I5-8250u undervolting questions

JohnDeereBro

My i5 8250u gets very toasty during gaming, so I took the advice of the forum and downloaded throttlestop. However, the voltage settings on my cpu seem to be locked. Are they supposed to be locked? 

never really heard of undervolting/underclocking or any cpu configuration on mobile cpus

4 minutes ago, JohnDeereBro said:

My i5 8250u gets very toasty during gaming, so I took the advice of the forum and downloaded throttlestop. However, the voltage settings on my cpu seem to be locked. Are they supposed to be locked? 

Did you make sure to have the checkmark next to unlock adjustable voltage

if you are less experienced, you should use intel XTU. it has less features but you are FAR less likely to break something. there are so many things in throttlestop that for a new person to undervolting, you can cause issues. with XTU its much eaier to understand what you are doing. 

if you do decide to use XTU, uninstall throttlestop as having both ca also cause issues.

It might be that you have an updated BIOS that blocked voltage access due to the Plundervolt issue, so if that was the case then TS wouldn't allow for undervolting due to the blocked voltage control. Depending on your laptop, there might be ways to remove this as there are people who sucessfully removed this block even with the updated BIOS/microcode. 

Laptops and other OEMs rarely allow you to touch voltage controls. Too much risk to break something.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv