Concerning temps with an NH-D15

EdyDev

Hi, I recently bought a Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Black so I could cool my i9-10850K but even if I set the CPU's limit to 4.7Ghz instead of 4.8Ghz I get not too amazing temperatures in Cinebench R23 and I am unsure if this is normal. The ambient temperature is 21 - 24C and I am using Noctua NT-H1 thermal paste. I have 4 case fans (3 front as intake and 1 back as exhaust and there is a filtered vent on the top of the case with no fans in it). I am using a Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Master motherboard. I also have an MSI Ventus 3x OC RTX 3070 (3 fans and 1/3 of the heatsink is exposed so it gets cool to the point where the fans stop so shouldn't affect CPU temps too much) and 4 sticks of 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000mhz CL15

I use Core Temp to monitor temperature and load, Task Manager to monitor clocks, Aorus System Information Viewer to see and control fan speeds and Aorus EasyTune for overclocking (yes I have tried going into the bios and doing this and there is no difference so I am using the utility since it doesnt require a restart)

I attached a screenshot of the temps after I ran Cinebench R23 for 10m with the cooler fans at ~1550rpm (max), intake fans at ~900rpm and exhaust fan at ~1200rpm with the cpu running at 4.7Ghz (4.68) and Ring Ratio at 4.3. I didn't mess with the voltage and let it at 1.200v in the bios

image.png.e99ddd39dfce99732cfede1fb7955c70.png

And a screenshot with the same fan speeds but with the CPU at the usual 4.8Ghz (Ring Ratio 4.3) default it gets while playing a game for example

image.png.92246d7db777e93fe2918c0cf866295e.png

I don't think these temps are good at all but I am unsure whether this is normal or not because at 100C it seems really unlikely that its normal.

Here's a screenshot of the temps with all the fans set to max and ambient 19C and all cores set to just 4.7Ghz (Ring Ratio 4.3)

image.png.193af9e46b9b1c7dac8ba317abb77b49.pngimage.thumb.png.a5f2aac6a23527545e330fa425090a71.png 

I tried all kinds of stuff to get the temperature lower like applying a lot of thermal paste or trying mx-4 and silver 5 paste or changing the orientation of the cooler. I am considering purchasing 2x Noctua NF-S12A PWM fans for the top vent of the case. I would really appreciate any help even the smallest thing. Thanks!

image.png

I don't think anything is going to help cool this chip more with a NH-D15 and adding additional case fans are not going to help, the D15 is the problem as it can't expel more heat than the CPU generates. 

What case are you using??? You might have 3 intakes in the front but I don't know if its restricted from a sheet of glass a couple mm away from the fan intake. If you took the side panel off and ran it again, does anything improve at all? I don't want to be stupid but, are you sure you removed the plastic sticker on the bottom of the cold plate that is in contact with the CPU IHS (the CPU)? 

I guess you are using MCE on the processor? 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

8 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

I don't think anything is going to help cool this chip more with a NH-D15 and adding additional case fans are not going to help, the D15 is the problem as it can't expel more heat than the CPU generates. 

What case are you using??? You might have 3 intakes in the front but I don't know if its restricted from a sheet of glass a couple mm away from the fan intake. If you took the side panel off and ran it again, does anything improve at all? I don't want to be stupid but, are you sure you removed the plastic sticker on the bottom of the cold plate that is in contact with the CPU IHS (the CPU)? 

I guess you are using MCE on the processor? 

It does have a sheet of glass like 1 - 2 cm away and vents on the side and bottom but even if I literally remove that and side panel the temps don't change at all. Even if I take 2 fans and mount them in the top and mount the cooler facing the top of the case (air going to the top in a pull config on both the cooler and case fans) the temps don't change at all or maybe its like 1 degree colder but that's within the margin of error.

I'm using a Redragon SteelJaw Pro case but i got 2 more RGB fans and removed the non rgb ones and mounted all 3 of them in the front so now there's one exhaust and 3 intake (i can send a picture)

The NH-D15 doesn't come with a sticker just with a plastic cover that has to be removed for the cooler to even fit so yes I have removed that and the cooler comes in direct contact with the integrated heatsink of the CPU, all the screws are tightly screwed in and I followed a tutorial for how to install the cooler since I have only used AIOs in the past.

Multi core enhancement is set to Auto in the BIOS and it doesn't say whether or not it is enabled but I will assume yes because its an i9 and a capable motherboard.

Should I look into getting a case with better airflow? If it doesn't affect anything I can return it in 60 days from the day it arrives.

3 minutes ago, ThreeStripes said:

It does have a sheet of glass like 1 - 2 cm away and vents on the side and bottom but even if I literally remove that and side panel the temps don't change at all. Even if I take 2 fans and mount them in the top and mount the cooler facing the top of the case (air going to the top in a pull config on both the cooler and case fans) the temps don't change at all or maybe its like 1 degree colder but that's within the margin of error.

I'm using a Redragon SteelJaw Pro case but i got 2 more RGB fans and removed the non rgb ones and mounted all 3 of them in the front so now there's one exhaust and 3 intake (i can send a picture)

The NH-D15 doesn't come with a sticker just with a plastic cover that has to be removed for the cooler to even fit so yes I have removed that and the cooler comes in direct contact with the integrated heatsink of the CPU, all the screws are tightly screwed in and I followed a tutorial for how to install the cooler since I have only used AIOs in the past.

Multi core enhancement is set to Auto in the BIOS and it doesn't say whether or not it is enabled but I will assume yes because its an i9 and a capable motherboard.

Should I look into getting a case with better airflow? If it doesn't affect anything I can return it in 60 days from the day it arrives.

The far I'm guessing, These high temps appear after quite some time of usage, meaning that the hot exhaust is circulating inside the case hence chocking the cooler. The case might be the source of the issue. NHD15 hardly fails

5 minutes ago, ThreeStripes said:

Alright, just wanted to make sure nothing was preventing the transfer of heat between IHS and coldplate (I haven't opened a NH-D15 in a long time). I would definitely look into getting another case, looks cool but this is not really functional for a high end build like yours. A Phanteks P400A or one of the Corsair 4000/5000 cases would be better for airflow. I'd still try out removing the side panel and run the computer and see if temperatures change since this is a high-end air cooler. 

You'll know if MCE is on if all the cores are boosting under load. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

8 minutes ago, S.Hamed23 said:

The far I'm guessing, These high temps appear after quite some time of usage, meaning that the hot exhaust is circulating inside the case hence chocking the cooler. The case might be the source of the issue. NHD15 hardly fails

These temps are almost instant. It takes about 30s to reach 100C on some cores at just 4.8Ghz

1 minute ago, ThreeStripes said:

These temps are almost instant. It takes about 30s to reach 100C on some cores at just 4.8Ghz

In that case, It could be a cpu issue. I had a 9900K that couldn't even do 4.9ghz without going 90C

6 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

Alright, just wanted to make sure nothing was preventing the transfer of heat between IHS and coldplate (I haven't opened a NH-D15 in a long time). I would definitely look into getting another case, looks cool but this is not really functional for a high end build like yours. A Phanteks P400A or one of the Corsair 4000/5000 cases would be better for airflow. I'd still try out removing the side panel and run the computer and see if temperatures change since this is a high-end air cooler. 

You'll know if MCE is on if all the cores are boosting under load. 

I did remove the side panel and front panel i think it's called and no improvement. I'll try with just the front panel off to see if that helps. Ill look into another case anyways because the case looks cool in photos and is even cooler IRL but the fans are pretty bad and the stand-offs don't really screw in as good as I would want them to

Just now, ThreeStripes said:

I did remove the side panel and front panel i think it's called and no improvement. I'll try with just the front panel off to see if that helps. Ill look into another case anyways because the case looks cool in photos and is even cooler IRL but the fans are pretty bad and the stand-offs don't really screw in as good as I would want them to

Alright, have you tried to update the BIOS at all, or is it the BIOS the same as when you bought the motherboard??? I'm just thinking maybe there are improvements to the MCE Gigabyte used and might lower temperatures. 

Definitely a different case, as you also don't sound satisfied with this one. 

5 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

Alright, have you tried to update the BIOS at all, or is it the BIOS the same as when you bought the motherboard??? I'm just thinking maybe there are improvements to the MCE Gigabyte used and might lower temperatures. 

Definitely a different case, as you also don't sound satisfied with this one. 

I know there are some bios updates for the motherboard, one of them released a month ago and even tho I bought this mobo yesterday I don't think it was manufactured less than a month ago or so.

9 minutes ago, S.Hamed23 said:

In that case, It could be a cpu issue. I had a 9900K that couldn't even do 4.9ghz without going 90C

I think it might be a CPU issue because cores 0, 1, 2, 6 are always the hottest but that might also just be because some programs are using those cores more than the others.

image.png.41701856b01efea79843452a8cc59876.png

To be honest I don't really like the Aorus bios so I might install "Windows Thin PC" on another SSD and monitor the temps there with only the Windows processes running since I have like 700GB of Windows versions in a NAS. Windows Thin PC is basically a very cut down version of Windows 7 for very low end PCs made from Windows 7 Embedded and is still in support.

47 minutes ago, S.Hamed23 said:

By removing the front panel and not the site panel the airflow was greatly improved and the cpu went to a max of 90C on the hottest core (core 4) which was a 10C improvement so I think I just have to get a better case. (the CPU was still capped at 4.7Ghz not 4.8)

I uploaded a video of when I start the R23 benchmark.

Sorry for the bad quality, it had to be under 20mb

Airflow is no joke especially when you get up to big dog CPU's, or big overclocks on smaller ones. High performance and silence almost never go hand in hand.. 

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

3 minutes ago, freeagent said:

Airflow is no joke especially when you get up to big dog CPU's, or big overclocks on smaller ones. High performance and silence almost never go hand in hand.. 

I dont want it to be silent. I just want it to be performant. I can put it under the desk and not hear most of the noise and I have Nvidia Broadcast to eliminate background noise for calls and stuff. I bought this i9 because I need the cores. And 10 is the sweet spot for me 

1 hour ago, ThreeStripes said:

I dont want it to be silent. I just want it to be performant. I can put it under the desk and not hear most of the noise and I have Nvidia Broadcast to eliminate background noise for calls and stuff. I bought this i9 because I need the cores. And 10 is the sweet spot for me 

Your cpu might be the issue here, if you have fans at full speed.
at 4.7ghz these temps are very high 

1 minute ago, S.Hamed23 said:

Your cpu might be the issue here, if you have fans at full speed.
at 4.7ghz these temps are very high 

I know

1 minute ago, ThreeStripes said:

I know

Bad luck with the cpu here I guess

Bad luck with the cpu here I guess

I used a corsair AIO before with 2 fans and it got to 80C while in a benchmark at 4.8Ghz and 100% i thought it was just because the AIO was bad for an i9 with only 2 fans

Just now, ThreeStripes said:

I used a corsair AIO before with 2 fans and it got to 80C while in a benchmark at 4.8Ghz and 100% i thought it was just because the AIO was bad

Same here, but changing to a nhd15 solved it for me.
Though due to that period, I can't keep the 5ghz due to silicone degradation at that time. 
I'm capping my 9600k at 4.9ghz with max temp at 68C in R23

Though due to that period, I can't keep the 5ghz due to silicone degradation at that time. 

I might order a new i9-10850KA and return it and just put this one in there because I feel scammed lmao.

16 hours ago, S.Hamed23 said:

I submitted a support request on intel.com I hope that they can fix it/replace it if the CPU is the problem and it seems more and more likely that that is the case.

If you are pushing the same voltage as Gamers Nexus did with a 10900K to reach 317W:s, it definitely is not a faulty cpu causing those problems. Try 420mm or 360mm rad if you need that high of an oc over the stock 130W:s.

Indeed, D15 is good for 260w.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

On 5/2/2021 at 6:01 AM, ThreeStripes said:

Auto is enabled and MCE is basically auto-oc'ing which can easily cause high temps. Disable MCE. If you're going to oc, do it manually. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

This is kinda like PBO im guessing, without it my cpu (3600) is 10C cooler, and with PBO it clocks a bit higher on average but i see nearly no difference in performance (maybe 1%)

And no, im not using cinebench to test performance as its a highly unrealistic workload (im just using gaming oriented benchmarks like 3dmark, as thats whats relevant to me)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity