11900k + Asus z590-A Crashing

Hi Everyone,

I've exhausted my (very limited) knowledge on how to troubleshoot my new PC.  A quick idea of what is going on, and thanks in advance for anyone that my be willing and able to assist with this.

I recently (2 days ago) bought a prebuilt computer.  It is my dream PC and it was a long time in the making.  It got here and i am having constant Blue Screen crashes getting the same two errors.  

1. Machine Check Error

2. Clock Watchdog Timeout

I have tried the following things:

1. Resetting Bios (taking battery out for 10min)
  2. Resetting BIOS to "Optimized defaults"
  3. Turning XMP on 
  4. Turning XMP off
  5. Reformatting windows (clean install)
  6. Performed memory test (system)]
  7. Possibly 1-2 other things i forgot that i Google'd

I have also monitored temps on CPU / GPU and they look normal (Sub 70 degrees).

Computer specs are below:

• 11900k (watercooled)
  • Asus Z590-A
  • Gkill Ripjaw 64 gigs (16gig sticks)
  • Aorus RTX 3090
  • 980 Evo 1TB (OS and a few games installed here)
  • 1200w Thermaltake PSU

The crashes have happened at startup and with light use (Outlook / MS office suite), but more frequently happen under load.  I have had crashes specifically playing Star Citizen as well as GTA.  These are "graphic intense" games i would assume, but i would think the PC should be able to handle without crashes.

If anyone has any help or support they could offer i would greatly appreciate it. 

1 minute ago, Bece7 said:

Hi Everyone,

I've exhausted my (very limited) knowledge on how to troubleshoot my new PC.  A quick idea of what is going on, and thanks in advance for anyone that my be willing and able to assist with this.

I recently (2 days ago) bought a prebuilt computer.  It is my dream PC and it was a long time in the making.  It got here and i am having constant Blue Screen crashes getting the same two errors.  

The crashes have happened at startup and with light use (Outlook / MS office suite), but more frequently happen under load.  I have had crashes specifically playing Star Citizen as well as GTA.  These are "graphic intense" games i would assume, but i would think the PC should be able to handle without crashes.

If anyone has any help or support they could offer i would greatly appreciate it. 

The errors are commonly associated with a CPU issue. You can try updating the BIOS if a newer version is available. If not, considering that this is a prebuilt, you can always RMA it and let someone else deal with this problems. Considering that you most certainly paid a petty for this rig, at the very least it should work out of the box without crashing. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

Hi Analog,

I do appreciate the quick response.  I tried updating the BIOS and did not have any luck with it fixing the issue.

An RMA is certainly an option, but I was hoping to figure it out without the hassle of shipping it back / time spent :).

Are you down to try reinstalling windows? I buy a lot of prebuilts for work, and I used to have issues with them because OEMs tend to stuff bloat into their ISOs to the point of instability. Now the first thing I do whenever we get a new laptop/desktop is fresh install Windows off a USB (I use Microsoft's official tool to build my installer USBs). Haven't had any software issues with them since. You might need to download Intel's Rapid Storage Technology drivers for 11th gen if you can't see your SSD,  Windows 10 doesn't seem to include them by default yet (at least not for the laptops/PCs on 11th gen that I've dealt with so far), so don't get scared off if you boot from the USB and the installer doesn't show any drives. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

It's aasus board, and Asus.... doesn't listen to intel. Id assume it's related to the extream clock/voltage/powerdraw tables that Asus has for 11th gen

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Thanks for the tip Zando. I've tried re-installing it once, BUT i am more than willing to do it again because i did not install off a USB.  I'll give it a few more to see if we get any more tips i haven't tried then I'll move forward with a fresh install off a windows 10 USB.

-Tech Wizard, this was kind of my suspicion.  If this is the case, do i just wait for an update and deal with crashes?  Or is there a way to adjust so it doesnt crash?  This is not something I'm familiar with, so any tips (if it is adjustable would be great.

5 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

It's aasus board, and Asus.... doesn't listen to intel. Id assume it's related to the extream clock/voltage/powerdraw tables that Asus has for 11th gen

I thought ASUS was one of the few that actually followed Intel's recommended spec, with the likes of Gigabyte and MSI doing unlimited power tables and such?

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

2 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

I thought ASUS was one of the few that actually followed Intel's recommended spec, with the likes of Gigabyte and MSI doing unlimited power tables and such?

Not according to a GN video (can be bothered to go through and find the one lol) and this Reddit post

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Not according to a GN video (can be bothered to go through and find the one lol) and this Reddit post

Oh, maybe its retail units that are different then. It says right there in the reddit thread that this was reported in other outlets 

Thanks for the headsup

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

Hi All,

thanks for all the info.  Still no luck.... tried a fresh install today (windows) with no luck.  Also downloaded and paid for DriverFix to make sure everything was up to date.  Completed that with same issues presenting afterword's. 

I have  asus z590-i and am having exact same issues with BSOD, I have tried reinstalling windows and re-installing different drivers and removing any third party software. I made sure no over clocking is happening and bios is update to date and reset to defaults. I am about to buy an MSI board I have had enough.

Skinny,

I'll keep you up to date if i learn anything.  If you could do the same it would be great!

1 hour ago, Bece7 said:

Skinny,

I'll keep you up to date if i learn anything.  If you could do the same it would be great!

Thanks I will do the same, I forgot to mention that I am running a 11900k also so I hope thats not the issue.

Also I am running a 970 evo samsung drive and a WD Black gen 4 drive on the board. Hopefully its not something to do with the evo drive 😞

Disable C States in the BIOS and that will possibly stop the crashing for now. Issue seems to be with the CPU changing clock speeds. 

Same issue on an ASUS Z590-E and 11900K, rock solid with C States disabled but not clocking as high. Hoping for a BIOS fix soon

I removed the samsung 970 evo drive 3 days ago and it hasnt BSOD of death on me once since then. before it was happening daily. the samsung drive was in the gen 3 m2 slot. Running a WD Black Gen 4 drive in other slot.

EDIT

Just ordered another WD Black gen 3 m2 drive to replace the samsung drive I was using. will update once I get it.

After installing a WD Black gen 3 m2 in the second slot on the board I got BSOD running any games from that drive. Keep in mind I am running my OS from the gen 4 slot this entire time. So it seems using the second m2 slot (gen3) is what is causing the BSOD of death for me.

• 2 weeks later...

hello guys, i got the same bsod issue here. i tried to reinstall the win10 with no luck.

My spec: 11900k+asus z590-E. samsung 970 evo in m2 slot3, transcend 220s in m2 slot4. both m2 slot1&2 is blank.

My display card is AMD 6700XT. Not sure if it is caused by amd driver?

Hope there is solution for this kind of bsod. 

Did you install the newest bios that came out a couple weeks ago?

21 hours ago, skinnyzaz said:

Did you install the newest bios that came out a couple weeks ago?

Hi, I share mine. I just bought brand new i9, Z590-E, g-skill trident Z neo 3600 16GBx2 C18. power supply also is new. it is asus rog strix 850W Gold.

my 970evo not brand new. used around a year. but work prefectly.

Forgot what bios version of my MB when I get it. after facing BSOD. I upgrade to the newest version. But won't help.

I wounder my CPU is good or defect, so i run Intel® Processor Diagnostic Tool to test my CPU. The result is "PASS".

I also run ram test tool that provided by win10. the result also pass. Maybe someday run memtest86 will be better.

On 4/28/2021 at 3:10 PM, SergeyM said:

Disable C States in the BIOS and that will possibly stop the crashing for now. Issue seems to be with the CPU changing clock speeds. 

Same issue on an ASUS Z590-E and 11900K, rock solid with C States disabled but not clocking as high. Hoping for a BIOS fix soon

Thank you SergeyM, disable C-state in BIOS it work for me. Now it stop crashing. so far is stable.

Last additional thing to share. Today I remove my 6700XT then use build-in VGA to reinstall window. During install the VGA driver(UHD 750 that build-in with CPU), It suddenly BSOD. And all is broken textures then auto reboot. Also, I found out some specified textures is broken. such as Discord login QR code(Failled to scan). This is crazy. I have stress tested it. But I can't see any broken textures. When I plug back my 6700xt. its resume normal.

I just picked up a tuff z590 plus wifi and a 11900k...and am having the exact same issue. bios updated, clean install...this is frustrating. Will try disable C states and see if that works. Would like a fix for this soon though.

• 4 weeks later...

MSI z590 gaming force + 11700k checking in. watchdog timeout BSOD. last couple were 2 weeks apart. Tonight it happened 2x within 5 hours. Event viewer says hardware failure was the root cause (I'm guessing some driver or device didn't respond to a request in a timely manner). This one is going to be hard to troubleshoot but it looks like its a widespread issue on z590/11th gen intel? nvme 970 evo+ for the main drive. will try moving that to a diff slot and see if that helps.

Asus Prime Z590-A + 11900K with the same problem. Clock_watchdog_timeout bsod's every few hours seemingly randomly. I have read a few threads about this and the consensus seems to be that the CPU is defective. Mine is Made in China but is batch V108xxxxx and not the V110 I have read may have this problem.

I have disabled C States just now and will let this run and hope for the best.

Full rig details:

Asus Prime Z590A

I9-11900K

G.Skill 64GB (2x32GB 3600)

Samsung 1TB 980 Pro (M.2)

2 hours ago, maxxed said:

Asus Prime Z590-A + 11900K with the same problem. Clock_watchdog_timeout bsod's every few hours seemingly randomly. I have read a few threads about this and the consensus seems to be that the CPU is defective. Mine is Made in China but is batch V108xxxxx and not the V110 I have read may have this problem.

I have disabled C States just now and will let this run and hope for the best.

Full rig details:

Asus Prime Z590A

I9-11900K

G.Skill 64GB (2x32GB 3600)

Samsung 1TB 980 Pro (M.2)

Kindly share your result after disable C state. I am getting bsod again. It is really  sad. frequency not high, around 1-2times every day. I'd check in event viewer. it is Kernel Power code41. Is it possible power supply defect? I am consider to buy a new gen3/4 m2 ssd( Just no samsung) to test it. New PC with BSOD...i am so mad. 

On 6/13/2021 at 4:00 PM, Manfreddo said:

MSI z590 gaming force + 11700k checking in. watchdog timeout BSOD. last couple were 2 weeks apart. Tonight it happened 2x within 5 hours. Event viewer says hardware failure was the root cause (I'm guessing some driver or device didn't respond to a request in a timely manner). This one is going to be hard to troubleshoot but it looks like its a widespread issue on z590/11th gen intel? nvme 970 evo+ for the main drive. will try moving that to a diff slot and see if that helps.

It seems to have in common who's suffering BSOD with Z590/11900K + "SAMSUNG EVO SSD" ?

Is there anyone BSOD without SAMSUNG SSD? Please tell.