Modding a Corporate Imaged Dell Optiplex 7070 into a laptop for traveling?

I work for a large corporation. I work remotely, and I'm provided with a corporate imaged desktop computer. They told us they would give us laptops, but reneged on that promise. I want to travel. I shouldn't be stuck at home, when I can do my job from anywhere that internet is available. It's just not feasible to lug a mini desktop computer, monitor, keyboard, mouse, webcam, and headset into a Starbucks every time I have to make that money.

I highly doubt I could just clone the hard drive to a laptop, because the image used is ridiculously locked down, driver compatibility, and the mac address is how I'm provisioned onto the VPN.

How hard would it be, to buy an old, laptop, with a good keyboard and screen, and transfer the logic board of the Dell Optiplex 7070 into it, and get it hooked up and working with the laptop parts? The crafting and fitting it into a case, should be the easy part. It's the connecting to a laptop screen and laptop keyboard that will be the challenge.

• I don't necessarily need a battery, it can be plugged in full time.
  • Touchpad wouldn't be necessary, because I would use a wireless mouse.
  • I know I'd have to worry about thermals... some of our software tends to ramp up the fans on it.
  • It has to be reversible... because eventually I'd need to turn in the computer, whether for an upgrade, or if I leave the company.

Does anyone have recommendations for a donor laptop, and how to go about connecting the keyboard and screen? Or a different solution to my problem?

image.thumb.png.df2ff4144908ec41cb71de54945a5541.png

I'm thinking an old thick laptop like this, because that would give me more space in the case. Just unsure if the keyboard could be connected, and if I can get an LCD driver board that would be compatible. Would also want a single power cord, powering the computer and screen... maybe the screen powered by USB-C?

image.thumb.png.272a5fa8e2433b8fad3d58b7cb649273.png

doable maybe but just buy a cheap laptop and get them to install there stuff on it.

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

27 minutes ago, thrasher_565 said:

doable maybe but just buy a cheap laptop and get them to install there stuff on it.

I offered to purchase my own laptop and let our IT department image it, but they refuse. I don’t know why. Corporate BS.

try cloning the work drive into a disk image and run it from a virtual machine on your laptop.

its probably not a good idea to try if IT doesnt want to do it. not because it would be hard to do but because then the company would have a reason to fire you for "destroying company property" since the desktop is owned by corporate.

4 hours ago, tdkid said:

its probably not a good idea to try if IT doesnt want to do it. not because it would be hard to do but because then the company would have a reason to fire you for "destroying company property" since the desktop is owned by corporate.

agreed

8 hours ago, RaddyKewl said:

I offered to purchase my own laptop and let our IT department image it, but they refuse. I don’t know why. Corporate BS.

even thow the pc is small you can take it any ware dose not mean it should be if you job is that tight

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

9 hours ago, RaddyKewl said:

Because it's a work environment meant to be used in secure locations, theyre trying to protect customer data, If you live in the UK you should be familiar to the GDPR Regulations previously known as data protection act 1998

#Murica(butinternational)parrotgang

I’m willing to assume the risk of damaging it.

8 hours ago, tdkid said:

I’m willing to assume that risk. They’ve had plenty of reasons to fire me over the years, and still haven’t done it.

3 hours ago, Alexsheff93 said:

Because it's a work environment meant to be used in secure locations, theyre trying to protect customer data, If you live in the UK you should be familiar to the GDPR Regulations previously known as data protection act 1998

Some of my colleagues with the same job title who were hired after me, were issued laptops. We were also told that we are free to travel and work, as long as we don’t leave the US. Several of my colleagues, including managers already do.

The only reason they’re not giving us laptops is budget reasons.

9 minutes ago, RaddyKewl said:

I’m willing to assume the risk of damaging it.

I’m willing to assume that risk. They’ve had plenty of reasons to fire me over the years, and still haven’t done it.

if they have already had several reasons to fire you and not have done it then my guess is that those reasons would not have been good enough reasons if they were to fire you and you sue them for wrongful termination. please make a reddit post about some of them as i would love to hear them.

anyway if you are saying that people who have the same job as you and hired after you were given laptops and told they can travel then either you are better at your job then they are or they want someone to take the fall if something goes wrong. either way i would start paying close attention to everything they do and secretly record it on a non company issued device. for instance a set of spy glasses of audio recorder.

what you seem to be looking for is a 1990s laptop because they were thick enough to support a desktop inside of them. you might not be able to find one in good working order for cheap. not to mention that when you do leave the company, you are going to have to turn it into them since it has their parts inside of it.

asoming that you can fit it in a thicc laptop what moding skills do you have i mean you need to solder, cut plastic, drill, revers engineer.  not only that you would need a controller to convert and old laptop screen witch would suck ass to use... to connect it to the pc

it probably be better to make your own case 3d print it and find a HDMI screen way better

Soldering, cutting, drilling: that’s easy. Getting the keyboard and screen to connect: that’s my biggest challenge.

depending on the laptop, the screen is probably not going to be any better than a 240p 30hz at the most. in all seriousness i would probably look into getting a brand new laptop of your own and then having IT transfer everything that is needed to your laptop.

8 hours ago, tdkid said:

secretly record it on a non company issued device. for instance a set of spy glasses of audio recorder.

Depending on which state you are in, this is extremely bad advice that opens you up to lawsuits and potentially jail time and a criminal record. 

5 hours ago, Blue4130 said:

Depending on which state you are in, this is extremely bad advice that opens you up to lawsuits and potentially jail time and a criminal record. 

actually its not. would you ever tell a person committing a crime "hey do you mind if i record your illegal actions to be used against you?" if they say no then thats it? i dont think so. police record people all the time without telling them like their dash cams and yet that is all legal?

what this is would be OP gathering evidence to support their side in a legal battle if it ever came to one which most do not. 

3 hours ago, tdkid said:

actually its not. would you ever tell a person committing a crime "hey do you mind if i record your illegal actions to be used against you?" if they say no then thats it? i dont think so. police record people all the time without telling them like their dash cams and yet that is all legal?

what this is would be OP gathering evidence to support their side in a legal battle if it ever came to one which most do not. 

I suggest you look into wiretap laws (This is where recording people falls under) There are a number of states where it is very much illegal to record someone without the consent.

----------------------------------------------------------

• Definition. U.S. Code § 2510 et. seq. sets out the federal laws governing wiretapping. ...
  • Parties. Federal law, as well as many state laws, require one-party approval for anyone to legally record telephone or wire conversations.
  • Use. It is illegal to record, use or disclose information through the use of an illegal wire tap or recording device.
  • Applicability. Federal law enforcement officers can record phone calls and use wiretap devices only after applying for and being granted a warrant by a federal judge or magistrate.
  • Complications. While federal law allows one-party consent, not all states do. Some states require all parties to consent to the recording of any phone conversation.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

https://legalbeagle.com/6613194-federal-law-penalty-illegal-wiretapping.html

9 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

I suggest you look into wiretap laws (This is where recording people falls under) There are a number of states where it is very much illegal to record someone without the consent.

----------------------------------------------------------

• Definition. U.S. Code § 2510 et. seq. sets out the federal laws governing wiretapping. ...
  • Parties. Federal law, as well as many state laws, require one-party approval for anyone to legally record telephone or wire conversations.
  • Use. It is illegal to record, use or disclose information through the use of an illegal wire tap or recording device.
  • Applicability. Federal law enforcement officers can record phone calls and use wiretap devices only after applying for and being granted a warrant by a federal judge or magistrate.
  • Complications. While federal law allows one-party consent, not all states do. Some states require all parties to consent to the recording of any phone conversation.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

https://legalbeagle.com/6613194-federal-law-penalty-illegal-wiretapping.html

You do realize that is only for officers of the law right?

5 minutes ago, tdkid said:

You do realize that is only for officers of the law right?

No it most certainly is not. Really. Read up on it. Wiretapping laws apply to all citizens of said state. 

34 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

No it most certainly is not. Really. Read up on it. Wiretapping laws apply to all citizens of said state. 

Yes it most certainly is. It's common sense. You are never going to walk up to someone who is trying to break into a store saying "hey do you mind if I record your illegal actions?". I would look up so reddit stories because according to you they are breaking the law.

I am working right now and will edit or provide more info later

To clear this up, there are one-party states, that allow you to record telephone conversations with no consent required, and there are two party states, that do require you to ask. 

Wikipedia has a simple article outlining the one-party and two-party states. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_call_recording_laws#Two-party_consent_states

You can take detailed notes, but you cannot record without their explicit permission. 

There are obvious exceptions in most two-party states, that explain that you can record if one of the parties is threatening violence or committing another felony. For example, if your workplace was committing a felony, you have the right to record them. 

@tdkid

@Blue4130

I'd say:

Buy a sizable Pelican case, or a very durable briefcase sized case.

Mount a LCD To the top of the case.

Mount the tiny to the bottom of it.  Externally mount a power connector, and such.  use that as a "laptop"

1 hour ago, connorkincaid said:

To clear this up, there are one-party states, that allow you to record telephone conversations with no consent required, and there are two party states, that do require you to ask. 

Wikipedia has a simple article outlining the one-party and two-party states. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_call_recording_laws#Two-party_consent_states

You can take detailed notes, but you cannot record without their explicit permission. 

There are obvious exceptions in most two-party states, that explain that you can record if one of the parties is threatening violence or committing another felony. For example, if your workplace was committing a felony, you have the right to record them. 

@tdkid

@Blue4130

I don't think using Wikipedia is a good or even decent source for info. On the bottom of the pages is "this page was last edited by x on x tldate and time". If there was such a thing as 2 party consent states then every person who lives in that state would have to have a sign on their vehicle saying "I have a dashcam and you are being recorded" for those that do have dashcams. All cameras fall under the exact same law.

17 minutes ago, tdkid said:

I don't think using Wikipedia is a good or even decent source for info. On the bottom of the pages is "this page was last edited by x on x tldate and time". If there was such a thing as 2 party consent states then every person who lives in that state would have to have a sign on their vehicle saying "I have a dashcam and you are being recorded" for those that do have dashcams. All cameras fall under the exact same law.

You don't get it. Dashcams and police interactions are ENTIRELY different than recording a phone call with an employer OR really anyone else. They are TELEPHONE laws. 

Laws concerning dashcam recordings in your vehicle on a public motorway do not fall under the same law. You can record video and audio in public as much as you would like. 

All cameras do not fall under the same law. 

If you were stopped by an officer, YES, then you need to notify them right away (dashcam).

Wikipedia isn't a reliable source, but the sources that are at the bottom of the page are reliable, and if you'd verify them and check it out, you'd see that I'm correct! I was simply trying to give you something to look at so that you could understand, but I guess that didn't really work. 

Thank you! Have a nice day. 

34 minutes ago, tkitch said:

I'd say:

Buy a sizable Pelican case, or a very durable briefcase sized case.

Mount a LCD To the top of the case.

Mount the tiny to the bottom of it.  Externally mount a power connector, and such.  use that as a "laptop"

Briefcase PC : 7 Steps - Instructables