What if your mail have i been pwned?

Go to solution Solved by hotprosss,
16 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

-> Moved to Programs, Apps and Websites

IIRC the site allows you to search with passwords. The level of breaches varies. Some only give out emails and usernames while passwords are still encrypted. So just having email breached means you will get more spam and failed login attempts, but not necessarily anything more than that.

If you do find ANY password with that site, which all sites using that password.

In perfect world you would not use same password on multiple sites. In perfect world there wouldn't be hackers either.

Thanks for the information and I have found a protection for my phone Avira is cheap and have all protection for me. I think I will delete the 3 account with breach because some are really old. For my password I think I will take the weekend to change every single one. I will restore my phone after that just to be sure, all people think hacker will take your data when you go on a Shaddy illegal site but it's the legal on you need to care about.

Email will be remplace by something else someday.

Hello I found this site https://haveibeenpwned.com/

This morning and enter my email address and I have been pwned, Adobe Reader, forums, etc ...

What does it exactly mean ? 

What should I do ? 

Try it yourself and answer my questions if you can.

Have a nice day.

Right so usually in breaches both your email and password will get released.

Meaning that if your email was released you should update all the passwords assosiated with that email and update the password for the email account itself.

On the odd chance that only your email was released then just keep a closer eye on any emails that may be phishing.

Do you happen to know the breach your email was contained in?

8 minutes ago, hotprosss said:

Hello I found this site https://haveibeenpwned.com/

This morning and enter my email address and I have been pwned, Adobe Reader, forums, etc ...

What does it exactly mean ? 

What should I do ? 

Try it yourself and answer my questions if you can.

Have a nice day.

It means that you registered on that website using your email address and that email address along with password used on that website (either clear text password or a hash which would allow someone to guess your password on that website after some amount of work) were leaked... people on the internet may have the information. 

So if you use the same password to log into that website as the password to connect to your email account, it's in your best interest to change your password as soon as possible.

They will also use that email address and password with bots to see if you used same email and password on other websites and steal account on those websites if they can.

Otherwise, people may steal your email address and use it for bad things... and from there, use it to access other accounts. 

It means that most likely your account and associated password(s) were part of a hack and are now available somewhere on the Internet. Other people can now potentially access these accounts, either to buy goods with your money or impersonate you and/or attempt to gain access to further accounts.

As @TimonJS said, change the password(s) of your online accounts. If you receive emails about password reset attempts or similar, make sure you requested that password change and ignore it otherwise.

What to do if you've been pwned

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

change your password on any account that shares the same password as your email.

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

your accounts have been compromised. You need to take your computer and phone into the back yard, douse them in fuel, and burn them. Then stay off the internet for 10 years.

Seriously I have an account on this and the worst i had was spam emails claiming to have hacked my web cam and social media accounts. They say they have pictures of me watching pron and will send these images to my mates if i dont pay bitcoin. I know its BS coz I dont have a webcam and I dont watch pron, and i dont have much in the way of social media accounts. Funny thing is my mates would not be surprised if i sent them nudes.

Thanks for all the useful support, I got a lot of fishing mail, there is a way to counter that fishing on my email address without delete those ?

I have Gmail and Hotmail.

Can my phone being hack ? All accounts are in my smartphone. I want it to be safe to use. I have tunnelbear 🐻 but is it enough ?

3 hours ago, hotprosss said:

Thanks for all the useful support, I got a lot of fishing mail, there is a way to counter that fishing on my email address without delete those ?

I have Gmail and Hotmail.

No, when an email is out there, you can't do anything about it, it's being shared on spam lists.

You can always change your security settings to see if it helps.

Can my phone being hack ? All accounts are in my smartphone.

??????

How would they hack your phone ? Do you not know how emails work ?

To hack a phone, you need physical or remote access, someone having your email password won't compromise your phone ... just like someone having your mailbox key won't mean they can enter your house.

I want it to be safe to use. I have tunnelbear 🐻 but is it enough ?

🤦‍♂️

PLEASE, for the love of God, stop believing bullshit VPN marketing that's beaing spread on YouTube ; a VPN won't stop hackers, that's a lie VPN providers are spreading.

As others have said ;

- change the password for the compromised account you've seen on the website,

- change your email password if necessary,

- change your password for any account that shares the same password.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

IIRC the site allows you to search with passwords. The level of breaches varies. Some only give out emails and usernames while passwords are still encrypted. So just having email breached means you will get more spam and failed login attempts, but not necessarily anything more than that.

If you do find ANY password with that site, which all sites using that password.

In perfect world you would not use same password on multiple sites. In perfect world there wouldn't be hackers either.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

16 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Thanks for the information and I have found a protection for my phone Avira is cheap and have all protection for me. I think I will delete the 3 account with breach because some are really old. For my password I think I will take the weekend to change every single one. I will restore my phone after that just to be sure, all people think hacker will take your data when you go on a Shaddy illegal site but it's the legal on you need to care about.

2 minutes ago, hotprosss said:

Avira is not gonna help you against losing data in breaches. Its only there to prevent direct attacks to your device, like downloading/executing malicious apps, ads, links and so on.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Just now, LogicalDrm said:

Avira is not gonna help you against losing data in breaches. Its only there to prevent direct attacks to your device, like downloading/executing malicious apps, ads, links and so on.

Yeah I know that but is VPN is automatically start and u can use game with VPN they have the same service to see if you have a mail pwned. If you know something better to secure my phone do tell me. I was being careful, Adobe Reader is not a malicious app and you need it to open .pdf. 

A smart phone with no app fell not smart but maybe "this is the way".

11 minutes ago, hotprosss said:

Yeah I know that but is VPN is automatically start and u can use game with VPN they have the same service to see if you have a mail pwned. If you know something better to secure my phone do tell me. I was being careful, Adobe Reader is not a malicious app and you need it to open .pdf. 

A smart phone with no app fell not smart but maybe "this is the way".

VPN will not help either. VPNs purpose is to hide your IP and encrypt data sent so it can't be read by ISP.

As for apps, password manager is good start. You want to have different, strong password on at least the most important services. Like your email provider, your ISP/carrier service and anything which could lead to identity theft or losing more personal data. Other than that, being aware overall is good thing.

Data breaches happen on service provider side. With having different passwords, losing email and password in one breach won't effect your access to other services. What info you put into your profile in service is another. For example the Facebook breach that has been in news lately. All data got was user inputs. Stuff you had on your profile. For this exact reason i don't have my phone number anywhere unless its forced by service.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

38 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

VPN will not help either. VPNs purpose is to hide your IP and encrypt data sent so it can't be read by ISP.

As for apps, password manager is good start. You want to have different, strong password on at least the most important services. Like your email provider, your ISP/carrier service and anything which could lead to identity theft or losing more personal data. Other than that, being aware overall is good thing.

Data breaches happen on service provider side. With having different passwords, losing email and password in one breach won't effect your access to other services. What info you put into your profile in service is another. For example the Facebook breach that has been in news lately. All data got was user inputs. Stuff you had on your profile. For this exact reason i don't have my phone number anywhere unless its forced by service.

For password manager I suggest a an unuse email on Google mail with max security, because it is free.

You never use it to something else than password manager and you don't log with it anywhere.

My account for games was save because of that I give only for games so it was safe. And now I go back to old school paper.

You need to note your password somewhere if you loose the main password it can be so frustrating and you can loose money... 

I have paid for a password manager 3 years ago they got hack I lost all my password. And if you forget to pay you got problems too, so free password manager or just good old paper.

For security I don't really know how to be safe because sometimes to trust a company is even worst than the potential hacker. Planet earth is a madhouse. Have a nice day!