Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

You've shown a lot of water cooling on the channel but have never really done a step-by-step guide for people. Any chance you could build a PC from scratch showing people how to cut everything and mount everything for 1st time water cooler PC builders? What to buy as well, fittings, tubing, etc

On 3/20/2019 at 5:19 PM, Slottr said:

Been looking at home security recently and stumbled upon the Wyze cam, I'd be interested in seeing something about that

Budget home security or something along those lines

the caching issue leaking cam feeds go brrr

What if you make a competition where you go into some tech store, buy a bunch of stuff, and then have random subscriber contestants build an entire gaming setup only out of those items. The best setup wins and whoever has the best setup gets to keep the setup.

DIY Open Homelab VS Corp Ecosystems from a cost and _time_ point of view.

If someone wants a great network and a few services (backup, media server, VPN, etc) what is the time and dollar difference over a long term review.

What is the dollar and time cost to setup a low cost home network with cheap and open solutions, vs investing in solutions like Unifi and Synology?

Hey Folks.

I have a suggestion for a video. I stumbled across a BC youtuber/manufacturer that is making electric logging trucks in Merritt  BC. They also are making a hybrid kit for Pickup trucks. I think it would be an interesting video if you sent someone to check them out. Particularly  Alex, because the owner/host has that same rural accent and looks a lot like him. I think it would be amusing to listen to to them talk. https://youtube.com/@EdisonMotors?si=2_sep9cFxKYyWpBi

I could use a in depth guide for home networking. sortof like the ultimate guide on how to build a pc, but for networking.

I will get my first house soon and 1 of the things that i will be doing from scratch is setting up internet in the whole house, so everything from switches, router, wifi, ethernet, video surveillance.
So having 1 video that could explain the basics up to more advanced home networking (like v-lan's or switch aggreration) with some example product showcases (nice in for sponsors like ubiquity) would be very nice from my go-to tech tips people.

You could divide it in difficulties or budgets like:
basic wifi and ethernet under 100$,
aster network with 2.5gbit and some wifi repeaters for 250-500$,
10gbit on a budget for 500 - 1000$,
Advanced for tinkerers 1000$+

Nintendo Entertainment System Desktop Build

Desktop hardware in an NES shell with back plate IO under the cartridge lid, USB ports where the controller ports would normally be, Mic and Speaker out where the AV jacks used to be,the NES themed Keyboard (https://www.8bitdo.com/retro-mechanical-keyboard/) and Mouse (https://www.8bitdo.com/n30-wireless-mouse/) from 8BitDo, official retro Nintendo CRT with 2 NES themed Speaker cubes (https://www.8bitdo.com/cube-speaker/) from 8bitdo for stereo speakers

So have video idea because been deal with for while so know do full build computer warranty support when think guy need do one for video card company in Canada I been deal with asus for over 4 week tell u replacement email back if this ok take new one send email back and nothing for over week and I still have no email back so maybe may good put eye on this man wish evga was still around never like this 

5 hours ago, Swatsonic said:

So have video idea because been deal with for while so know do full build computer warranty support when think guy need do one for video card company in Canada I been deal with asus for over 4 week tell u replacement email back if this ok take new one send email back and nothing for over week and I still have no email back so maybe may good put eye on this man wish evga was still around never like this 

I'm guessing this should be in the 'sponsor complaints' thread...? Do you have some issues with Asus?

Hey folks,

just saw a bad ass cheap mini display conected via usb on Aliexpress. The Software seems to be a little bit worrying, reminding me of those really cheap chinese streaming devices you made a video of. Maybe you know a product of good grade and could compare the chinese version with the high quality one or tell your impressions. Many thanks in advance =)

Screenshot2023-12-19232741.thumb.png.c87cf5f7e410b95b0b835606cfb20e13.png

Inspired by this comment, it may be interesting in doing a deep dive into Bluetooth and figuring out why it still sucks on Windows, but is seemingly great on virtually every other platform.

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

Create a video showcasing a compact, entry-level homelab/VPN router with low energy consumption (sub 50W), costing under $200. which route would make more sense a DIY project, grabbing a refurbished/used thin client and transforming it into a router, or the Chinese boxes available on AliExpress or Alibaba? something like this with N100 proccesor and i226 NICs

Title: "Tech Masterpiece Showdown" - A Game Show Idea for the LTT Community

Hello LTT Forums!

I've been brainstorming a fun and engaging concept for a game show that I think would be a fantastic addition to our community. Inspired by the format of "Nailed It!", I present to you the "Tech Masterpiece Showdown".

The Concept:

• Contestants: 4 tech enthusiasts (a mix of amateurs and experts) compete in each episode.
  • The Challenge: Each contestant is given a theme (e.g., gaming setup, minimalist design, retro tech) and has just 1 hour to build a computer system that best represents that theme.
  • The Arena: A shop filled with a variety of tech parts, ranging from basic components to high-end gear, allowing for maximum creativity and diversity in the builds.

Judging Criteria:

• Aesthetics: How visually stunning is the build?
  • Functionality: Does the build perform as expected?
  • Innovation: Creativity and originality of the build.
  • Theme Adherence: How well does the build capture the given theme?
  • Efficiency: Effective use of time and resources.

The Judges: A panel including tech experts, popular tech YouTubers, and a rotating guest judge from the LTT team.

Prizes: Winners could receive tech gadgets, or perhaps an opportunity to feature in an LTT video!

Viewer Engagement: Let's involve the community! Viewers could vote for their favorite builds or suggest themes for upcoming episodes.

Educational Twist: Each episode includes quick, informative segments explaining various tech components or building techniques, adding an educational flavor to the fun.

Production Quality: High-quality filming, engaging commentary, and dynamic editing will ensure the show is as entertaining to watch as it is to compete in.

I believe this show could not only entertain but also inspire and educate viewers about the world of tech. It's a celebration of creativity, skill, and passion for technology. I'd love to hear your thoughts, feedback, or suggestions to make this idea even better!

Thank you for considering my suggestion!

Hi, I would like to suggest a video on AMD's AM5 hybrid graphics feature. Introduced with AMD's 7000 series, you can use dedicated graphics alongside the integrated GPU, kind of like hybrid graphics a la Nvidia Optimus. I think most people don't even know that this feature exists, and there is precious little information about this feature online. How do you enable this? What is the performance impact of doing this? Does G-sync work when you plug your monitor into the motherboard? Is this even necessary or beneficial for desktops? I think such a video fits LTT's theme, and LTT's platform and technical rigour will greatly value add to public knowledge about this feature and whether one should use it. There is one paragraph about the feature here (second to last paragraph) that is pretty much all I could find about this feature. Thanks for your consideration.

I saw this video on tiktok and it sparked the idea of building a PC with no fans. The pc itself would spin and that would maybe give enough airflow through a rad or heat sink? I'm not sure if it would even work and if it did it would be impractical and probably loud af but it would be hilarious. Hope you like the idea 🙂

link to video I saw on tiktok: https://vm.tiktok.com/ZM6BHTVyw/

More retro stuff honestly, maybe collab with the bigger retro youtubers? LGR?

On 3/20/2019 at 9:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

How about a video on different driverless car tech? 

image.jpeg.d5698d818c6a35f1dcf479cbc47107b5.jpeg

I’ve been trying to claim the bounty for a near 17 year old Gaming PC case after submitting it for a video idea where it’s gimmick is built in Air conditioning. Was doing my “remembered I was looking for it” Google/ebay searches and I found this company selling Air Conditioned cases but for a different use case. I think it could be a fun video to delve into the why these exist, their normal use case, and then of course the “we’re gonna game on it” and play Doom. 

https://sierracases.com/air-conditioned-cases/

Hi,

There is an Pc enthusiat trend in Brazil which is on how to get the most out of yourk bucks.

With that in mind, people are buying from Aliexpress some repurposed hardware (such RTX3060M chip in a PCI-e 16x slot board and reconditioned x99 processors with new x-99 motherboards using refurbished chipsets) and they've been getting great performance results.

The modding eveng goes as deep as changing the BIOS for those motherboards to unlock turbo-boost on all cores for those Xeon monsters.

I know there are some drawbacks (such as win11 not beeing compatible), but I am sure thats just the tip of the iceberg.

I'd really love to see LTT take on this matter.

Bellow are some samples links of the hardware I'm talking about.

JIESHUO-RTX 3060M Gaming Graphics Card, Chip de Notebook, GPU GDDR6X, Desktop de computador, Vídeo, Escritório, Mineração, 30 Series - AliExpress

Kllisre-X99 Kit de Placa-Mãe, Xeon E5, 2650, CPU V4, 2 Unidades X 8GB = 16GB, 2666MHz, Memória DDR4, LGA 2011-3 - AliExpress

LMG Team,

Long time watcher, first time forum poster. 🙂 I recently started working with an emersion cooling product made by Submer in a US gov datacenter. It's currently being used for a few servers as a testbed, but so far has shown great promise. As I've worked with the product over the past few months, I'm continually reminded of the often crazy cooling videos your team has cooked up over the years. It would be a neat video to see you folks pushing a Submer's product to the max for gaming, networking....or dare I say, Linus cooling some of his home server rack gear...instead of via his pool.

https://submer.com/micropod/

Can you show my case to the world for very very poor hp customer service,

here is the series of events :

i purchased hp envy x360 in nov 2021 with extended warranty, so it is still under warranty

on 15 nov 2023 there was a bulge in screen, i searched on google, it was a manufacturing defect with this particular hp model,

i created a case with hp support, 2 days later there was a technician visit, he ordered hinges, a few days later the parts arrived, there was technician visit and while replacing the hinges he cracked the screen, he also cracked the chassis of laptop, he made up a story with hp that the screen didnt turn on after replacing the hinges and ordered a new screen, nearly a week later another technician visited with replacenemt screen and did something very suspicious, he was changing stickers on old and new part, anyways he replaced the screen and the screen did not turn on, he ordered more parts. few days later new parts arrived and there was a technician visit he replaced the new parts and the screen did not display anything, again he ordered some parts, and more than a week later on 27 december 2023 he returned with parts, replaced the parts and yet the screen didnt display anything. the technician says he doesnt know what is the problem with laptop.

it has been 5 technician visits till now

there were few more suspicious events between these technician visits

parts took very long time to arrive service center

i received an email on 6 december 2023 with a pdf attachment, stating "case closed b customer along with forged customer signature"

i have called more than 10 times on hp call support and still i didnt get any resolution.

it has been nearly one and a half month and now i want a new laptop from hp as the old one is disfigured and all internal screws and tapes have been reapplied multiple times, also there is a crack on the chassis.

i hope a video from linus tech tips might help me  and others too from bad service experience.

My optician explained that my nearsightedness is getting worse because of eyestrain and ideally, I should look 20 feet in the distance away from my screen for 20 seconds every 20 minutes.

So I've been fantasizing about ways to move my screen 20 feet away from my face in a room that's less than that.

Make a video about extreme solutions for solving eyestrain;

- the regular solution of setting up a monitor 20 feet away to demo how realistic this is.

- a (series of) mirror(s) to extend the distance. should the mirror enlarge the image?

- the same, but for children sitting too close to the TV.

I work for a construction company as the IT Admin and have recently been tasked with researching some rugged panel PCs. I wonder if LTT would be interested in taking a look at some rugged panel PCs that are designed for industrial uses. For our case it would be used in our shop where dust/oil/water and other substances are prevalent. 

I'm curious what Linus thinks about these types of computers. 

Rugged Science is one company that makes them. 

Noax Technologies is another. 

4 teams of 2 LTT personalities find themselves stranded on an island. The only way they can escape is by building a computer to contact the outside world, but the only way you can build a computer is by visiting all five computer trees on the island, the CPU cypress, motherboard maple, RAM redwood, PSU palm, and GPU gum trees (hey. If you're gonna be stuck on an island you might wanna game a bit while you're waiting to be rescued). Once a contestant gets to a tree, there could be a physical challenge like climbing or digging to get the components. Once a team has all their components, they head to test bench beach, where they assemble their computer install windows, connect to a very convenient Wi-Fi network, and contact their local boat dock or something. Along the journey, contestants can acquire items by answering tech related questions at little huts scattered in the woods. The contestants can choose the difficulty of the question, and the harder the question the better the item is. So you can answer a hard question and get a nice deli sub or answer an easy question and get 5 cold pizza rolls or something. Is this a video you guys would like to watch? Do you think it could even be possible for them to make a video like this?