Is this too much for my little 430 Watt PSU?

Ykcud

I am building a system for a friend and and getting VERY close to the max wattage that the PSU can use. So close in fact that I am wondering if this is a good idea at all. Here is a link to basically what the system is minus case and PSU:

It looks like it is drawing 404 Watts out of 430. Is this ok, or should I get a bigger one, such as a 500 watt?

Depends on the quality of the power supply. That is cutting way too close for cheap power supplies imo.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

3 minutes ago, Levent said:

Depends on the quality of the power supply. That is cutting way too close for cheap power supplies imo.

It is a Thermaltake SPD-0430P (Smart series 430W).

The only 430W power supplies I can think of are absolutely awful. EVGA W1 430W, Thermaltake Litepower 430W, Thermaltake Smart 430W. None of them I would recommend.

Spending $83 on three 500GB HDDs is a pretty bad deal. You can buy a 2TB drive for $50.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

This would be borderline useable. It can probably run that system but i'd think of replacing it longterm. 
Bought a 750W Gold PSU many years ago and still using it to this day.

Planning on trying StarCitizen (Highly recommended)? STAR-NR5P-CJFR is my referal link 

2 minutes ago, Ykcud said:

I am building a system for a friend and and getting VERY close to the max wattage that the PSU can use. So close in fact that I am wondering if this is a good idea at all. Here is a link to basically what the system is minus case and PSU:

It looks like it is drawing 404 Watts out of 430. Is this ok, or should I get a bigger one, such as a 500 watt?

well, if u are not over the wattage, it should be okay, bu the lifetime of the power supply will be less.

because the components of the power supply, a resistor for example will get hotter and eventually die after a few months or years, just be carefull but getting at the max of the supply is just gonna decrease the time of its life and itl just get hotter, technically you culd actually get over the power a power supply gives, but even then ur still at its max, cuz u cannot let something give more dan it can give, its just dramatically decrease the life of the supply

i hope this helped for u 🙂 

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

The only 430W power supplies I can think of are absolutely awful. EVGA W1 430W, Thermaltake Litepower 430W, Thermaltake Smart 430W. None of them I would recommend.

Spending $83 on three 500GB HDDs is a pretty bad deal. You can buy a 2TB drive for $50.

The reason I have 3 HDDs in the system is because I have like a 100 of them lying around that I got basically for free.

3 minutes ago, cyanite said:

well, if u are not over the wattage, it should be okay, bu the lifetime of the power supply will be less.

because the components of the power supply, a resistor for example will get hotter and eventually die after a few months or years, just be carefull but getting at the max of the supply is just gonna decrease the time of its life and itl just get hotter, technically you culd actually get over the power a power supply gives, but even then ur still at its max, cuz u cannot let something give more dan it can give, its just dramatically decrease the life of the supply

i hope this helped for u 🙂 

It did, thank you! Based on what you said, I think I will go for a bigger power supply to make sure it lasts.

Just now, Ykcud said:

It did, thank you! Based on what you said, I think I will go for a bigger power supply to make sure it lasts.

yes id recommend that too. if u go gaming, try to get at least a 650 watts (you can put rtx 3060 ti in with that one)

3 minutes ago, Ykcud said:

It is a Thermaltake SPD-0430P (Smart series 430W).

thats just a bad powersupply. ideally shouldnt be powering much at all.

you could use a System Power 9 400w and it would be fine. but thats because its an ok powersupply. 

its not that much about how much wattage it has, but how good of a unit it is. and 80+ rating is not a measure of how good a PSU is

5 minutes ago, cyanite said:

That is not completely true, a graphics card for example can draw more than it is rated for momentarily and it will trip OCP and shut your entire system down.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

2 minutes ago, Ykcud said:

keep in mind to get an actuall decent unit before you go spending money on wattage. 

because wattage wise you are fine, its just that the PSU you have is terrible. 

3 minutes ago, Ykcud said:

The reason I have 3 HDDs in the system is because I have like a 100 of them lying around that I got basically for free.

Gotcha! Just stood out as an odd choice, but makes sense if you already have the drives.

The EVGA BQ 600W is currently on sale on Newegg for $50, for the PSU it's a pretty good price. 500W would be fine for your build but with the sale the 600W is cheaper than the 500W unit.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

4 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

keep in mind to get an actuall decent unit before you go spending money on wattage. 

because wattage wise you are fine, its just that the PSU you have is terrible. 

When it comes to PSUs, I always make sure it has good ratings. The reason I had the Thermaltake was from a trade.

6 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Gotcha! Just stood out as an odd choice, but makes sense if you already have the drives.

The EVGA BQ 600W is currently on sale on Newegg for $50, for the PSU it's a pretty good price. 500W would be fine for your build but with the sale the 600W is cheaper than the 500W unit.

I had to go to Amazon just now as my time is little bit limited, so I have to go with prime. I went with this one because it had good ratings and was within my budget (to keep the PC under $500 all together; yes I scored a working GPU for like $100).

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/4qK2FT/aresgame-agv-500-w-80-bronze-certified-atx-power-supply-agv500

1 minute ago, Ykcud said:

I always make sure it has good ratings

keep in mind 80+ ratings are not really indicative of quality. And consumer Reviews really cant be used outside of perhaps judging how often units are DOA. 

if you are buying in the US, the EVGA BQ isnt a bad offering. however it lacks OTP which is a shame. 

Corsair CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (CP-9020120-NA) - PCPartPicker

Corsair CX 450 is a known good unit
EVGA B5 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (220-B5-0550-V1) - PCPartPicker

or the EVGA B5 can be interesting, Assuming it is some sort of cost down TPK. 

7 minutes ago, Ykcud said:

thats a group regulated unit, and depending on how good or bad of a group regulated unit it is, its likely not much better than what you allready own. 

10 minutes ago, Ykcud said:

I had to go to Amazon just now as my time is little bit limited, so I have to go with prime. I went with this one because it had good ratings and was within my budget (to keep the PC under $500 all together; yes I scored a working GPU for like $100).

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/4qK2FT/aresgame-agv-500-w-80-bronze-certified-atx-power-supply-agv500

May as well have kept the thermaltake PSU.

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

The CX450 lacks the PCIe connectors required for their graphics card.

My budget right now for a PSU is under $45 which is why I went for that one.

12 minutes ago, Spotty said:

The CX450 lacks the PCIe connectors required for their graphics card.

Ah, didnt see the extra 6-pin. 

Theoretically its likely fine with a single 8-pin. Tho idk if the card actually checks for it

5 minutes ago, Ykcud said:

My budget right now for a PSU is under $45 which is why I went for that one.

Still doesnt mean you should spend 45$ for a PSU that has the exact same issue as your previous one. 

10 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Ah, didnt see the extra 6-pin. 

Theoretically its likely fine with a single 8-pin. Tho idk if the card actually checks for it

Still doesnt mean you should spend 45$ for a PSU that has the exact same issue as your previous one. 

Sorry for rushing. I went ahead and canceled the purchase of that PSU. Any suggestions on one that is under $45 and that I can get with Amazon Prime, or shipped with a similar speed. I need it within the next few days.

16 minutes ago, Ykcud said:

Sorry for rushing. I went ahead and canceled the purchase of that PSU. Any suggestions on one that is under $45 and that I can get with Amazon Prime, or shipped with a similar speed. I need it within the next few days.

EVGA BA 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (100-BA-0500-K1) - PCPartPicker
EVGA BR 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (100-BR-0450-K1) - PCPartPicker

either of these are fairly interesting. tho there isnt a ton of info on the BA that im aware of. 

BR is allright, tho its ambient rating is pretty poor. 

3 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

EVGA BA 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (100-BA-0500-K1) - PCPartPicker
EVGA BR 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (100-BR-0450-K1) - PCPartPicker

either of these are fairly interesting. tho there isnt a ton of info on the BA that im aware of. 

BR is allright, tho its ambient rating is pretty poor. 

Thank you. I went with the BA.

3 hours ago, Levent said:

That is not completely true, a graphics card for example can draw more than it is rated for momentarily and it will trip OCP and shut your entire system down.

nice, i didnt know that... im learning things here too 🙂