Buy this CPU Cooler. - Noctua Redux U12S

ColinLTT

Meet Noctua’s first foray into a value line of CPU coolers. It's a trimmed down version of the excellent NH-U12S - but.. do the savings match the performance?

Buy Noctua NH-U12S redux CPU Cooler (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/GDaVW Buy Cooler Master Hyper 212 CPU Cooler (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/Mnz7BO1 Buy Noctua NH-U12S CPU Cooler (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/gNJXAI Buy Noctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/JisS

I am surprised Noctua decided to remove the inner-surface micro-structures from the Redux fan. That seems like a more expensive option, as producing a new plastic mold seems more expensive. It would seem more economical just use the existing mold designs. I would also like to see if there is any difference in the formulation of the plastic, such as a lack of glass-fiber in the Redux fan.

Just now, echos said:

I am surprised Noctua decided to remove the inner-surface micro-structures from the Redux fan. That seems like a more expensive option, as producing a new plastic mold seems more expensive. It would seem more economical just use the existing mold designs. I would also like to see if there is any difference in the formulation of the plastic, such as a lack of glass-fiber in the Redux fan.

Removing the glass filler would drastically reduce the wear on the injection mold. Saving a lot of recurring tooling costs.

But I also suspect that the fan might use one of their older molds that were collecting dust on a shelf, or used for lower end products already.

1 minute ago, Nystemy said:

But I also suspect that the fan might use one of their older molds that were collecting dust on a shelf, or used for lower end products already.

Actually that does seem like a reasonable explanation. I am not as intimately familiar with their past product lines to remember fans without the micro-structures.

50 bucks, wonderful!

Until now i've always bought Scythe coolers because they perform very well and aren't as expensive as a noctua.

But with noctua having a competitor at that price point. I might get those in the future.

Noctua, thanks bud.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Mugen 5, Macho Rev B/C, and the Fuma 2 exist y'know.... 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

Found these for sale where I live, for as much as PF240 (actually PF240 costs $5 more). Noctua tax is annoying.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

The thing I find funny, is how the cost of the Redux being linked in the video description nearly doubled on Amazon.ca, a few hours before LTT uploaded their video on youtube, this morning at exactly 9:54 AM, even though the cost had not changed for the past 60 days (price in CAD)

image.thumb.png.53721011c9426b66ae0a5f4099186f1f.png

There's a conspiracy somewhere in here, but I don't care enough to find it. At this current ridiculous price, I'd take the D15.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

As someone with a box of various Noctua low noise adapters and tubes of paste, this is fine.  Would be good for lower end systems I just want a big tower on.

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade

You always talk about the higher or lower pitch of the noise when talking fan noise. Have you ever looked into or thought about reporting in sone's like a N10 value. Not sure how feasible that is for you and people might not understand at first but I think it would be a good way to get your point across. 

3 hours ago, CyberneticTitan said:

I would have been interested to see how it fares against the classic Hyper 212 EVO. They mentioned it but didn't say anything after.

And if anyone is interested the TLDR is it's a little worse across the board except cost: https://www.relaxedtech.com/reviews/noctua/nh-u12s-redux/

To make actual comparisons between different coolers, then one would need far more controlled thermal loads than a test bench. (One can still get rough indications of where something is, but asking the difference between the Hyper 212 and the U12S Redux is going to be blurry without a proper test setup, considering how the difference between the two coolers in the video is already not all that major to start with.)
Software reported temperatures, power consumption, fan RPM, etc is fairly loose as far as tolerance is concerned. Not to mention how those measurements are being done in hardware and the errors it gives. Even taking the step to monitor current consumption on the EPS cables is throwing in its own slew of issues in regards to VRM efficiency. (though, the power measurements in software is actually having issues with such from the get go as well.)

To be fair, to make proper tests of the relative performance of different coolers, one needs a far more controlled heat source, ambient temperature, and also fan speed to be fair. (but even air humidity and pressure does effect cooling performance as well.) In short, using a dummy heat load in an AC controlled room is more or less a minimum requirement to make objective statements of what cooler is better than another from a pure performance standpoint. But obviously, the bigger the performance difference is between the coolers, the less tolerances is needed in the test setup. (But telling the difference between coolers in the same market segment is going to be a wash without proper test setups.)

Steve over at gamer's nexus though has us covered as far as test setups are concerned, and I would be surprised if he doesn't make a review of this cooler. Considering how he and his team already has a few cooler reviews as is.

Disappointed in the review to say the least, I was hoping for some noise normalized test results, or at least a comparison to other coolers in the price range rather than a single other cooler. I'm guessing I'll have to wait for Gamers Nexus to review it.

I mean not even the testing methodology is consistent, the last air cooler you tested, which I think was the Corsair A500, there was a 9900K, and now it's a 8700K for some reason, and when testing the IceGiant ProSiphon Elite you used a 3970X, is it just what's available nearby?

I mean it's a bit worse than it's more expensive counterpart, which was to be expected.

Strange question, I know that other Noctua coolers have been compatible with older sockets such as AM3+, does the redux have the same compatibility or only the normal U12S?

12 hours ago, Caroline said:

>affordable

>noctua

I believe there is some nonsense on your video.

Had the U12S AM4, wasnt that expensive when it was in norway.. and still is!

Useful threads: PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | Graphics Card Cooling Tier List ❤️

Baby: MPG X570 GAMING PLUS | AMD Ryzen 9 5900x /w PBO | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | ASRock RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming OC (3020Mhz & 2650Memory) | Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 32GB DDR4 (4x8GB) 3600 MHz | Corsair RM1000x |  WD_BLACK SN850 | WD_BLACK SN750 | Samsung EVO 850 | Kingston A400 |  PNY CS900 | Lian Li O11 Dynamic White | Display(s): Samsung Oddesy G7, ASUS TUF GAMING VG27AQZ 27" & MSI G274F

I also drive a volvo as one does being norwegian haha, a volvo v70 d3 from 2016.

Reliability was a key thing and its my second car, working pretty well for its 6 years age xD

On 5/16/2021 at 3:22 AM, Teriyaki Thunder said:

Strange question, I know that other Noctua coolers have been compatible with older sockets such as AM3+, does the redux have the same compatibility or only the normal U12S?

It appears to have the same mounting mechanism on the motherboard.  My question would be if a U12S Redux invoice is enough to get you the free kit for older or newer sockets most other coolers come with or if they'll be like 'You got the cheap one, so to get this kit, that's gonna be $20.'.  Those kits are great to keep their coolers on newer sockets and it's made me pretty loyal.  Not to mention the gave me a Socket 775 kit for a my Windows 9X machine!

Desktop: Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus TUF Gaming X570-Plus, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio, Creative Sound Blaster AE-7

Gaming PC #2: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Asus TUF Gaming B550M-Plus, 32GB DDR4, Gigabyte Windforce GTX 1080

Gaming PC #3: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-G, 16B DDR3, XFX Radeon R9 390X 8GB

WFH PC: Intel i7 4790, Asus B85M-F, 16GB DDR3, Gigabyte Radeon RX 6400 4GB

UnRAID #1: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, Asus TUF Gaming B450M-Plus, 64GB DDR4, Radeon HD 5450

UnRAID #2: Intel E5-2603v2, Asus P9X79 LE, 24GB DDR3, Radeon HD 5450

MiniPC: BeeLink SER6 6600H w/ Ryzen 5 6600H, 16GB DDR5 
Windows XP Retro PC: Intel i3 3250, Asus P8B75-M LX, 8GB DDR3, Sapphire Radeon HD 6850, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy

Windows 9X Retro PC: Intel E5800, ASRock 775i65G r2.0, 1GB DDR1, AGP Sapphire Radeon X800 Pro, Creative Sound Blaster Live!

Steam Deck w/ 2TB SSD Upgrade