Windows 8.1 update for making it more mice and keybourd friendly

Sharif
Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,

Microsoft showed at their BUILD event, the new start menu on Windows 8.1 Update 1 for those who have trouble with the Start Screen, running with desktop and mouse.

Also, universal ModernUI apps (Modern UI apps that can run on anything) can run in windowed mode on the desktop.

buildlive1130.jpg

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2014/04/02/microsoft-teases-a-classic-start-menu-for-windows-8-1-with-built/?ncid=rss_truncated

Update 1:

So just an update, the Start Menu and metro app in Windows will be a future update, and not part of Update 1 coming up next week

As there was no real demo of it at the BUILD event, it looks like it's still in the works.

Source: http://gizmodo.com/windows-8-1-update-hands-on-terrific-tweaks-for-the-m-1556697548

Update 2

Microsoft PR releases a screen shot of the new Start Menu, and windowed mode Windows 8 Apps:

9a.jpg

Notice how the Start Menu is less wide as the article picture. This indicates that it will scale width wise as you add more Windows 8 Apps tiles.

Source: http://www.techpowerup.com/199505/microsoft-showcases-latest-updates-to-windows.html

arrives at April 8th as an automatic download

NewStartScreen.jpg

The whole point of Windows 8 was to make Microsoft's aging OS easier to use on touchscreen devices. Mission accomplished, we'd say (more or less). But now the folks in Redmond have a new challenge afoot: Make Windows 8 equally easy to use on tablets and traditional PCs. The company's already made some progress -- last year's Windows 8.1 update was all about keyboard shortcuts, better multitasking and the return of the Start button (sort of). Now, with its latest update, Microsoft is going after mouse-and-keyboard users. In particular, you can pin Windows Store apps to the desktop Taskbar, and close out of a Metro app by pressing an "X" in the upper-right corner. Heck, you can even shut down without having to open the Charms Bar. Shocking, we know.

its also has a lot of new tweaks done to it and updates

check it out in the main article

finally!!!! i was waiting for such a long time for this :D

source engadget

thats a update not a solution if anybody is wondering :)

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

woohooo

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

About god damned time..... Thanks for sharing sharif

the amount of time people where taking to reply

i got worried wondering if this is a repost i guess not because i searched everywhere and still am but i will be stopping now :D

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

I have to upgrade to 8.1 sometime again. I did it when it first came out, but Steelseries engine at the time didn't support it so I went back. But now that it does I have to stop being lazy :(

the amount of time people where taking to reply

i got worried wondering if this is a repost i guess not because i searched everywhere and still am but i will be stopping now :D

Haha you silly bastard. Its usually search then make the post, to avoid reposts altogether. 

r5bhyzu.gif

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Haha you silly bastard. Its usually search then make the post, to avoid reposts altogether. 

r5bhyzu.gif

I did but at first i didn't look for it properly becasue i was worried someone else might post before me :ph34r:

cause i thought its finely my chance to be refereed on the WAN show for posting this ^w^

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

I did but at first i didn't look for it properly becasue i was worried someone else might post before me :ph34r:

News posting competition 2.0? May the person the quickest fingers win! 

Thought so... haha

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

I am still rocking Windows 7 :D

I think it's waaay better, easier and faster.

"and close out of a Metro app by pressing an "X" in the upper-right corner"

One of the massive design flaws of Windows 8. Holy shit, it took MS ages to realise this. I don't use Metro apps anyway, so it hasn't made an impact on me.

same here

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

You can already shut down without the charms bar, right click start tjhen shut down.

Also pressing escape in the metro ui closes the metro ui.

I don't see that many interesting things here.

My bad didn't notice the other much cooler stuff.

CPU: i5 4430 PSU: XFX 550w Ram: 8gb Patriot Viper 1600mhz

Motherboard: MSI H87M-G43 Case: Fractal Design Define R4

SSD: 840 Evo 250gb, 512gb MX100 GPU: MSI GTX 980TI Gaming Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo

Is this what we've come to?

Rejoicing that a Graphical User Interface of an Operating System has been finally updated to make it more mouse and keyboard friendly?

I'd love to watch some form of time-travel reality show we watch an audience from the past laugh at our future selves, and then laugh along with them.

does that mean its like a windows update auto

My Setup :P

Spoiler

Skylake: I7-6700|MSI B150 GAMING M3|16GB GSKILL RIPJAWS V|R9 280X (WILL BE 1070)|CRUCIAL MX300 + WD BLACK 1TB

Now you can run apps on windows

The new start menu for desktop!!!!!!!

thats nice

i already got used to not having the start menu any more though......

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

I am still rocking Windows 7 :D

I think it's waaay better, easier and faster.

well its better but its not faster

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Lulz @ Win7 being faster. 

It never was. 

Now all the crybabies can put their money where their mouths were. The precious start menu is back. Go switch already.

Microsoft showed at their BUILD event, the new start menu on Windows 8.1 Update 1 for those who have trouble with the Start Screen, running with desktop and mouse.

Also, universal ModernUI apps (Modern UI apps that can run on anything) can run in windowed mode on the desktop.

buildlive1130.jpg

Source: http://www.engadget.com/2014/04/02/microsoft-teases-a-classic-start-menu-for-windows-8-1-with-built/?ncid=rss_truncated

Update 1:

So just an update, the Start Menu and metro app in Windows will be a future update, and not part of Update 1 coming up next week

As there was no real demo of it at the BUILD event, it looks like it's still in the works.

Source: http://gizmodo.com/windows-8-1-update-hands-on-terrific-tweaks-for-the-m-1556697548

Update 2

Microsoft PR releases a screen shot of the new Start Menu, and windowed mode Windows 8 Apps:

9a.jpg

Notice how the Start Menu is less wide as the article picture. This indicates that it will scale width wise as you add more Windows 8 Apps tiles.

Source: http://www.techpowerup.com/199505/microsoft-showcases-latest-updates-to-windows.html

guywithburgerandfistsayingdamn.gif

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Start menu?

OUR PRAYERS HAVE BEEN HEARD!

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014

Hmm... it might be time for me to finally switch to Windows 8.

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

If this turns out well, i might finally switch.
But W7 will always have a place in my heart.  :P

Core i7 2600  Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3P-B3  EVGA GTX 970 FTW  16Gb 1600Mhz G.SKILL

Samsung 500Gb 840EVO RAID0 Random 80GB HDD Corsair GS700 Corsair ArticWhite C70

Hmm... it might be time for me to finally switch to Windows 8.

what he said.

| i5 4690K 4,4Ghz | Gtx 680 Msi twin frozr Oc edition | Kingston HyperX 2 x 4 Gb | Asus Z97-A | Seagate Barracuda 1 TB| Samsung 840 EVO SSD 120GB | Fractal Design Integra 750 W | All gently placed with great fright inside a Fractal Design Define R4 |

| ProJect Head Box S USB with Hifiman HE-400's plugged in | Check profile page for more Audio shizzle(dizzle) |

According to the Verge (http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/2/5574830/windows-9-start-menu-new-desktop-experience)

A major Windows 8.1 update is coming later this month, but neither of the new features will make it into that refresh. They're likely to be a major selling point for the next version of Windows, thought to be called Windows 9.

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile