Is there a network switch that I can power over the Ethernet cable?

Jhinbe

Hi,

I want to take ethernet cables to three different rooms, so I need to place a switch somewhere. The best place to put it doesn't have an outlet nearby, so I was wondering whether there are switches that get their power over the Ethernet cables, even if they cost more than regular ones. Is this possible? I know next to nothing about networking hardware.

This is called Power over Ethernet (PoE) and is used a lot in enterprise environments. The hardware can be a bit more pricey though.

~edit: You do need something to provide that power though and that is usually the switch, which then powers the devices attached to it. There are PoE powered switches but, afaik, they are fairly expensive since they are somewhat unusual. (I stand corrected)

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

3 minutes ago, Jhinbe said:

Hi,

I want to take ethernet cables to three different rooms, so I need to place a switch somewhere. The best place to put it doesn't have an outlet nearby, so I was wondering whether there are switches that get their power over the Ethernet cables, even if they cost more than regular ones. Is this possible? I know next to nothing about networking hardware.

Ubiquiti Unifi Flex Mini

Minecraft plugin developer

Desktop:
CPU= I5 12400F
RAM = 2x 32gb DDR4 3200MHZ Corsair Vengeance LPX
Motherboard = MSI Z690-A-PRO Wifi DDR4
GPU= RTX 3050
SSD = Samsung 980 Pro 1TB
PSU= Corsair RM750

Laptop:
CPU= AMD Ryzen 5 5500u
RAM= 1X 4gb (soldered 3200mhz), 1x 16gb ddr4 3200mhz (so-dimm)
SSD= Samsung 970 Evo 1TB

Yes, there are, It's a technology called Power over Ethernet (PoE or 802.3af/at) though you'd also need either a switch at another location with PoE out to power the other switch or a PoE injector which needs to be plugged into a wall outlet. 

There are small ones like the Netgear GS105PE. If you search for PoE powered switch, you'll find some. 

Look for a PoE (power over Ethernet) powered switch, if you just type in POE switch you will get results for switches that can power other devices with PoE instead of switches that are themselves powered by PoE (you will still need either a switch that can provide PoE power or a PoE injector to power the smaller switch.

21 minutes ago, CustomEnchants said:

Ubiquiti Unifi Flex Mini

Looks good, thanks!

20 minutes ago, The_russian said:

Look for a PoE (power over Ethernet) powered switch, if you just type in POE switch you will get results for switches that can power other devices with PoE instead of switches that are themselves powered by PoE (you will still need either a switch that can provide PoE power or a PoE injector to power the smaller switch.

Oh nice, I think I will have to use a power injector but I was starting to think it couldn't be done (I have seen lots of PoE switches for powering other devices but none that were powered by it). Just in case, this works over a regular ethernet cable, right?

1 hour ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Yes, there are, It's a technology called Power over Ethernet (PoE or 802.3af/at) though you'd also need either a switch at another location with PoE out to power the other switch or a PoE injector which needs to be plugged into a wall outlet. 

There are small ones like the Netgear GS105PE. If you search for PoE powered switch, you'll find some. 

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Eigenvektor said:

This is called Power over Ethernet (PoE) and is used a lot in enterprise environments. The hardware can be a bit more pricey though.

~edit: You do need something to provide that power though and that is usually the switch, which then powers the devices attached to it. There are PoE powered switches but, afaik, they are fairly expensive since they are somewhat unusual. (I stand corrected)

Thanks! Yep, not enterprise-level expensive but still quite a bit more than regular ones

1 hour ago, Jhinbe said:

Just in case, this works over a regular ethernet cable, right?

Technically yes, but some cables are better suited for it than others, especially for longer runs of cable and/or high power draw. Cat6 and Cat7 cables have thicker conductors than Cat5e so will have less resistance, which will lead to less heat generated. In general though for just one (or a few) switches most Cat5e or better cable will work fine, as long as it is not some cheap Chinese one that is not certified.

Make sure you get an Active PoE switch NOT a Passive PoE switch, and make sure the power output for your switch can power the device(s) you intend to power.

53 minutes ago, The_russian said:

Technically yes, but some cables are better suited for it than others, especially for longer runs of cable and/or high power draw. Cat6 and Cat7 cables have thicker conductors than Cat5e so will have less resistance, which will lead to less heat generated. In general though for just one (or a few) switches most Cat5e or better cable will work fine, as long as it is not some cheap Chinese one that is not certified.

The cable I have in place is Cat5e, so I will go with that. Thanks!