Windows 8.1 update for making it more mice and keybourd friendly

Sharif
Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,

Microsoft showed at their BUILD event, the new start menu on Windows 8.1 Update 1 for those who have trouble with the Start Screen, running with desktop and mouse.

Also, universal ModernUI apps (Modern UI apps that can run on anything) can run in windowed mode on the desktop.

buildlive1130.jpg

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2014/04/02/microsoft-teases-a-classic-start-menu-for-windows-8-1-with-built/?ncid=rss_truncated

Update 1:

So just an update, the Start Menu and metro app in Windows will be a future update, and not part of Update 1 coming up next week

As there was no real demo of it at the BUILD event, it looks like it's still in the works.

Source: http://gizmodo.com/windows-8-1-update-hands-on-terrific-tweaks-for-the-m-1556697548

Update 2

Microsoft PR releases a screen shot of the new Start Menu, and windowed mode Windows 8 Apps:

9a.jpg

Notice how the Start Menu is less wide as the article picture. This indicates that it will scale width wise as you add more Windows 8 Apps tiles.

Source: http://www.techpowerup.com/199505/microsoft-showcases-latest-updates-to-windows.html

who CARES? we have had the start button since like a week after win 8 came out... in many different forms, some great some less good, took 2m to install..

ClassicStart wasn't built into the system, it ran as a program and could break because of it. It also took a while for it to load after windows already came on, so it kind of felt out of place. 

It wasn't bad, but I'd really like the thing specifically built by Microsoft. 

So just an update, the Start Menu and metro app in Windows will be a future update, and not part of Update 1 coming up next week

As there was no real demo of it at the BUILD event, it looks like it's still in the works.

words can not express the joy I am felling right now!!!

Maybe now I'll upgrade to Windows 8.

(No seriously, I mean it.)

COMIC SANS

Well well well... Looks like I'll be upgrading to Windows 8 soon.

I have no idea why it took Microsoft so long to finally realize this is what a lot of people wanted.

Well well well... Looks like I'll be upgrading to Windows 8 soon.

I have no idea why it took Microsoft so long to finally realize this is what a lot of people wanted.

Probably because contrary to popular belief win8 is selling quite well and has a reasonable uptake even though there is a vocal enthusiast crowd who hate the original iteration.  If I was MS I would be a bit reluctant to change it earlier on than this on grounds the sales figures were at odds with public perception.

It is also interesting to note that this year the uptake on win 7 has finally started to decrease, which means there is more chance win8 will be the os people move to from XP. Maybe this update was timed to capitalise on that?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Quick video of the new features of 8.1 update

I don't know if this is a feature already in windows 8.1 but the taskbar in the videos thumbnail is transparent.. could this mean the return of aero & aero glass?

I don't know if this is a feature already in windows 8.1 but the taskbar in the videos thumbnail is transparent.. could this mean the return of aero & aero glass?

It's always been like that.

Do not want, Metro UI is best UI

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

It's always been like that.

Ah thanks

Do not want, Metro UI is best UI

Well I do want it why can't we have both?

Ah thanks

Well I do want it why can't we have both?

That can happen.

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

so no more rage inducing windows 8 metro.. YESS!

I don't get why everyone is happy tbh. Just download Windows8 Start? Why is everyone happy now?

i dont like running 3rd party shell change apps never have. i try to install as little amount of 3rd party software as possible. i have only reinstalled windows 7 twice, the second time was when i got my SSD still runs like the day i installed it

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

Quick video of the new features of 8.1 update

this is great, covers a lot of my current gripes with windows 8.1 (taskbar, minimize/close for modern apps)

Chant with me, SATYA SATYA SATYA SATYA!

(idk if this was his decision, but looks like MS is heading into the right direction)

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

this is great, covers a lot of my current gripes with windows 8.1 (taskbar, minimize/close for modern apps)

Chant with me, SATYA SATYA SATYA SATYA!

(idk if this was his decision, but looks like MS is heading into the right direction)

not going to lie i read this as STRAYA STRAYA STRAYA STRAYA! and i thought it was legit because of the kangaroo avatar

Processor: Intel core i7 930 @3.6  Mobo: Asus P6TSE  GPU: EVGA GTX 680 SC  RAM:12 GB G-skill Ripjaws 2133@1333  SSD: Intel 335 240gb  HDD: Seagate 500gb

Monitors: 2x Samsung 245B  Keyboard: Blackwidow Ultimate   Mouse: Zowie EC1 Evo   Mousepad: Goliathus Alpha  Headphones: MMX300  Case: Antec DF-85

Probably because contrary to popular belief win8 is selling quite well and has a reasonable uptake even though there is a vocal enthusiast crowd who hate the original iteration.  If I was MS I would be a bit reluctant to change it earlier on than this on grounds the sales figures were at odds with public perception.

It is also interesting to note that this year the uptake on win 7 has finally started to decrease, which means there is more chance win8 will be the os people move to from XP. Maybe this update was timed to capitalise on that?

It's selling so well that companies like HP don't advertise it on any system that doesn't have a touch screen attached, they only advertise Windows 7 and have the fact that it's actually a downgrade in the small print.

Edited by othertomperson

I'm running Windows 8.1 Update 1 installed clean, it's basically Windows 8.1 with a few new features and core fixes thrown in. Worth the upgrade imo, especially if you are a desktop user.

It's selling so well that companies like HP don't advertise it on any system that doesn't have a touch screen attached, they only advertise Windows 7 and have the fact that it's actually a downgrade in the small print.

that's not true, I went straight to the HP desktop store and every computer has win 8 as the standard OS.

http://h20386.www2.hp.com/AustraliaStore/images/auhpshop/ols/category.html#for-home-desktop

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I hope I can keep the regular Start screen like what it has now. I actually like it as much, if not more, than the regular start menu. But the windowed Metro apps... WHOOO WEE!!!! I like that.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (9TB partition for general storage + 2TB partition for dumping ground), 4x 8TB WD White Label/Red (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

OptiPlex 7040M

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700, 2x16GB Mushkin Redline (stuck at 2133MHz CL13), 240GB Corsair MP510, 130w Dell power brick, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

that's not true, I went straight to the HP desktop store and every computer has win 8 as the standard OS.

http://h20386.www2.hp.com/AustraliaStore/images/auhpshop/ols/category.html#for-home-desktop

AFAIK, you can have an option to have Windows 7 installed.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (9TB partition for general storage + 2TB partition for dumping ground), 4x 8TB WD White Label/Red (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

OptiPlex 7040M

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700, 2x16GB Mushkin Redline (stuck at 2133MHz CL13), 240GB Corsair MP510, 130w Dell power brick, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

AFAIK, you can have an option to have Windows 7 installed.

some manufacturers will give you the option, suffice to say the HP site does not make it easy to buy a desktop with win 7, so If it is an option they don't really want people to take it up.

I.... actually don't want it back.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Microsoft PR releases a screen shot of the new Start Menu, and windowed mode Windows 8 Apps:

9a.jpg

Notice how the Start Menu is less wide as the article picture. This indicates that it will scale width wise as you add more Windows 8 Apps tiles.

I.... actually don't want it back.

Same.

Windowed modern apps is a big plus though.

I might actually be willing to not 100% completely hate Windows 8 now.. but, have they removed the whole-appscreen competely(moved it to the start menu instead)?

NO of course not. There is still the start screen. Now, people natively have the option to use windows like it always was in the past with the start menu. That is the whole point. OPTIONS! That's what makes it awesome. If you don't want to use the start screen now you don't have to. People could have always downloaded a start menu from classic shell or startdock but MS should have had this option before. Windows 8.1 will finally be the best operating system for desktops, tablets, and two in ones now. Amazing for touch interface and mouse and keyboard or a mixture of both.