11900k + Asus z590-A Crashing

My rig ran stable for around 8 hours after disabling C State. I decided to return the CPU, but unfortunately the replacement was also made in China and from the same batch. I have not started testing the new CPU yet due to work commitments, but will get to that tomorrow.

I should add:

1. There are numerous threads about this issue in several languages.

2. Here is a swedish site that I found most helpful (you will need to translate). https://www.sweclockers.com/forum/trad/1631356-ny-dator-intel-11900k-samt-asus-prime-z590-a-bsod-hela-tiden

3. On the ROG forums, one of the moderators SHAMINO has provided some users with a beta bios. Its not clear to me if that is newer/better than the 0707 bios, but it might be worth reaching out to him to see if he can get you a beta bios for your board. I will wait to see if mine is stable before going that route: https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?123415-Maximus-13-and-Rocket-Lake-The-Rules-have-Changed

For what its worth, I dont think this is related to the PSU or Samsung SSD's at all. This seems to be either a CPU issue or a motherboard bios problem. 

Edit: Another thread: 

Based on the other threads, for Bios 0707 if you turn off Hyperthreading then the BSODS stop. It seems there is an 080x beta bios circulating (by Shamino) that fixes these problems. I will report back after testing with the new replacement CPU.

21 minutes ago, maxxed said:

Based on the other threads, for Bios 0707 if you turn off Hyperthreading then the BSODS stop. It seems there is an 080x beta bios circulating (by Shamino) that fixes these problems. I will report back after testing with the new replacement CPU.

Thanks for share. Look forward your new replacement CPU.

New CPU update. No crashes for 15 hours now. Previous CPU would crash every hour or so under the same light load. I am running stock settings in the Bios with XMP enabled, and have changed nothing.

So clearly this issue does not affect all CPU's, only some. 

FWIW my previous CPU had an SP of 76, and the current one is 84. I will report back with updates if anything changes.

I updated my Z590-E BIOS to beta version which provided by one of the moderators SHAMINO from ROG forums. Thanks @callingbees

I did it on 16/6, no any bsod so far. Everything look good. 

I keep C-state in default with Auto. Memory with XMP II. My CPU SP is 97. 

Hope there is official BIOS available soon.... 

So I am having the same issue with the same specs as everyone else. How do I get my hands on this Beta BIOS version. I would love to get my hands on it.

FIXED.. set up ROG STRIX Z590, i9 11700k, RTX 3080 and M2 SSD, tried everything from updating drivers, bios and reinstalling windows, continued to randomly get the BSoD on bench marks or while playing games, FINALLY once I disabled 'C-STATES (BIOS > Advance menu > CPU configuration > power management > C states > disable) the BSoD stopped, I've stress tested several times without issues. Changed a few other settings in BIOS but believe disabling the C-State is what fixed it (all benchmarks almost doubled in score also). Hope this helps.

16 minutes ago, Shady Cuzz said:

FIXED.. set up ROG STRIX Z590, i9 11700k, RTX 3080 and M2 SSD, tried everything from updating drivers, bios and reinstalling windows, continued to randomly get the BSoD on bench marks or while playing games, FINALLY once I disabled 'C-STATES (BIOS > Advance menu > CPU configuration > power management > C states > disable) the BSoD stopped, I've stress tested several times without issues. Changed a few other settings in BIOS but believe disabling the C-State is what fixed it (all benchmarks almost doubled in score also). Hope this helps.

The CPUs should function with c states. The fact it doesn't is troubling and makes me think 11th gen has more defects than we know.

I've seen others report replacing the CPU itself has resolved the issues.

I wouldn't be satisfied with having to disable C states to get stability 

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone i am having exact same issue BSOD with clock watchdog timeout or Machine check exception.

I can replicate the machine exception bsod at the end of 1st pass in cinebench.

Current setup:

asus rog z590

intel 11900k

samsung 980 pro 1TB m.2

and corsair 16gb ram @ 4000mhz

RTX 3090 MSI  

worst 5000$ PC ever.

Also: if i place any ram type in the left slot the pc will not boot. So I only use 16gb of my 32gb kit 

Any help is very appreciated TY

Hi All,

New here.. Same issue as everyone else.. I've gotta temporary fix!

1. I took out motherboard battery, reseated all power cables. Disconnected all hard drives (I had 4 connected.. lol). Also went from 32GB ram to 16 (1x stick) and re-seated in different slot.

2. On the exit page in the BIOS I reset it back to 'optimised defaults'.

Hasn't skipped a beat!!

It was crashing BSOD Clock_watchdog_timeout randomly.. I've been working on this all day (3D modelling) and not crashed once.. 

I need to now slowly add things back (memory stick and also ensure my hard drives are formatted, the ones I had in had OS installed from old desktop)..

I think the single channel ram is a good temporary fix if you need it for work or just so it's stable.. I really hope they fix this.. I'm also contemplating if I got a faulty batch also.. Made in China, Batch: V115HXXX..

i9 - 11900k

590 MB - Asus Rog Strix

32GB RAM Trident 

Samsung Evo 980 m.2

750w psu corsair

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, also have this problem, in a few days ago bought gigabyte 3080 Ti and faced in this problem, before i had 1050 and never seen this error, but now I think what to do, i will use advice here and will look if it fix the problem.
ROG STRIX Z590-E GAMING WIFI
Intel i9-11900K
32GB RAM HyperX
RTX 3080 Ti
Samsung SSD 980 PRO 1TB (system)
Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250GB
SanDIsk SSD Plus 1TB
ST1000DM003-1ER162

the point is that this problem happen after changing video card to more powerful in my situation

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone, 

I am having the same problems and I do NOT own the 11th gen intel. Here are my specs:

i9 - 10850k

z590 MB - Asus Rog Strix Gaming E

32GB RAM Trident Z Neo

Samsung Evo 970 m.2

850w psu corsair

I took it to microcenter they tried to fix it. They tried everything and said that it was most likely a motherboard issue or cpu issue. For some reason the issue occurred every single time they tried to update the drivers. I do not know what to do. I tried disabling the c-state. Still crashes. It all began when I updated some of the mobo drivers a couple of days ago (specifically the realTek audio). The guys at microcenter wiped everything and tried to re-install the drivers and kept crashing. CPU? MOBO issues? Has there even been an official BIOS fix? 

On 6/17/2021 at 1:01 AM, callingbees said:

New CPU update. No crashes for 15 hours now. Previous CPU would crash every hour or so under the same light load. I am running stock settings in the Bios with XMP enabled, and have changed nothing.

So clearly this issue does not affect all CPU's, only some. 

FWIW my previous CPU had an SP of 76, and the current one is 84. I will report back with updates if anything changes.

Any updates after changing the CPU?

1 hour ago, lilypad96 said:

realTek audio

I have a Z490 board with Realtek audio. I am using a driver from early this year, 6.0.9099.1

No stability issues. Same Strix Gaming - E board but with the older Z490 chipset instead of Z590.

If it is not too late, down grade to an older board that is rock solid stable.  

image.png.bf1790df2a177d6389abee4fa39ddbed.png

image.png.3134b9a553b986f75f8d96e2e9ffbdb7.png

image.png.c6f27f941b5235d779358b3ffa2216d9.png

2 days setup

i9 11900k

ASUS ROG z590-e gaming wifi

EVGA 3070Ti FTW3

Gskill TRIDENTZ 2X16GB 3600Mhz

Samsung 980Pro evo

3-4 random bsods, and next regular 3 bsods in cinebench (multi core test). Actually doing MemTest86, waiting for the results. 

No changes in bios, but also not updated bios.

@James Saren You have a really similar setup, how is your situation?

Following this thread guys, curious if it gets resolved.

EDIT: Turned c-state to disabled in the bios (if anyone curious bios -> advanced -> cpu configuration -> CPU power management -> CPU C-States), and first time cinebench passed multi core test without bsod. Will repeat the test tomorrow and report how it performs. 

Just throwing this out there - I'm on the ASRock motherboard, but same chipset and CPU, and having random freezes/weirdness: 

@iransofaraway did 3 cinebench multi core tests today with c-state disabled and haven't got any bsod so far. I will work and play on the pc to test if any new bsods appear.

2 hours ago, app said:

cinebench

When a CPU is fully loading running Cinebench, it is not using any of the low power C states. Having the C states enabled or disabled during a full load test like this should not make any difference. 

15 hours ago, app said:

No changes in bios, but also not updated bios.

What BIOS version are you using?

@unclewebb bios 0232x64

Tested again, returned to default bios settings and cstate is auto there. Have just made a cinebench 1minute - freeze + bsod.

Restored and turned cstate to disable and did the test again - 0 bsods. Today the pc was turned on for about 10hours (with cstate disabled) and 0 bsods. 

36 minutes ago, app said:

bios 0232

You are using the original BIOS version from January 12th. If I was having any sort of stability issues, the very first thing I would do is I would update my computer with the latest BIOS. It is simple to update an Asus board. Stop wasting time running Cinebench tests and update your board. 

https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z590-e-gaming-wifi-model/helpdesk_bios

The retail 11900K processors did not even exist yet when the 0232 BIOS was released. The updates include useful things like "improved system stability". 

1 hour ago, unclewebb said:

You are using the original BIOS version from January 12th. If I was having any sort of stability issues, the very first thing I would do is I would update my computer with the latest BIOS. It is simple to update an Asus board. Stop wasting time running Cinebench tests and update your board. 

https://rog.asus.com/motherboards/rog-strix/rog-strix-z590-e-gaming-wifi-model/helpdesk_bios

The retail 11900K processors did not even exist yet when the 0232 BIOS was released. The updates include useful things like "improved system stability". 

Thousands of people are having this issue. C-states being disabled fixes the problem - until we get a new ucode on 11th gen.

No we shouldn't have BSODs with C-states but we are. The user disabled them and then ran cinebench and it wasn't causing any further issues - when enabled, the issue returned. 

I'm not sure why you want to argue it's the BIOS or not related to the massive scale 11900k situation.

1 hour ago, Clausewitz said:

Thousands of people are having this issue. C-states being disabled fixes the problem - until we get a new ucode on 11th gen.

No we shouldn't have BSODs with C-states but we are. The user disabled them and then ran cinebench and it wasn't causing any further issues - when enabled, the issue returned. 

I'm not sure why you want to argue it's the BIOS or not related to the massive scale 11900k situation.

I can't speak directly for uncle web, but this issue is not solely contained to Intel 11th gen but also AMD platforms.

With a guesstimate of probability, for AMD it was a large issue with low end memory kits that mainly used SK Hynix. 

The variables are the same, hang ups and blue screens trying to run high quantity amounts and XMP profiles. In many cases resulting in either lower freq used or relaxed timings, extra voltage and in some cases both.

From an overclockers standpoint, I'm not interested in power savings while it's known to assist in v-droop, sometimes a little extra LLC helps here too.

It's tough to diag a lot of issues without good reliable feed back and of course can't actually touch and see it. Just have to hope you get the right feed back for proper diag. Or it's not worth it. Like in that other thread the gentleman was having an issue only but after installing a 2nd kit of memory. We must pay attention to wording as well. Specifics matter.

1 hour ago, Clausewitz said:

you want to argue it's the BIOS

If you scroll up in this thread, @bsodgg updated the BIOS on his Z590-E Gaming board. After he did this, his problems seem to have been solved with C states and XMP enabled.

If you have stability problems after building a new computer, updating the BIOS is always the first thing you should do.  

1 hour ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I can't speak directly for uncle web, but this issue is not solely contained to Intel 11th gen but also AMD platforms.

With a guesstimate of probability, for AMD it was a large issue with low end memory kits that mainly used SK Hynix. 

The variables are the same, hang ups and blue screens trying to run high quantity amounts and XMP profiles. In many cases resulting in either lower freq used or relaxed timings, extra voltage and in some cases both.

From an overclockers standpoint, I'm not interested in power savings while it's known to assist in v-droop, sometimes a little extra LLC helps here too.

It's tough to diag a lot of issues without good reliable feed back and of course can't actually touch and see it. Just have to hope you get the right feed back for proper diag. Or it's not worth it. Like in that other thread the gentleman was having an issue only but after installing a 2nd kit of memory. We must pay attention to wording as well. Specifics matter.

In other thread he's reported that disabling the C-states so far has not caused him any further issues. ( so far)

45 minutes ago, Clausewitz said:

In other thread he's reported that disabling the C-states so far has not caused him any further issues. ( so far)

When overclocking, it's a pretty standard thing to do..... why save power when you want to put the hammer down.

It's like getting larger jets in the carburetor, but lowering the fuel pressure at the regulator.