11900k + Asus z590-A Crashing

can someone please put this to rest and indicate what was the culprit is? is this a Intel chip problem or an Asus motherboard problem?

It is my understanding that the win10 watchdog time outs and the motherboard C states all indicate a processor problem do you agree if so please tell me your experience, if not please tell me why you disagree thank you.

On 6/15/2021 at 12:53 AM, callingbees said:

Asus Prime Z590-A + 11900K with the same problem. Clock_watchdog_timeout bsod's every few hours seemingly randomly. I have read a few threads about this and the consensus seems to be that the CPU is defective. Mine is Made in China but is batch V108xxxxx and not the V110 I have read may have this problem.

I have disabled C States just now and will let this run and hope for the best.

Full rig details:

Asus Prime Z590A

I9-11900K

G.Skill 64GB (2x32GB 3600)

Samsung 1TB 980 Pro (M.2)

please put this to rest and indicate what was the culprit is? is this a Intel chip problem or an Asus motherboard problem?

It is my understanding that the win10 watchdog time outs and the motherboard C states all indicate a processor problem do you agree if so please tell me your experience, if not please tell me why you disagree thank you.

13 minutes ago, ocean11 said:

please put this to rest and indicate what was the culprit is? is this a Intel chip problem or an Asus motherboard problem?

The real issue is that nobody is running these systems stock and expect stock results. This is the true reality. 

Then when having errors after enabling XMP and totally ignoring all the settings the board changes while all left on auto and wonder why there are issues. 

Rule of thumb overclocking, you disable the C-states any F'n ways. Nobody should expect stability running an overclocked system with an under-volt and c-state throttling. Yes the systems "can" be stable, and in most eyes "should" be stable... but it's just not a general consensus. 

So while there has yet to be a real resolution that would be definitive to everyone, it's just not going to happen. Not here, not at OCN, not anywhere. Because if there was, these threads would not be left lingering and would be marked as solved.

Begging to agree and disagree like quantum computing simultaneously (yenos)! 

I have come upon this remedy? Will try and see!

Maybe this will help someone.

FINALLY FIXED IT(apparently)

I used the native driver verifier and followed the instructions from this site, this performed heavy stuff on all the drivers, BSOD after BSOD I then fixed/removed all the driver which were causing them(saw them with WhoCrashed),

It then went well and I really thought I fixed it, then I googled my BSOD and watched the first video, that popped up(I actually never do this cause its bait most of the time)

the fix in the video were some changes in the registry (idk what they did)

no BSOD since 10 days, it was not a hardware but a software problem(apparently) 🙂

Registry fix:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001­\Services\TimeBroker]
"Start"=dword:00000003

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001­\Services\SysMain]
"DisplayName"="Superfetch"

What do you think?

1 hour ago, ocean11 said:

I have come upon this remedy? Will try and see!

Maybe this will help someone.

FINALLY FIXED IT(apparently)

I used the native driver verifier and followed the instructions from this site, this performed heavy stuff on all the drivers, BSOD after BSOD I then fixed/removed all the driver which were causing them(saw them with WhoCrashed),

It then went well and I really thought I fixed it, then I googled my BSOD and watched the first video, that popped up(I actually never do this cause its bait most of the time)

the fix in the video were some changes in the registry (idk what they did)

no BSOD since 10 days, it was not a hardware but a software problem(apparently) 🙂

Registry fix:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001­\Services\TimeBroker]

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001­\Services\SysMain]
"DisplayName"="Superfetch"

What do you think?

I think that's when you notice "RuntimeBroker" is using a lot of resources and you want it to stop....

The next one down I recognize from memory leak threads. 

Neither have anything to do with enabling or disabling C-states while overclocking.....

Update from me:

1. I swapped out the CPU and the machine has been rock solid every since. 

2. There are new motherboard updates that supposedly address this issue, but as my setup is stable I won't be able to confirm this 

So my issue was solved with a mobo swap. 

5 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I think that's when you notice "RuntimeBroker" is using a lot of resources and you want it to stop....

The next one down I recognize from memory leak threads. 

Neither have anything to do with enabling or disabling C-states while overclocking.....

Ok, thx for the input.

34 minutes ago, callingbees said:

Update from me:

2. There are new motherboard updates that supposedly address this issue, but as my setup is stable I won't be able to confirm this 

Mobo and cpu? Or just mobo?

36 minutes ago, callingbees said:

Update from me:

I have swapped my mobo with no change so I will try cpu now.

• 5 months later...

Registered just now to say: I also have the Z590-E / 11900K combo and have been getting both CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT and MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION intermittently. The most frustrating part was the randomness of the crashes. @karl-h mentioned being able to consistently reproduce the issue with Cinebench, so I tried it and I was also able to consistently crash my new computer using Cinebench. Thank you @karl-h!

I disabled c-states and now Cinebench no longer results in a BSOD.

Will report back if the crashes return.

@synkarius see my other thread - this is exactly what I had to do. Disable C-States entirely, otherwise the platform is just not stable. Insane.