What is your favourite version of windows?

18 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite version of windows?

• Windows 1.0
    • Windows 3.0
    • Windows 3.1
    • Windows 95
    • Windows 98
    • Windows ME
    • Windows XP
    • Windows Vista
    • Windows 7
    • Windows 8/8.1
    • Windows 10
    • Other (say in comments)

My Laptop: A MacBook Air 

My Desktop: Don’t have one 

My Phone: An Honor 8s (although I don’t recommend it)

My Favourite OS: Linux

My Console: A Regular PS4

My Tablet: A Huawei Mediapad m5 

Spoiler

windows

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

Just now, Letgomyleghoe said:

windows

Wow

Spoiler

Windows 95

everything that came after failed to live up to its reputation

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠛⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣤⣄⡀⠀⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⣿⣿⣿⠃⢰⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢶⣶⣶⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⢠⡀⠐⠀⠀⠀⠻⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⢸⣷⡄⠀⠣⣄⡀⠀⠉⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⣿⣿⣦⠀⠹⣿⣷⣶⣦⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣼⣿⣿⣿⣷⣄⣸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⡿⢛⡙⢻⠛⣉⢻⣉⢈⣹⣿⣿⠟⣉⢻⡏⢛⠙⣉⢻⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣇⠻⠃⣾⠸⠟⣸⣿⠈⣿⣿⣿⡀⠴⠞⡇⣾⡄⣿⠘⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣟⠛⣃⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

whoever voted win10 is mentally damaged.

AMD blackout rig

1 minute ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

Or they are just very young and never got to experience older OSes completely.

Just now, GalacticRuler said:

or ever used linux, or had to deal with the bullshit that is win10.

AMD blackout rig

10 minutes ago, GalacticRuler said:

Or the opposite...

Been playing with 98SE on an old machine these past weeks and was promptly reminded of how often it would break/crash.

XP runs smooth, 7 was fine too, but for actual usability and stability nowadays definitely Win10 for me.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

26 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

or ever used linux, or had to deal with the bullshit that is win10.

I work in IT. Windows 10 is by far the most stable version of Windows when it comes to deployment.

I participated in the Windows 10 Insider beta and grew to love it. I actively use Ubuntu on WSL and run TrueNAS as a server OS.

Make sure to quote me or use @PorkishPig to notify me that you replied!

Desktop

CPU - Ryzen 9 3900X | Cooler - Noctua NH-D15 | Motherboard - ASUS TUF X570-PLUS RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 32GB Case - Meshify C

GPU - RTX 3080 FE PSU - Straight Power 11 850W Platinum Storage - 980 PRO 1TB, 960 EVO 500GB, S31 1TB, MX500 500GB | OS - Windows 11 Pro

Homelab

CPU - Core i5-11400 | Cooler - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard - ASRock Z590M-ITX RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3600 32GB (2x16)  | Case - Node 304

PSU - EVGA B3 650W | Storage - 860 EVO 256GB, Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB, WD Red 4TB (x6 in RAIDZ1 w/ LSI 9207-8i) | OS - TrueNAS Scale (Debian)

20 minutes ago, Kilrah said:

Or the opposite...

Been playing with 98SE on an old machine these past weeks and was promptly reminded of how often it would break/crash.

XP runs smooth, 7 was fine too, but for actual usability and stability nowadays definitely Win10 for me.

Yeah XP was good and stable

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, PorkishPig said:

I work in IT. Windows 10 is by far the most stable version of Windows when it comes to deployment.

I participated in the Windows 10 Insider beta and grew to love it. I actively use Ubuntu on WSL and run TrueNAS as a server OS.

Not a fan of the tracking though

Spoiler

34 minutes ago, Inception9269 said:

Windows 95

everything that came after failed to live up to its reputation

Why not 98 if you are a fan of that era?

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, PorkishPig said:

wait till you have win10 decide it wants to corrupt all your files during an update... or a bsod issue like this dude is having 

https://linustechtips.com/profile/738832-pythonmegapixel/#

AMD blackout rig

Just now, Letgomyleghoe said:

wait till you have win10 decide it wants to corrupt all your files during an update...

lol

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, PorkishPig said:

Just hate how Microsaft tries to beta test with normal users, I use to use windows but windows 10 made me use mac and linux

Spoiler

9 hours ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

wait till you have win10 decide it wants to corrupt all your files during an update... or a bsod issue like this dude is having 

https://linustechtips.com/profile/738832-pythonmegapixel/#

You're gonna have occasional issues with every system out there - all in all it's rare, I've been using win10 on dozens of machines since it's been released and never had upgrade issues. And I can't say as much from linux systems I've used in the same period...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

13 hours ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

Or just has a different opinion than you. I, for one, think Windows 10 is the best Windows so far. Yes, I have used Windows from 3.0 forwards, I have a good handful of devices running Linux all the time and I would definitely count as a skilled tech-enthusiast, so none of your claims about anyone liking Windows 10 being inexperienced dumbtards or something apply.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

I run Win XP, 98 SE on a regular, 10 is the best OS to date in terms of stability, 7 for usability and simplicity.

XP & 98 SE hold huge nostalgia but in reality come with a big host of problems, drivers are a real PITA.

16 hours ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

Not really, for a lot of tech savvy users, Windows 10 is a disgrace, but for the average consumer, its great. Its kinda slow, but the ui is easy to understand for someone new, and for someone who hasn't used computers much, settings makes a lot more sense than control panel. Plus, it when it comes to design, everyone can have different opinions. I really like the way Windows 10 looks. I wish they still had aero, it wouldn't update automatically, and the telemetry/ads were minimal. 

1 minute ago, Aroraakshaj70 said:

Not really, for a lot of tech savvy users, Windows 10 is a disgrace, but for the average consumer, its great. Its kinda slow, but the ui is easy to understand for someone new, and for someone who hasn't used computers much, settings makes a lot more sense than control panel. Plus, it when it comes to design, everyone can have different opinions. I really like the way Windows 10 looks. I wish they still had aero, it wouldn't update automatically, and the telemetry/ads were minimal. 

Aero was actually quite terrible, playing older retro games would mess the colors up due to color depth differences, with Aero enabled you would get messed up colors.

16 hours ago, GalacticRuler said:

1. That's me, but I did get to experience xp, cuz my school was running xp on the computers for junior school until 2016, when it went out of support. They then went straight to 10. I did have an old win7 machine at home though, and I played a bit with it. I loved aero but had gotten so used to windows 10 and 8.1 start menu that at that point, I was just confused about how it worked and just went back to using Windows 10. U have heard that the start menu is great from other people who hadn't gotten so used to the metro ui of Windows 10 and whatever its called ui of Windows 8.1. 

-> Moved to Windows

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

7 hours ago, Kilrah said:

You're gonna have occasional issues with every system out there - all in all it's rare, I've been using win10 on dozens of machines since it's been released and never had upgrade issues. And I can't say as much from linux systems I've used in the same period...

I've been using win10 since it just about came out, on probably 7 different machines, and the amount of issues I've had over that period of time is completely unacceptable for a piece of software that costs $110. I've had three systems where windows decided it would be great to upgrade over night and delete/corrupt a fuck ton of files for the hell of it, I had one update recently in which during a windows update one of my centos partitions just *happened* to disappear, and another time after a restart somehow windows corrupted the file explorer or something alike, so that I could see all the programs on the desktop, but I couldn't open any programs or files without it throwing out an error. Also, why the fuck should I need to reinstall the OS every year or so it doesn't become bloated slow or break? what other paid software has issues like that? it's completely unacceptable from a multi billion dollar company.

5 hours ago, WereCatf said:

Or just has a different opinion than you. I, for one, think Windows 10 is the best Windows so far. Yes, I have used Windows from 3.0 forwards, I have a good handful of devices running Linux all the time and I would definitely count as a skilled tech-enthusiast, so none of your claims about anyone liking Windows 10 being inexperienced dumbtards or something apply.

well I'm happy you've dodged the bullet that is windows 10, but the amount of bullshit that I've seen others have issues with, and experienced myself it is far from the best version  of windows, you can read some of the experiences in the above quote if you so please. Windows also can't seem to fix all the bugs in win10 and instead keeps adding/updating UI that no one really needs,  also decided that it would be a great idea to package bloatware and data tracking software in  their own goddamn *$110* OS for whatever reason, and made microsoft edge or explorer or whatever they're calling it now basically uninstallable in the latest few updates, need I go on? 

2 hours ago, Aroraakshaj70 said:

I like the look of it to, but I'd rather have an os that doesn't delete or corrupt my files while updating, need to be reinstalled every 6-12 months due to slowdowns, come with preinstalled bloatware and data tracking software, or hold a gun to my head to try and get me to use edge by basically making it uninstallable.

I should say that it's not the worst, by far, it could be alot worse, but it's still completely insane.

AMD blackout rig

16 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

I've been using win10 since it just about came out, on probably 7 different machines, and the amount of issues I've had over that period of time is completely unacceptable for a piece of software that costs $110. I've had three systems where windows decided it would be great to upgrade over night and delete/corrupt a fuck ton of files for the hell of it, I had one update recently in which during a windows update one of my centos partitions just *happened* to disappear, and another time after a restart somehow windows corrupted the file explorer or something alike, so that I could see all the programs on the desktop, but I couldn't open any programs or files without it throwing out an error. Also, why the fuck should I need to reinstall the OS every year or so it doesn't become bloated slow or break? what other paid software has issues like that? it's completely unacceptable from a multi billion dollar company.

well I'm happy you've dodged the bullet that is windows 10, but the amount of bullshit that I've seen others have issues with, and experienced myself it is far from the best version  of windows, you can read some of the experiences in the above quote if you so please. Windows also can't seem to fix all the bugs in win10 and instead keeps adding/updating UI that no one really needs,  also decided that it would be a great idea to package bloatware and data tracking software in  their own goddamn *$110* OS for whatever reason, and made microsoft edge or explorer or whatever they're calling it now basically uninstallable in the latest few updates, need I go on? 

I like the look of it to, but I'd rather have an os that doesn't delete or corrupt my files while updating, need to be reinstalled every 6-12 months due to slowdowns, come with preinstalled bloatware and data tracking software, or hold a gun to my head to try and get me to use edge by basically making it uninstallable.

I should say that it's not the worst, by far, it could be alot worse, but it's still completely insane.

https://github.com/Sycnex/Windows10Debloater

GG.