My new pc arrives soon, What are the most important settings to change to support high performance and stability etc.

Guest PhatRATTY
Go to solution Solved by Stahlmann,

When buying a pre-built i would do the following after turning the PC on.

- Going into BIOS and checking if XMP is enabled

- Going into BIOS and changing the fan curves to my liking (mainly for noise reduction)

- Going through ALL windows settings and enabling/disabling what you want or need

- Making sure BIOS, GPU drivers, chipset drivers and Windwos are up-to-date

- Grabbing general software you'll likely need like your favourite browser (imo Edge, which is included in Windows is currently the best browser), 7zip, VLC player, Notepad++, etc.

- Making sure all your drives are initialized (some OEMs still forget to make sure all your drives show up in windows)

Again, not talking down to you. Everyone can forget some things when setting up their PC.

I want every possible frame and being streaming I need to make sure streams never fail due to crashing internet shut off etc. Pc arrives friday so I would Like to be prepared. 😄 Any extra applications on the cheaper or free side would also be appreciated. Before I get a "just google it" from y'all I tried, and a lot of stuff wasn't recent or specified for streaming and not just peak performance but also stability is, I would argue, even more important.

Pc is a 3080 5900x 32gb ram cl14 3600 and a lot of sata drives with two m.2 type but nvme sized (don't know what you call it) drives.

Cheers guys!

3 minutes ago, PhatRATTY said:

I want every possible frame and being streaming I need to make sure streams never fail due to crashing internet shut off etc. Pc arrives friday so I would Like to be prepared. 😄 Any extra applications on the cheaper or free side would also be appreciated. Before I get a "just google it" from y'all I tried, and a lot of stuff wasn't recent or specified for streaming and not just peak performance but also stability is, I would argue, even more important.

Pc is a 3080 5900x 32gb ram cl14 3600 and a lot of sata drives with two m.2 type but nvme sized (don't know what you call it) drives.

Cheers guys!

I've been trying so hard to find any gpu at msrp but I finally bit the bullet and bought a prebuilt. The funny thing is the same thing happened when I wanted to build a pc in 2018. Hopefully in 2025 when I buy a new one again There won't be a shortage. I've been waiting for the pc to arrive since the first of February and I want to be super prepared when It arrives.

The most important things to keeping your PC stable and smooth running is to NOT change any setting you don't fully understand, and to not install programs you do not fully understand how they work.

Don't disable a bunch of things in Windows because some random person on the Internet said it would make your PC faster, if you don't understand what you are disabling.

Don't install a program claiming to speed up your PC if you don't understand how. And no "it says it deletes some files to make it faster" is not a good explanation.

Personally, I'd recommend installing as little things as possible, and making as few changes as possible. Disable Windows features if you want in for example Settings. They are easy to turn on again if you need to. They won't make any big difference though.

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

The most important things to keeping your PC stable and smooth running is to NOT change any setting you don't fully understand, and to not install programs you do not fully understand how they work.

Don't disable a bunch of things in Windows because some random person on the Internet said it would make your PC faster, if you don't understand what you are disabling.

Don't install a program claiming to speed up your PC if you don't understand how. And no "it says it deletes some files to make it faster" is not a good explanation.

Personally, I'd recommend installing as little things as possible, and making as few changes as possible. Disable Windows features if you want in for example Settings. They are easy to turn on again if you need to. They won't make any big difference though.

I appreciate your advise but surely even you support disabling windows antivirus, downloading geforce experience, and control panel msi afterburner, xmp, etc so considering that I do have considerable experience with windows I would appreciate you talking to me like an equal and not being spoken down to. Clearly I don't mean changing registry files and downloading excessive bloatware. I mean any QOL improvements that I have done in the past and forgotten about.

1 minute ago, PhatRATTY said:

I appreciate your advise but surely even you support disabling windows antivirus

Why should you disable antivirus?

1 minute ago, PhatRATTY said:

I do have considerable experience with windows I would appreciate you talking to me like an equal and not being spoken down to.

No one was talking down to you. Just trying to be helpful and you didn't specify how experienced you are...

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

Just now, Stahlmann said:

Why should you disable antivirus?

No one was talking down to you. Just trying to be helpful and you didn't specify how experienced you are...

Ehem, certain illicitly gotten goods which mr Linus has officially unoficially supported under certain situations (Lots of emulators don't work great with antivirus from windows) I run my own antivirus software and you should, in my opinion, never have two instances of antivirus running simultaneously. Also, saying I don't fully understand something was understandably triggering especially when the rest of his message was to completely disregard my original question. "random internet person" "you don't fully understand" "Don't install a program claiming to speed up your PC" essentially telling me not to download ram, that I'm a plebian etc... Totally unprofessional

- Going into BIOS and changing the fan curves to my liking (mainly for noise reduction)

- Going through ALL windows settings and enabling/disabling what you want or need

- Grabbing general software you'll likely need like your favourite browser (imo Edge, which is included in Windows is currently the best browser), 7zip, VLC player, Notepad++, etc.

- Making sure all your drives are initialized (some OEMs still forget to make sure all your drives show up in windows)

Again, not talking down to you. Everyone can forget some things when setting up their PC.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

And I greatly appreciate it man, this is why I love internet message boards and forums. Essentially free market capitalism at its finest.

To the moon!

2 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Gonna mark that as a solution I totally forgot VLC and fan curves somehow! 

6 minutes ago, PhatRATTY said:

Ehem, certain illicitly gotten goods which mr Linus has officially unoficially supported under certain situations (Lots of emulators don't work great with antivirus from windows) I run my own antivirus software and you should, in my opinion, never have two instances of antivirus running simultaneously.

If you have a different Antivirus then this should automatically disable OR work together with windows. I never needed to manually disable windows antivirus. In this case windows antivirus automatically reactivates itself when the other one is for some reason not running anymore. I use Kaspersky internet security and it automatically "replaces" windows antivirus, but if kaspersky doesn't work for some reason the windows built in stuff is still there as additional protection.

6 minutes ago, PhatRATTY said:

Also, saying I don't fully understand something was understandably triggering especially when the rest of his message was to completely disregard my original question. "random internet person" "you don't fully understand" "Don't install a program claiming to speed up your PC" essentially telling me not to download ram, that I'm a plebian etc... Totally unprofessional

I'd rather give more advice than needed than too little. If you get "triggered" from just that than that's a whole other problem.

1 minute ago, Stahlmann said:

If you have a different Antivirus like then this should automatically disable OR work together with windows. I never needed to manually disable windows antivirus. In this case windows antivirus automatically reactivates itself when the other one is for some reason not running anymore. I use Kaspersky internet security and it automatically "replaces" windows antivirus, but if kaspersky doesn't work for some reason the windows built in stuff is still there as additional protection.

Not to offend you, but rather give more advice than needed than too little. If you get "triggered" from just that than that's a whole other problem.

Triggered=gamer word
Just something I say when something mildly annoys me lol
With windows 10 professional you can permanently disable antivirus because otherwise it puts your roms in solitary confinement when you aren't looking and then deletes them like an ex who takes your pet... Too far? I have Kasp too but windows 10 antiviral still deletes my stuff without asking pwease.

3 minutes ago, PhatRATTY said:

With windows 10 professional you can permanently disable antivirus because otherwise it puts your roms in solitary confinement when you aren't looking and then deletes them like an ex who takes your pet... Too far? I have Kasp too but windows 10 antiviral still deletes my stuff without asking pwease.

Never had that happen to me. If something got deleted, (which happened to me aswell) even when i absolutely know it's not malware, i check Kaspersky and see that it was in fact Kaspersky that deleted the file or put it in quarantine. But if your usecase needs it to be disabled, go ahead. Just wanted to say it's NORMALLY not necessary to deactivate the built-in Windows Defender.

Never had that happen to me. If something got deleted, (which happened to me aswell) even when i absolutely know it's not malware, i check Kaspersky and see that it was in fact Kaspersky that deleted the file or put it in quarantine. But if your usecase needs it to be disabled, go ahead. Just wanted to say it's NORMALLY not necessary to deactivate the built-in Windows Defender.

Sure, noted. btw Pcie ssd I remembered what the drives are called. 

1 hour ago, PhatRATTY said:

I appreciate your advise but surely even you support disabling windows antivirus, downloading geforce experience, and control panel msi afterburner, xmp, etc so considering that I do have considerable experience with windows I would appreciate you talking to me like an equal and not being spoken down to. Clearly I don't mean changing registry files and downloading excessive bloatware. I mean any QOL improvements that I have done in the past and forgotten about.

No, I don't recommend some of the things you listed.

I wouldn't recommend disabling Windows Defender. Firstly because I use it and that's the AV I recommend. Secondly, because even if you were to install some third party antivirus software it should disable Windows Defender automatically. If it doesn't, then you are either not using a good antivirus suite or something has gone wrong.

GeForce Experience is nice I guess. One of the few drivers I'd recommend you install.

MSI afterburner isn't necessary. But I guess if you want to overclock that's a nice tool to have. 

Enabling XMP can help but hopefully it will already be enabled when you get your PC.

Since you didn't give any indication of how much experience you got or what exactly you want to do, it's hard to gauge your experience. Especially when you have bought a prebuilt that you don't know the name of the components in and are asking for "free programs to boost performance".

1 hour ago, PhatRATTY said:

Ehem, certain illicitly gotten goods which mr Linus has officially unoficially supported under certain situations (Lots of emulators don't work great with antivirus from windows) I run my own antivirus software and you should, in my opinion, never have two instances of antivirus running simultaneously. Also, saying I don't fully understand something was understandably triggering especially when the rest of his message was to completely disregard my original question. "random internet person" "you don't fully understand" "Don't install a program claiming to speed up your PC" essentially telling me not to download ram, that I'm a plebian etc... Totally unprofessional

He didn't say you didn't understand something, he said IF you don't understand something.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

15 hours ago, LAwLz said:

No, I don't recommend some of the things you listed.

I wouldn't recommend disabling Windows Defender. Firstly because I use it and that's the AV I recommend. Secondly, because even if you were to install some third party antivirus software it should disable Windows Defender automatically. If it doesn't, then you are either not using a good antivirus suite or something has gone wrong.

GeForce Experience is nice I guess. One of the few drivers I'd recommend you install.

MSI afterburner isn't necessary. But I guess if you want to overclock that's a nice tool to have. 

Enabling XMP can help but hopefully it will already be enabled when you get your PC.

Since you didn't give any indication of how much experience you got or what exactly you want to do, it's hard to gauge your experience. Especially when you have bought a prebuilt that you don't know the name of the components in and are asking for "free programs to boost performance".

That's not a quote so don't put it in quotation marks; although every quote I made on your words are quotes of yours.

I said settings in terms of the performance side. GeForce Experience legitimately is a free program that can add a lot of frames to certain titles or even make them playable. 

I clearly stated WHY I had bought a prebuilt instead of building my own PC as any gamer would have ascertained had their head not been under a rock. I mentioned cl14 which should have been a dead giveaway I knew what I was talking about although I admit I forgot a singular word and at that even explained the drive I was referring to with the words I had not forgotten. I have a traumatic brain injury which I procured at age 4 (when A kid opened a metal bathroom door with a kick that I was standing in front of) that makes it hard to think of words on the fly and thus makes conversational speaking nigh impossible. I forget some really basic words and phrases and sometimes I can't remember them for a day or more.

MSI afterburner is necessary and quite free for underclocking and undervolting I think is the right word for increased stability and lowered temp which means lower volume and then makes streaming easier with out any fuzziness in the audio background.

If you had watched the linus's many videos on prebuilts and even custom prebuilts you would understand why most people still need to manually enable XMP. 

Even when my antivirus "disables" defender defender still quarantines files randomly 

SO, no I don't recommend some of the things you listed.

a lot of people are recommending turning on XMP. sure it will help with performance, but stability goes down. i don't remember a time where i've used XMP and it didn't just decide to fling out BSODs whenever it felt like it

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

4 hours ago, PhatRATTY said:

That's not a quote so don't put it in quotation marks; although every quote I made on your words are quotes of yours.

I said settings in terms of the performance side. GeForce Experience legitimately is a free program that can add a lot of frames to certain titles or even make them playable. 

I clearly stated WHY I had bought a prebuilt instead of building my own PC as any gamer would have ascertained had their head not been under a rock. I mentioned cl14 which should have been a dead giveaway I knew what I was talking about although I admit I forgot a singular word and at that even explained the drive I was referring to with the words I had not forgotten. I have a traumatic brain injury which I procured at age 4 (when A kid opened a metal bathroom door with a kick that I was standing in front of) that makes it hard to think of words on the fly and thus makes conversational speaking nigh impossible. I forget some really basic words and phrases and sometimes I can't remember them for a day or more.

MSI afterburner is necessary and quite free for underclocking and undervolting I think is the right word for increased stability and lowered temp which means lower volume and then makes streaming easier with out any fuzziness in the audio background.

If you had watched the linus's many videos on prebuilts and even custom prebuilts you would understand why most people still need to manually enable XMP. 

Even when my antivirus "disables" defender defender still quarantines files randomly 

SO, no I don't recommend some of the things you listed.

Dude, calm down. No need to be such a dick.

You came here asking for help and since I don't know anything about you I made some assumptions and gave general advice. Stop acting like I pissed on your mothers grave. To me, you seemed like the type of person who might change a bunch of settings and then get issues, so that's the advice I gave you. I have no idea who you are or your origin story or whatever. Don't you think it's a bit unreasonable to lash out at me because I didn't assume "this person seems unsure about what he is talking about, but maybe it is because of an injury in his childhood so I should give him some other advice instead"?

Not sure what you mean by MSI Afterburner being "quite free" but if you are after high performance and stability then I highly recommend you don't undervolt or underclock your graphics card. You should leave it at stock settings. If your mic is picking up noise from your fans then move the mic our PC.

I think you're approaching this the entirely wrong way.

Wait until you get your PC. Use it for a while, and then you will know what things you want to change. Why plan on undervolting and underclocking your graphics card before you even know what it sounds like and what it performs like?

Why ask for things to change in Windows before you even know what you yourself want to change?

You're asking for QoL improvements you have done in the past but forgotten about. How are we suppose to know what things you changed before and why?

I don't like Aero Shake so I have it disabled using a GPO (it's under user config, admin templates and desktop). Does that mean I should recommend that to you because I think it's a QoL improvement? 

Everyone is different. I recommend you come back when you got the PC and have figured out what you want to change, rather than proactively ask for suggestions that might not suit you at all or unnecessary changes.

I Would Remove Some Bloatware That Comes With It E.G. ANY PRE-Installed non windows defender anti-virus, as its not needed as long as you browse safely (if you think you really need one malwarebytes) for What I Would Put On It For It All, MSI Afterbuener as @LAwLz and you even said is a good app to install, along with some Tools From Nvidia and / or AMD (make sure windows game bar is enabled BTW i use it contantly in work and at home) and for some other bits, perhaps install a benchmarking tool for testing the speeds of your pc while you overclock it, also @LAwLz is trying to help you not make a mistake, i would listen to the guy tbh, plus we all know we can trust the sweeds. (also saying that mentioning cl14 tells us you know what your talking about, a child can mention Nuclear Fission and how it splits attoms and i dont assume they know what they are on about, even though the kid is correct) 

You can only have two:

Quiet

Cool

Performance

If you want high performance you either need to run the system hot or loud. 

You can spend money to make it quieter or cooler but the return from the cost diminishes quite quickly as you pay more.

Personally best thing to do is go OP on the GPU and middle top end CPU, so you can reasonably cool it. Accept a GPU bottleneck.

Spend a bit but not too much on storage, only buy speed if it either makes you money or helps you have more time to do important things. Don’t pay for SSD speed just in case or for boasting about how fast it is.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

7 hours ago, NineEyeRon said:

You can only have two:

Quiet

Cool

Performance

You can spend money to make it quieter or cooler but the return from the cost diminishes quite quickly as you pay more.

Personally best thing to do is go OP on the GPU and middle top end CPU, so you can reasonably cool it. Accept a GPU bottleneck.

Spend a bit but not too much on storage, only buy speed if it either makes you money or helps you have more time to do important things. Don’t pay for SSD speed just in case or for boasting about how fast it is.

I already bought the pc? 3 months ago?

7 hours ago, NineEyeRon said:

You can only have two:

Quiet

Cool

Performance

Its a ROG gpu so I can stand to run it a bit quiet due to the massive heatsink and the cpu has a 360mm rad aio with double stacked fans (push pull) in a corsair 1000D which is the case formerly known as project slate which is absolutely massive with tons of airflow.

On 4/29/2021 at 4:40 AM, PhatRATTY said:

GeForce Experience legitimately is a free program that can add a lot of frames to certain titles or even make them playable. 

Nope. That's marketing talking. Only reason to install Geforce Experience is if you actually use its features. If you don't, it's just bloatware. You can install drivers without it, and I don't recommend updating drivers constantly. That's something which can cause issues as well as solve them.

Underclocking doesn't help if you are after performance. Better just leave those at stock. Undervolting is more about lower power consumption. So main use is the fan control, and maybe OSD.

My advice would be to not do anything special. Install stuff as you go. Change things when needed, not before. Most issues come from too many background processes or other software interference.

For something like stream or internet stability, your part might be the smallest.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv