I need help deciding if I should change anything on this list.

Budget (including currency): $1800

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: VR games 3D modeling FPS games

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): I already have a 2070 SUPER 

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NWGx3Z

personally I would strongly recommend switching to AMD processors. unless you have a specific application that runs better on intel, AMD is faster in almost everything currently. plus you can save money because AMD is also cheaper, running cooler, using less power and having a good upgrade path. 

optionally get a slightly better psu (more wattage). 

Edited by TheBean

6 minutes ago, Beau Barrosse said:

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: VR games 3D modeling FPS games

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): I already have a 2070 SUPER 

I'd get CL16 memory, lower cas-latency is better.

Just now, Cool_Evlo said:

I'd get CL16 memory, lower cas-latency is better.

if you stay with intel processors, the latency does not matter that much but if you switch to AMD then yes latency matters. However, given that it's already 32gb of 3600mhz, the faster latency is not going to make much difference even with AMD. 

The PSU is not enough for an intel i9 and an rtx, you should get at least 750w I'd say, just in case, it will also be better for future. 850w and up would be perfect

CL16 memory as mentioned is also recommended.

And as first said ryzen is not faster for everything, so far intel is better for gaming ryzen overall, for workload and gaming. But for pure gaming intel is mostly better with a par cpu

12 minutes ago, Beau Barrosse said:

I recommend something along the lines of this, perhaps. If you wanted, you could also sell (scalp?) your 2070S and survive on a crappy gpu or an igpu, then later on get (most likely) some 3080.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/YPBJrr

Ram could be overkill, if it is just don't purchase one kit. Fairly compact build, should have great performance. You should easily have everything you need, however you may need more storage, in which case you might want to get a single nvme (poissbly in a 1tb config), and you might want to purchase hard drives instead. Its a fairly handsome build if you ask me, not much rgb but what little is has is pretty well done. Essentially the build isn't spending money on RGB. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

Just now, Lotinsh said:

The PSU is not enough for an intel i9 and an rtx, you should get at least 750w I'd say, just in case, it will also be better for future

The PSU would be perfectly fine. People seem overestimate how much power their components are going to draw these days... The power supply is fairly crappy anyways, but the build would function fine with the provided power supply. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Just now, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Ram could be overkill, if it is just don't purchase one kit. Fairly compact build, should have great performance. You should easily have everything you need, however you may need more storage, in which case you might want to get a single nvme (poissbly in a 1tb config), and you might want to purchase hard drives instead. 

Are you kidding me? The guy has 1tb ssd and a 10tb hdd? wtf

Just now, Brok3n But who cares? said:

The PSU would be perfectly fine. People seem overestimate how much power their components are going to draw these days... The power supply is fairly crappy anyways, but the build would function fine with the provided power supply. 

NOT THE CASE, intel 11th gen uses a lot of power, it's very power consuming and for future gpu you would need way more, even linus says so

14 minutes ago, Beau Barrosse said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Hw4hHz

5 minutes ago, Lotinsh said:

NOT THE CASE, intel 11th gen uses a lot of power, it's very power consuming and for future gpu you would need way more,

The 2070S has a TDP of 215w, it wont really exceed that. Being *extremely* generous, that means the rest of the system (lets presume the GPU will suck up more power as well) will consume an additional 85w of power (which is ridiculous). Even then, the CPU has an additional 350w of power to consume on its lonesome, nearly 3x its rated TDP. 

6 minutes ago, Lotinsh said:

Are you kidding me? The guy has 1tb ssd and a 10tb hdd? wtf

what? Did OP specify how much storage they needed?

1 minute ago, Cool_Evlo said:

Make the psu revolution df and agreed, maybe 5900x if op has the budget

Big nerd. 

PCPartPicker List Link

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 1400, Deepcool Gammaxx 400 V2 Blue, Biostar B450MH, Timetec 2x8GB 3200MHz CL16, Adata SU650 240GB, WD Blue 250GB 7200RPM, Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM, MSI Aero GTX 1060 3GB, Cougar MG130G, Segotep 750W Fully Modular 80+ Gold, HP 22EB, Samsung S22E450D, Sceptre E205-W, Gamakay LK67 with Gat Reds and HK Gaming Chalk keycaps, Logitech G305 Lightspeed, Shure MV7, Gertisan Mic Arm, OneOdio Headphones, CM SickleFlow Blue Fan, Iceberg Thermal IceGALE 140MM Teal x2, Cougar case fan

Rack Project (Build log link)

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Cool_Evlo said:

5800x is the worst value chip in the entire stack, at 400 it still isn't really worth it. Worse thermals than the 5900x last time I checked (or similar thermals), and it has nearly the worst core-per-dollar ratio in the entire 5000 series lineup. Wasting money on the cooler, fans, and rgb ram. Okay list if OP wants to spend money on RGB bling. 

@Brok3n But who cares?First of all, other parts use power too, second of all, op has listed THE FUCKING LIST OF PARTS HE WANTS TO BUY and the storage is mentioned in there, are you blind?

You can even use google, for intel 11th gen i9 minimum recommended is 750w 

1 minute ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

5800x is the worst value chip in the entire stack, at 400 it still isn't really worth it. Worse thermals than the 5900x last time I checked (or similar thermals), and it has nearly the worst core-per-dollar ratio in the entire 5000 series lineup. Wasting money on the cooler, fans, and rgb ram. Okay list if OP wants to spend money on RGB bling. 

When I do PPP lists like that I keep RGB because if someone has it in their first list they obviously want it.

10 minutes ago, Lotinsh said:

First of all, other parts use power too

Ram, motherboard, fans, and storage take up next to nothing. 85w allotted to them (did you miss it?) is clearly more than enough. Don't forget I recommended a 850w. I'm only pointing out that a 650w would work fine. 

second of all, op has listed THE FUCKING LIST OF PARTS HE WANTS TO BUY

He... Still didnt specify how much storage he needed? I clearly stated that he could change the nvmes to hard drives and only keep a singel 1tb/2tb drive, saving $200-$300 for hard drives. 

and the storage is mentioned in there, are you blind?

My view of the page. Where does he state how much storage he needs?

That... doesn't change much? Manufacturers are commonly known for overshooting on power supply recommendations, because they have no idea what their product is going to be used with.

Screenshot (1262).png

1 minute ago, Cool_Evlo said:

When I do PPP lists like that I keep RGB because if someone has it in their first list they obviously want it.

Shrug, I'd rather tell op that it doesn't really contribute to performance or I'd ask them if they really want RGB. Fair enough, though.

@Brok3n But who cares? Ok, for the storage I missunderstood what you meant, but for the power a minimum of 750w is RECOMMENDED if paired with a high end gpu, which will aslo add future proofing to op, 650w is not enough for 3080 or 3090, maybe he can get scots free with the 650w psu, but if he wants to upgrade on future, then no, it will not be enough, also, better safe than sorry. NVIDIA itself recommended a 750w psu for latest gen cards (3080 and up) So as I said, futureproofing should be accounted. While you can get away with a lower psu, it's recommended not to get it too high, for instance it is not good when a psu has no room just in case, so more room for it to do stuff is recommended. you can go on nvidia's website if you don't believe me, and that cpu eats a lot of power too, also you didn't take in overclocking, op didn't mention this, but if he wants to overclock, he will need a better psu. 

8 minutes ago, Lotinsh said:

@Brok3n But who cares? Ok, for the storage I missunderstood what you meant, but for the power a minimum of 750w is RECOMMENDED if paired with a high end gpu, which will aslo add future proofing to op, 650w is not enough for 3080 or 3090, maybe he can get scots free with the 650w psu, but if he wants to upgrade on future, then no, it will not be enough, also, better safe than sorry. NVIDIA itself recommended a 750w psu for latest gen cards (3080 and up) So as I said, futureproofing should be accounted. While you can get away with a lower psu, it's recommended not to get it too high, for instance it is not good when a psu has no room just in case, so more room for it to do stuff is recommended. you can go on nvidia's website if you don't believe me, and that cpu eats a lot of power too, also you didn't take in overclocking, op didn't mention this, but if he wants to overclock, he will need a better psu. 

My points are aimed solely at disproving your statement of  "it wont work." Besides saying "futureproofing (Something that you probably shouldn't say in this regard, usually)," Yes, that's true, however, recommendations dont tell the whole story (Manufacturers will have a recommended power supply wattage, but that accounts for many different situations, so they'll always be conservative with their recommendations).  On the side, Even with a 3080 there's a good chance it'll work fine, and possibly a 3080ti/3090 if it's undervolted. Seriously. Don't beileve me? 600W SFX Power Supplies vs. RTX 3080 – Surprising Results 

While I agree with your statement, yes, the pc will work, but there are many limitations if you buy that psu. also read the first comment on that video, a guy with 600w didn't have enough power, so is it really a good option? Also why shouldn't I be talking about futureproofing? Gpu's seem to go only up and up in their power required so far.

4 minutes ago, Lotinsh said:

While I agree with your statement, yes, the pc will work, but there are many limitations if you buy that psu. also read the first comment on that video, a guy with 600w didn't have enough power, so is it really a good option? Also why shouldn't I be talking about futureproofing? Gpu's seem to go only up and up in their power required so far.

Quick note, I recently updated my comment.

"Futureproofing" Is generally regard as a misnomer in this space due to how vague it is (In nature and in definition). For example, In 20 years, It's more than likely that any power supply today will be woefully inadequate for that time's equivalent consumer electronics.

If the power supply works is unknown, It'll depend on how well it handles the transient spikes. Again, I'm just highlighting that it's possible, I don't actually recommend it, lol.

26 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Shrug, I'd rather tell op that it doesn't really contribute to performance or I'd ask them if they really want RGB. Fair enough, though.

For my personal builds I would ONLY do RGB if it wont make me need lower end components.

31 minutes ago, Lotinsh said:

@Brok3n But who cares?First of all, other parts use power too, second of all, op has listed THE FUCKING LIST OF PARTS HE WANTS TO BUY and the storage is mentioned in there, are you blind?

Dude calm down, this isn't a COD Xbox Live game.

You dont have to go on a screaming fit because someone misread something...

@Cool_EvloSorry, I have a really short temper, but I didn't '"scream with caps'' that was more meant to higlight. I should see my therapist at some point. my apologies for boing angry to @Brok3n But who cares? But still, my point stands that I'd recommend a better psu.

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 3D modeling FPS games VR games

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): I already own a 2070 SUPER

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/94bzDc