John Deere: A Cybersecurity Horror Story

Catt0s
On 4/25/2021 at 12:05 PM, Vishera said:

Spying on your customers that paid you tens of thousands of dollars is a big no-no.

It's not spying necessarily, the equipment is supposed to log and send back location information for operation management and analytics (If you subscribe and pay for that service). But that's no excuse for bad security of course.

Devices:

Desktop(s): Main Rig | CPU: R7 1700x, Ram: 16GB, GPU: GTX 1070 Ti

Server(s): My Server 

Laptop(s): Macbook Pro 13" (2015) 

Phone(s): iPhone SE (64GB), Nokia Lumia 925 

I see a John Deere Tractor everyday. I'm pretty impressed by it's Horsepower and the sound it makes but have to cringe hard at the Company behind it. 

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

Reject digital, return to analogue.

I had no idea that John Deere was involved in such questionable stuff. The only product from them i've used from them is this little old school 870 that doesn't have any digital components. 

(WARNING: I EDIT MY POSTS ALL THE TIME. GRAMMAR IS HARD.)

"As I, a humble internet browser who frequents the forum of the well known internet tech YouTuber 'Linus Tech Tips', named after host Linus Sebastian, have trouble understanding the intent of the authors' post, I find solace in the fact, that I am indeed not alone in my confusion. While I stumble through the comments above, I am reminded of a quote which helps me to cut through ambiguous and unnecessary verbiage. The simple eloquence of the phrase often uttered on internet forums leaves any reading it in no doubt as to the true intent of the wording. I believe that I, and indeed all of us can take a lesson from the message left by it:"

(Formerly known as @EjectedCasings)

"Thanks bro, my inner grammarian just had a stroke."

-Yours truly, EjectedCasings

"It's stupid, but it works"

"AAAAAAHHH WHY AM I SPEEENING!"

Enthusiast web surfer, 'epic' gamer.

#muricaparrotgang

How does JD stack up against Kubota, Mahindra, and New Holland regarding ease of self repair and security?

20 hours ago, StDragon said:

How does JD stack up against Kubota, Mahindra, and New Holland regarding ease of self repair and security?

LOL, everyone all up in arms about jd when Kubota has the most locked out tractors on the market, can't access the ecu with 3rd party tools while you can with jd. Everyone talks about JD because they have the largest market share, they are essentially the Apple of machinery.  People buy on name and fandom and pay more for  the perceived quality. 

Mahindra is c tier, new holland is slightly better than jd, AGCO is all over the map, deutz is okay.  

I use jaltest brand for servicing agricultural equipment and John deere is bar far the best supported here in North America.