Extremely confused | PC up in smoke

WaitDontSh00t

I'm really worried you guys.

I was playing a game on my computer, like I always do. All of a sudden my PC shut off with no warning. Just completely off.

I can't get it to turn back on and am worried something happened with my PSU.

I've had the PSU since around 2015 and just moved everything to a new system about a month ago. Never had any issues.

My keyboard lights up if the PSU is in the on position, but if I try to turn on the PC I hear some sort of electronic "click" or something like it's trying to turn on?

Specs:

I9 10900k

32GB DDR4 4000Mhz

Dual 980Ti Hybrids

2x WD HDD

2x Samsung SSD

1x M.2

Asus Strix-E

Corsair RM1000i

Latest Update:

Tried booting the PC again, PSU and system made weird sounds. Then everything started smoking. Unplugged everything immediately. I have no idea what's wrong. I feel like it was the PSU, but some people are telling me it's my graphics cards? Can someone give some input or info? I'm extremely stressed out over this and would appreciate any help. Pics attached.

20210509_173609.jpg

20210509_173548.jpg

20210509_173539.jpg

5 minutes ago, Ravendarat said:

Are those burn marks on the GPU and Mobo? If so then your power supply is the least of your concerns

Yes, they are on both.

My only thought is the power because it randomly shut off and wouldnt boot. The PSU just made that electronic click sound. When I tried again and did boot, that's when this all happened.

From the burn marks it looks like the top graphics card fried. The burn marks on the motherboard appear to just be superficial marks on the chipset heatsink cover, I wouldn't worry about that could possibly even just wipe it off.

Remove the backplate on the burned out graphics card and take photos of the PCB so we can see what failed.

1 minute ago, WaitDontSh00t said:

My only thought is the power because it randomly shut off and wouldnt boot. The PSU just made that electronic click sound. When I tried again and did boot, that's when this all happened.

Short in the graphics card, PSU shuts off like it's supposed to when it detects a short circuit. The click is it latching off to protect itself and the system. The reason the keyboard lights up when you turn the PSU switch back on is because the keyboard is powered by USB 5V, which when the system is turned off is supplied by the 5VSB rail in the PSU. Isn't detecting the short on the graphics card because it's not providing any power to the graphics card in standby. When you turn the PC on by pressing the case power button the power supply provides power to the rest of the system, detects the short on the GPU, latches off again.

From what you've described your power supply is functioning correctly, in that it is safely cutting power to the system instead of starting a fire and burning your house down.

Does the system boot if you remove the damaged graphics card and only use the other card? What about without the GPUs using the integrated graphics of the 10900k? If it won't boot at all without the graphics cards then you have other problems. If it boots fine with just the one good graphics card then that's kinda good news in that the rest of the system should be fine and at least you still have one 980ti to use.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

17 minutes ago, Spotty said:

From the burn marks it looks like the top graphics card fried. The burn marks on the motherboard appear to just be superficial marks on the chipset heatsink cover, I wouldn't worry about that could possibly even just wipe it off.

Remove the backplate on the burned out graphics card and take photos of the PCB so we can see what failed.

Short in the graphics card, PSU shuts off like it's supposed to when it detects a short circuit. The click is it latching off to protect itself and the system. The reason the keyboard lights up when you turn the PSU switch back on is because the keyboard is powered by USB 5V, which when the system is turned off is supplied by the 5VSB rail in the PSU. Isn't detecting the short on the graphics card because it's not providing any power to the graphics card in standby. When you turn the PC on by pressing the case power button the power supply provides power to the rest of the system, detects the short on the GPU, latches off again.

From what you've described your power supply is functioning correctly, in that it is safely cutting power to the system instead of starting a fire and burning your house down.

Does the system boot if you remove the damaged graphics card and only use the other card? What about without the GPUs using the integrated graphics of the 10900k? If it won't boot at all without the graphics cards then you have other problems. If it boots fine with just the one good graphics card then that's kinda good news in that the rest of the system should be fine and at least you still have one 980ti to use.

Im worried to turn it on it again,but I could try without the GPU. I have the KF version, so no integrated. Here's a picture of the top card though.

20210509_212610.jpg

6 minutes ago, WaitDontSh00t said:

Im worried to turn it on it again,but I could try without the GPU. I have the KF version, so no integrated. Here's a picture of the top card though.

Try it without the GPUs and see if the PSU cuts out again. If it stays powered (won't boot cause no GPU) then try installing the 2nd GPU and try booting with that.

9 minutes ago, WaitDontSh00t said:

20210509_212853.jpg

Are those burn marks through the PCB along the VRM? That would explain the pattern of discoloration on the metal backplate in the earlier photos. She's cactus. Given their age I'm assuming those cards are long outside warranty period. Could still try contacting EVGA see if they can do anything but I doubt it if it's outside of warranty.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

11 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Try it without the GPUs and see if the PSU cuts out again. If it stays powered (won't boot cause no GPU) then try installing the 2nd GPU and try booting with that.

Are those burn marks through the PCB along the VRM? That would explain the pattern of discoloration on the metal backplate in the earlier photos. She's cactus. Given their age I'm assuming those cards are long outside warranty period. Could still try contacting EVGA see if they can do anything but I doubt it if it's outside of warranty.

I'm not sure if they are burn marks. I smell like something is burned, but those "marks" seem to wipe off.

20210509_215104.jpg

So did you double-check the liquid cooler tubes and where they connect to the CPU block?  Any signs of leakage?  Stuff on your top card seems suspicios.

I would seriously stop using the computer now until you found the cause for failure (most likely leakage) since thats apparently your last GPU... id also recommend to use an aircooler perhaps, better safe than sorry imo!

And just out of curiosity, the smoke you saw coming from the psu was being exhausted, right? So it likely came from the gpu that went up in flames?

PS: I just realized this is a watercooled GPU, and ~5 years is about the expected life cycle for those... id replace all fittings, tubes ,etc, IF that is even possible.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 hours ago, Quartz11 said:

So did you double-check the liquid cooler tubes and where they connect to the CPU block?  Any signs of leakage?  Stuff on your top card seems suspicios.

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

I would seriously stop using the computer now until you found the cause for failure (most likely leakage) since thats apparently your last GPU... id also recommend to use an aircooler perhaps, better safe than sorry imo!

And just out of curiosity, the smoke you saw coming from the psu was being exhausted, right? So it likely came from the gpu that went up in flames?

PS: I just realized this is a watercooled GPU, and ~5 years is about the expected life cycle for those... id replace all fittings, tubes ,etc, IF that is even possible.

Oh boy.. yeah it seems as though the smoke was being exhausted out from the PSU. I heard the GPU exploding basically. Im worried on what to do, they are both the hybrid cards so I don't think I can change anything on them.

Am I screwed and losing both GPUs?

47 minutes ago, WaitDontSh00t said:

Oh boy.. yeah it seems as though the smoke was being exhausted out from the PSU. I heard the GPU exploding basically. Im worried on what to do, they are both the hybrid cards so I don't think I can change anything on them.

Am I screwed and losing both GPUs?

Like @Spotty said. It's probably out of warranty but still worth contacting EVGA.

I would leave your working GPU in the lower PCIE slot in case the upper one was damaged. Remove any overclock. Now's not a great time to have to need a GPU.

Triple check for leaks. It may have just been a capacitor blowing out. You might be able to have it repaired at a local PC repair shop if you're lucky.

Contact EVGA though.

1 hour ago, StarsMars said:

Like @Spotty said. It's probably out of warranty but still worth contacting EVGA.

I would leave your working GPU in the lower PCIE slot in case the upper one was damaged. Remove any overclock. Now's not a great time to have to need a GPU.

Triple check for leaks. It may have just been a capacitor blowing out. You might be able to have it repaired at a local PC repair shop if you're lucky.

Contact EVGA though.

So worried to even touch my computer at this point. How would I know if there is any damage to the PCIE slots?

Should everything else technically be okay?

I did contact EVGA, just waiting to hear back.