I personally have.

Spoiler

image.png.406bf9e1c0a85f24f9feff5566e52ca2.png

/* Sidebar Youtube Video Images */
    .lmg-card .card-img-a {
        width: unset !important;
        margin: unset;
    }

.ipsWidget .card-img {
        margin-top: -28px;
        margin-bottom: -28px;
    }

My Personal Stylus Theme if interested in something that takes up less space around the forum. https://github.com/Nayr438/ltt_stylus_theme

I don't think it would be wise to do it even if they can, if they ever decided to do a 16:9 video it would end up cropped.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 minute ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

I don't think it would be wise to do it even if they can, if they ever decided to do a 16:9 video it would end up cropped.

The thumbnail image should always be 16:9 regardless of the video aspect ratio. The LTT videos are 2:1 but the thumbnail is 16:9. It's the same for Youtube where the thumbnails for all videos are 16:9 (210x118). If you look at the latest LTT video for example in the 16:9 thumbnail you can see the pink watch band on his hand but if you click to view the video which is 2:1 aspect ratio the preview the watch on his wrist is cut off. You can also see it at the top of the video where more of his hair and the top corner of the monitor is cut off when the thumbnail is displayed at 2:1 ratio to match the video player.

Spoiler

Thumbnail displayed on the channel page (16:9):

image.png

Thumbnail displayed in the video player (2:1 to match video aspect ratio):

image.png

49 minutes ago, Nayr438 said:

Technically, the box is the correct size, its the Image preview (480x360) that the black lines are coming from.

Ah, that makes sense. I didn't even think to check the actual image of the preview being used. Might be possible to pull a thumbnail preview image for the videos in 16:9 aspect ratio without the black bars, otherwise CSS adjustments like you have could fix it.

19 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Might be possible to pull a thumbnail preview image for the videos in 16:9 aspect ratio without the black bars, otherwise CSS adjustments like you have could fix it.

After looking into it a bit, I stumbled across a informative post about this and yes there are different images you can pull in.

This one seems like a good candidate, i.ytimg.com/vi/odZSCdNTFPw/mqdefault.jpg

But heres a list of available formats.

Spoiler

• Player Background Thumbnail (480x360):
    • WebP
      • i.ytimg.com/vi_webp/odZSCdNTFPw/0.webp
    • JPG
      • i.ytimg.com/vi/odZSCdNTFPw/0.jpg
  • Video frames thumbnails (120x90)

• WebP:
      • Start:
        • i.ytimg.com/vi_webp/odZSCdNTFPw/1.webp
      • Middle:
        • i.ytimg.com/vi_webp/odZSCdNTFPw/2.webp
      • End:
        • i.ytimg.com/vi_webp/odZSCdNTFPw/3.webp
    • JPG:
      • Start:
        • i.ytimg.com/vi/odZSCdNTFPw/1.jpg
      • Middle:
        • i.ytimg.com/vi/odZSCdNTFPw/2.jpg
      • End:
        • i.ytimg.com/vi/odZSCdNTFPw/3.jpg
  • Lowest quality thumbnail (120x90)
    • WebP
      • i.ytimg.com/vi_webp/odZSCdNTFPw/default.webp
    • JPG
      • i.ytimg.com/vi/odZSCdNTFPw/default.jpg
  • Medium quality thumbnail (320x180)
    • WebP
      • i.ytimg.com/vi_webp/odZSCdNTFPw/mqdefault.webp
    • JPG
      • i.ytimg.com/vi/odZSCdNTFPw/mqdefault.jpg
  • High quality thumbnail (480x360)
    • WebP
      • i.ytimg.com/vi_webp/odZSCdNTFPw/hqdefault.webp
    • JPG
      • i.ytimg.com/vi/odZSCdNTFPw/hqdefault.jpg
  • Standard quality thumbnail (640x480)
    • WebP
      • i.ytimg.com/vi_webp/odZSCdNTFPw/sddefault.webp
    • JPG
      • i.ytimg.com/vi/odZSCdNTFPw/sddefault.jpg
  • Unscaled thumbnail resolution
    • WebP
      • i.ytimg.com/vi_webp/odZSCdNTFPw/maxresdefault.webp
    • JPG
      • i.ytimg.com/vi/odZSCdNTFPw/maxresdefault.jpg

26 minutes ago, Nayr438 said:

After looking into it a bit, I stumbled across a informative post about this and yes there are different images you can pull in.

This one seems like a good candidate, i.ytimg.com/vi/odZSCdNTFPw/mqdefault.jpg

But heres a list of available formats.

Interesting, that one keeps the 16:9 aspect ratio but most of the higher quality ones use 4:3 with black bars for some reason.

I think the intention is to use a higher quality image and then scale it down. The image currently used is 480x360 then scaled down to fit 320x240 on desktop. On desktop it's displayed at 320 pixel width but that might be different on mobile displays and need a higher resolution thumbnail. My phone with a 2340x1080 display seems to display the current 480x360 thumbnail at approximately 1030x773.

Spoiler

image.png

26 minutes ago, Nayr438 said:

Unscaled thumbnail resolution

• WebP
    • i.ytimg.com/vi_webp/odZSCdNTFPw/maxresdefault.webp
  • JPG
    • i.ytimg.com/vi/odZSCdNTFPw/maxresdefault.jpg

The Unscaled thumbnail resolution image is the only other 16:9 thumbnail and is higher quality (1280x720) so that might also be an option.

Edited by Spotty

This happened because I switched over to a different API, which provides less (no) flexibility on stuff like that. I think I can solve it by just doing a find/replace on the image URL to get it to the format that I want, but I do need to do a bit of testing to validate that approach.

HTTP/2 203