i'd like a block feature...

Similar to Twitter's block. if i block someone i don't want them to be able to view my profile or any of my posts (maybe except one's that are marked as solution to topics as i can see the use there, but i'd like replies to be blocked for those too).

She/Her

There is this;

Ignored Users

Ignoring a user allows you to block some or all of their content from showing. Users are not notified that you are ignoring them.

Just now, si1enze said:

There is this;

Ignored Users

Ignoring a user allows you to block some or all of their content from showing. Users are not notified that you are ignoring them.

Not the same thing buddy, not the same. The ignore functionality just makes it so that you can't see and aren't notified of Posts, messages, and mentions made by a certain user. They are still capable of viewing your profile and posts, among other things.

1598692493_Screenshot(1068).png.9c355be05ca5d7881ea42c93f0d43368.png

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

3 minutes ago, si1enze said:

There is this;

Ignored Users

That's not what they're asking about at all. They don't want to just ignore a user. They'd like the blocked user to be prevented from viewing their profile. 

How would that work though? You could just open the page in an incognito window and bypass the restriction. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

I'm aware.  Just figured I'd point it out.

Additionally, that defeats the point of not notifying the ignored user that they are ignored.

elephants

I didn't code the forums. lol  It's the only thing similar that I've found on this forum, so I pointed it out.  

4 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

That's not what they're asking about at all. They don't want to just ignore a user. They'd like the blocked user to be prevented from viewing their profile. 

How would that work though? You could just open the page in an incognito window and bypass the restriction. 

Same thing in twitter. I guess it could be by IP instead of by user. Could present a problem for users on VPNs however... So perhaps a combination of both, where If you're signed in and xx blocks you, you're blocked by your account/username, but you're also blocked by IP-and the IP block only kicks into action if you're signed out, so if you sign out and try to look at their profile, you're still blocked. You could still use a VPN in xx location- at least until they block somebody using xx VPN in xx location, I dunno. It doesn't fix the problem but it makes it more inconvenient to access profiles. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

7 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

but you wouldn't be able to reply to it without an account. also profiles being hidden when someone isn't logged in also isn't a bad idea. topics obviously can stay up but like all my personal info isn't relevant to someone who views the forum without an account. 

She/Her

6 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

Additionally, that defeats the point of not notifying the ignored user that they are ignored.

when was that ever a problem? also, you'd be among my list of blocked users lmfao, i made this topic mainly because of you 🤣

She/Her

Just now, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

when was that ever a problem?

The ignore feature was designed for people to not know that they're ignored unless the person doing the ignoring wants them to know. Perhaps it could be a toggleable feature, per user being ignored or per user doing the ignoring?

Just now, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

also, you'd be among my list of blocked users lmfao, i made this topic mainly because of you 🤣

Yep, I know.

elephants

2 minutes ago, FakeKGB said:

The ignore feature was designed for people to not know that they're ignored unless the person doing the ignoring wants them to know.

with my request that's not an issue. if they are mad about it what are they gonna do? they can't see your profile anymore or post on it, soooo 

She/Her

18 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

who browse the forums in incognito and only login when they need to reply though?

but yes it would mean that a user can know if one has blocked them with 100% certainty, which may be against what the forum is going after

though i could say that if one is smart enough, they could figure it out from cues

Spoiler

but if they're that smart, they wouldn't have been blocked to begin with

this may backfire on me because im pretty sure some have blocked me

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Just now, Moonzy said:

who browse the forums in incognito and only login when they need to reply though?

but yes it would mean that a user can know if one has blocked them, which may be against what the forum is going after

though i could say that if one is smart enough, they could figure it out from cues

Reveal hidden contents

but if they're that smart, they wouldn't have been blocked to begin with

this may backfire on me because im pretty sure some have blocked me

I didn't mean someone would always browse in an incognito window, just that they could open the blocked content in an incognito window to bypass the restriction. I don't see how that's something that can easily be enforced. 

Although you are right - if you've been blocked by somebody there's a good reason for it. I can see plenty of that around the forums as of late. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

but yes it would mean that a user can know if one has blocked them with 100% certainty, which may be against what the forum is going after

so what if they know, they can't yell at you for it because they are blocked. 

it also helps with stupid irritations, that can break down into fights. i have to restrain myself everytime i see a @FakeKGB post for example lmfao. if the forum has twitter's block system i wouldn't see those posts anymore either if i block them. 

She/Her

Just now, BondiBlue said:

I didn't mean someone would always browse in an incognito window, just that they could open the blocked content in an incognito window to bypass the restriction. I don't see how that's something that can easily be enforced. 

my main issue is people replying to my status updates and stuff. in incognito people can't reply. 

She/Her

1 minute ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

my main issue is people replying to my status updates and stuff. in incognito people can't reply. 

I never said they could do that from an incognito window (although it would be possible if they used a second account, though that's very easy to track and a great way to get in trouble), just that they would be able to see content they wouldn't be able to when they're logged in. 

Just now, BondiBlue said:

I never said they could do that from an incognito window (although it would be possible if they used a second account, though that's very easy to track and a great way to get in trouble), just that they would be able to see content they wouldn't be able to when they're logged in. 

maybe also hide stuff for people without accounts? could be a good idea. 

She/Her

5 minutes ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

maybe also hide stuff for people without accounts? could be a good idea. 

You'll have to see what Mortis thinks, but I could see that as potentially being pretty complicated on a per-user basis, but I could be wrong. 

6 minutes ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

so what if they know, they can't yell at you for it because they are blocked. 

this can build malice, and idk if i like that

7 minutes ago, Ashley MLP Fangirl said:

it also helps with stupid irritations, that can break down into fights. i have to restrain myself everytime i see a @FakeKGB post for example lmfao. if the forum has twitter's block system i wouldn't see those posts anymore either if i block them.

i personally mentally skip things im not interested in like how i skip ads

does it bother me when i see things i dont like? yea, slightly

but it takes 2 scrolls to move on to the next thing

though i understand that not everyone can do this and the ignore function could've been better

but letting people know they've been blocked might have undesirable results

say, for example, if someone blocked u, for seemingly no reason, what would you think of that person?

it's better to be ignorant, imo

Depends on the block.

Else blocking can be a way to enable toxic behaviour.

While ignoring option to private, would keep the more annoying parts away?

As with twitter, it's sort of toxic due to some of the blocking behaviour among other stuff that would be tied around this sort of stuff.

33 minutes ago, BondiBlue said:

if you've been blocked by somebody there's a good reason for it.

i would have to disagree

sometimes block/ignore can occur when people have different (but valid) opinions on something, thus create friction

9 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

i would have to disagree

sometimes block/ignore can occur when people have different (but valid) opinions on something, thus create friction

True, and that's another complication of this kind of feature. My comment is still valid though as the reason for blocking someone is probably justified in the eyes of the blocking person. Doesn't mean it's actually justified, just that someone thinks it is. 

+1

I don't have anyone ignored currently but there are...a "few" people that are on the verge of joining the iggy list

If I ignore someone I generally mean I want to never see their content or rarely, at least

I don't give a fuck if someone knows I ignored them, so be it, would rather have them know and rarely see anything from them over not letting them know and being able to see their crap

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ // The Parrot Gang
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY ON   |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,............'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd

mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+

mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+

dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o

dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN

mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/

yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+

++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN

..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o

``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

11 hours ago, si1enze said:

I'm aware.  Just figured I'd point it out.

I'm sure the 7800 post user who's been on the forum for 5 years needed you to remind her of that... 😛

10 hours ago, Moonzy said:

i would have to disagree

It's a personal block, not a ban from the forums - even just disliking someone is a valid enough reason for that. It doesn't necessarily mean the blocked person did anything wrong but still, there is usually a reason. For me personally, after being here for 8 years there are a handful of users I just don't want to interact with any more even if they haven't broken any rules or been particularly mean to me.

11 hours ago, Moonzy said:

i personally mentally skip things im not interested in like how i skip ads

does it bother me when i see things i dont like? yea, slightly

but it takes 2 scrolls to move on to the next thing

Sure, but why be unnecessarily annoyed if it can be avoided?

I think this feature would be very hard to implement on the forum @Ashley MLP Fangirl, if for no other reason that all content (except direct messages) is public and viewable by unregistered users - meaning the blocked person could just log out and read your posts anyway.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*