11900k + Asus z590-A Crashing

@Clausewitz I don't see anything along those lines.

I did change AVX2/AVX-512 Ratio Offsets to 5 to get them into 4.8 GHz range, based off of advice from a Level1Techs video.

And I did type in TJ MAX of 100 since the "Auto" defaults to like 115C.

IMG_2660 - Copy.JPEG

IMG_2661 - Copy.JPEG

IMG_2662 - Copy.JPEG

10 minutes ago, iransofaraway said:

@Clausewitz I don't see anything along those lines.

I did change AVX2/AVX-512 Ratio Offsets to 5 to get them into 4.8 GHz range, based off of advice from a Level1Techs video.

And I did type in TJ MAX of 100 since the "Auto" defaults to like 115C.

IMG_2660 - Copy.JPEG

IMG_2661 - Copy.JPEG

IMG_2662 - Copy.JPEG

An AVX2 offset of 5 is extremely high and your CPU will run at a lower frequency in most cases. I think that's too steep. Also, IDK about your BIOS but asus lets us disable AVX512 all together. 12900k doesn't even use AVX512 so I think it's going to die on consumer chips anyway - that's not the point.

I don't see anything that looks like MCE. However, what options are under "unlimited current limit".

Since it's auto it may be exceeding intel currents. 

EDIT: See how your long duration Power Limit us 4095 (auto) that is pretty much unlimited mode. Meaning it's not observind intel limits.

The 11900K has a 125W PL1 power rating (at the base frequency) and a 250W PL2 (boost) rating

7 minutes ago, Clausewitz said:

An AVX2 offset of 5 is extremely high and your CPU will run at a lower frequency in most cases. I think that's too steep. Also, IDK about your BIOS but asus lets us disable AVX512 all together. 12900k doesn't even use AVX512 so I think it's going to die on consumer chips anyway - that's not the point.

I don't see anything that looks like MCE. However, what options are under "unlimited current limit".

Since it's auto it may be exceeding intel currents. 

Okay I’ll turn AVX stuff back to auto. 

under unlimited current limit it shows Auto, Enabled and Disabled. Description says “this feature allows you to disable processor throttling caused by current limit”. And of course doesn’t tell me what Auto does. Sigh. 

3 minutes ago, iransofaraway said:

Okay I’ll turn AVX stuff back to auto. 

under unlimited current limit it shows Auto, Enabled and Disabled. Description says “this feature allows you to disable processor throttling caused by current limit”. And of course doesn’t tell me what Auto does. Sigh. 

Having the power limits maxed out is not going to help us figured this out. 

Lets do this under Long Duration Power Limit : 250w

Short Duration Power Limit: 250w. 

Unlimited Current Limit: disabled

Then turn on the ABT with C-states.

Subjective opinion: I'd return that if I could and get a M13H - assuming it's in the thirty day window.

48 minutes ago, Clausewitz said:

Having the power limits maxed out is not going to help us figured this out. 

Lets do this under Long Duration Power Limit : 250w

Short Duration Power Limit: 250w. 

Unlimited Current Limit: disabled

Then turn on the ABT with C-states.

Subjective opinion: I'd return that if I could and get a M13H - assuming it's in the thirty day window.

I can give those settings a try. I purchased this stuff June 9th from MicroCenter, so I'm past the return window. I honestly don't remember having this many problems early on. I don't know if it was a BIOS update or something else.

Do you think I should try ABT, even with air cooling? My cooler is a NOCTUA NH-D15.

2 minutes ago, iransofaraway said:

I can give those settings a try. I purchased this stuff June 9th from MicroCenter, so I'm past the return window. I honestly don't remember having this many problems early on. I don't know if it was a BIOS update or something else.

Do you think I should try ABT, even with air cooling? My cooler is a NOCTUA NH-D15.

It's up to you - I think an NH-D15 is on par with most 240mm AIOs. It's not the greatest cooling solution but it definitely should be okay with ABT. 

Either way, reign in those power settings. 

This video explains why they do it: 

4 minutes ago, Clausewitz said:

It's up to you - I think an NH-D15 is on par with most 240mm AIOs. It's not the greatest cooling solution but it definitely should be okay with ABT. 

Thanks. Here’s what my bios is currently using:

BIOS defaults except:

All fans to full speed. 

C.A.M. (Clever Access Memory): [Enabled]
Long Duration Power Limit: [250.000]
Short Duration Power Limit: [250.000]
CPU Tj Max: [100]
Unlimited Current Limit: [Disabled]
Intel Adaptive Boost Technology: [Enabled]
Secure Boot: [Enabled]
Secure Boot Mode: [Standard]
UEFI Setup Style: [Advance Mode]

And windows set to Balanced power mode. Anything else to tweak?

6 minutes ago, iransofaraway said:

Thanks. Here’s what my bios is currently using:

BIOS defaults except:

All fans to full speed. 

C.A.M. (Clever Access Memory): [Enabled]
Long Duration Power Limit: [250.000]
Short Duration Power Limit: [250.000]
CPU Tj Max: [100]
Unlimited Current Limit: [Disabled]
Intel Adaptive Boost Technology: [Enabled]
Secure Boot: [Enabled]
Secure Boot Mode: [Standard]
UEFI Setup Style: [Advance Mode]

And windows set to Balanced power mode. Anything else to tweak?

Enable XMP.

2 minutes ago, Clausewitz said:

Enable XMP.

Okay, got it. Enabling XMP profile 1 resulted in my BIOS also changing “CPU PLL Spread Spectrum” from Auto to Disabled. I assume that’s ok?

Annnnnd it already froze up. Was in middle of browsing Chrome. 

And one of my USB ports stopped working after that latest freeze. I filled out ASRock's RMA form and it returns a server error. Sigh. Emailing them directly.

24 minutes ago, iransofaraway said:

Annnnnd it already froze up. Was in middle of browsing Chrome. 

I don't think your CPU will run ABT enabled - at least not on that board at the moment. You'd need to disable C-states.

3 minutes ago, Clausewitz said:

If you can try to get an M13H it's a way better experience. 

Unfortunately I'm past the return window, so this is what I'm stuck with. Unless I wanna try and find someone to buy this board off me and I can try and recoup my losses.

26 minutes ago, iransofaraway said:

Unfortunately I'm past the return window, so this is what I'm stuck with. Unless I wanna try and find someone to buy this board off me and I can try and recoup my losses.

Have you tried clearing CMOS (taking out the coin battery) or are the USB ports 100% dead?

Just now, Clausewitz said:

Have you tried clearing CMOS (taking out the coin battery) or are the USB ports 100% dead?

Clearing CMOS (using physical button) seems to have fixed the USB port.

21 minutes ago, iransofaraway said:

Clearing CMOS (using physical button) seems to have fixed the USB port.

What BIOS version do you have on your Taichi?

4 minutes ago, Clausewitz said:

What BIOS version do you have on your Taichi?

Latest, 2.20

4 minutes ago, iransofaraway said:

Latest, 2.20

Does the system freeze with C-states enabled WITHOUT ABT?

1 minute ago, Clausewitz said:

Does the system freeze with C-states enabled WITHOUT ABT?

Yes, I believe so. But I do not have a reproducible way to get it to freeze. I just have to use the system like normal until it freezes. So I can't quickly change variables and try things (unless it immediately fails like it did above when I tried your settings).

Yes, I believe so. But I do not have a reproducible way to get it to freeze. I just have to use the system like normal until it freezes. So I can't quickly change variables and try things (unless it immediately fails like it did above when I tried your settings).

So if you load optimized defaults (default BIOS) and run the PC it'll freeze? Give that a try. 

This is *starting* to sound like it could actually be a hardware issue. I suspect the motherboard if the USB ports just went out after freezing. 

It's not outside the realm of possibility this is a hardware issue - but why are others seeing similar things regarding Z590 and/or 11-series CPUs? I'm really curious what @Rezur3kt found?

It's not outside the realm of possibility this is a hardware issue - but why are others seeing similar things regarding Z590 and/or 11-series CPUs? I'm really curious what @Rezur3kt found?

Well, you see - this cuts both ways. In some cases, RMAs fixed the issue: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1330614-11900k-asus-z590-a-crashing/?do=findComment&comment=14806761

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?123415-Maximus-13-and-Rocket-Lake-The-Rules-have-Changed/page3#post832111

@Clausewitz I guess I'll start a replacement with Intel then. And with ASRock just to be safe? Or just start with CPU? Seems like those other folks just replaced CPU.

1 minute ago, iransofaraway said:

@Clausewitz I guess I'll start a replacement with Intel then. And with ASRock just to be safe? Or just start with CPU? Seems like those other folks just replaced CPU.

Honestly, if the USB ports suddenly stopped working (for me) I would RMA the motherboard. 

The CPU could be at fault and you will be without a motherboard so you may as well RMA it as well.

I understand this is frustrating and I feel your pain here. But you spent quite a bit of money to have a product freeze + USB ports go out just browsing the internet.