Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

Traditional PC vs Wall Mounted PC using the same parts and comparing the thermals

A dive into Coil whine, to see if there is any patterns in where it occures. If it is totally random, or if certain brands, or types of components have special tendencies.

Like if fanless PSUs are more to have it? Or if it is higher power components ect.

mITX is awesome! I regret nothing (apart from when picking parts or have to do maintainance *cough*cough*)

So I had a catastrophic house fire where all of my possessions were destroyed.

I sent my tech out for cleaning,( bad idea it wasn't worth the money), but I have a whole box of fire damaged motherboard, CPU, ram. Several servers etc. Would LTT like to do a rescue the fire damaged parts?

I had this vision of Linus Collabing with Cleatus McFarland and I honestly think it would be so perfect. Cleat has 3.4 mill youtube subs and does videos of him buying crazy expensive toys and upgrading them till they’re insane. His video quality, editing platform, and streaming methods could use big help from a Linus upgrade video. Then he could make a video on his channel of him torturing Linus in some insane drag cars

20 hours ago, ColinJ451 said:

No threadripper video released today? I can't quite believe it tbh, it's Linus doesn't care about HEDT anymore 🥹

LTT also didn't really do an Intel 14th Gen video (except for the Cities: Skylines 2 promo), I think they just realized they can't compete in tech videos with the big channels like Gamers Nexus and Hardware Unboxed, so LTT does quirky stuff for entertainment that's more interesting to their target audience of middle schoolers that fall for stupid clickbait anyway. Just look at all the stuff that is being requested here, people would rather see Linus do stupid things than educate people on sensible buying decisions. 

38 minutes ago, Alvin853 said:

LTT also didn't really do an Intel 14th Gen video (except for the Cities: Skylines 2 promo), I think they just realized they can't compete in tech videos with the big channels like Gamers Nexus and Hardware Unboxed, so LTT does quirky stuff for entertainment that's more interesting to their target audience of middle schoolers that fall for stupid clickbait anyway. Just look at all the stuff that is being requested here, people would rather see Linus do stupid things than educate people on sensible buying decisions. 

Ya but Linus can out source the dryer videos giving consumer education to his other video hosts he employs without sacrificing the quality of the video. Linus is the only one that can do bigger more exciting videos that takes advantage of his showmanship

13 minutes ago, Adamp02 said:

Ya but Linus can out source the dryer videos giving consumer education to his other video hosts he employs without sacrificing the quality of the video. Linus is the only one that can do bigger more exciting videos that takes advantage of his showmanship

But every main channel video has to be hosted by Linus, that's a requirement at LTT.

Maybe LMG should start an additional channel just for technical reviews hosted by people that are familiar with the hardware being tested. Linus can't possibly know everything, and all the errors in the past have shown that he just isn't up to the task of hosting videos like that (which is probably why LTT stopped doing these videos). Let Linus do the fun stuff on the main channel, and let pros do reviews on a separate channel

8 minutes ago, Alvin853 said:

But every main channel video has to be hosted by Linus, that's a requirement at LTT.

Maybe LMG should start an additional channel just for technical reviews hosted by people that are familiar with the hardware being tested. Linus can't possibly know everything, and all the errors in the past have shown that he just isn't up to the task of hosting videos like that (which is probably why LTT stopped doing these videos). Let Linus do the fun stuff on the main channel, and let pros do reviews on a separate channel

The scripts and research come from people other than slings either way. They have all in-house writers and techs. I think the mistakes and imperfections are funny. All humans make mistakes and you know the script isn’t getting dissected and edited by a massive correlation. Makes the whole thing organic which I like. 

Hi All 

I think this would be a good video idea 

This dell device has 2 motherboards connected together to have 2 cpus  running on 1 motherboard.

now ive seen dual cpu motherboards before but with this PC this isnt the case this has 1 motherboard with ram and cpu with a connector connecting to a secondary motheboard with a cpu and ram and windows decets the cpu as 1 with all cores and threads  came across this at work and knew it would blow linus's mind  

specs Dual Intel® Xeon® Gold 6238R (38.5 MB cache, 28 cores, 56 threads, 2.20 GHz to 4.00 GHz Turbo, 165W)

Precision 7820 Tower

Hello everyone,
I have an idea that might be really interesting. Since Linus often makes videos in the server area and compares the CPU's with each other, but sometimes doesn't find comparable CPU's, I recently came across the server CPU's from Ampere. Like the Ampere Altra Max for example. You could compare whether 64 physical cores and hyperthreading can compete or even beat a CPU with 128 physical cores and no hyperthreading and whether physical cores or a combination of physical and virtual makes a difference. To notice this would be more interesting in the creative area because the Ampere Altra is a ARM based CPU and Windows ARM isn't supported to this day. Ubuntu and Debian are the Operating Systems for Ampere.

How about a custom (DIY) laptop cooler? With the LTT team, you could build a better laptop cooler with software that can control fans and dust protectors. It's a better product than one that exits. 

CAD GPU Redux updated to present day

Lots of engineers and prospective engineers would watch it.

I wasnt sure which would be the best method to go about it, but i wanted to know if LTT would be interested in doing a video on a unique piece of modded hardware.

I have a asus rog ally that had been I have physically upgraded with 32gb of lpddr5x 7500mhz and edited the bios to support it over its stock 16gb lpddr5 6400mhz and thought it might a fun video to benchmark the difference ( as it give like a 10-20% boost) and it is capable of reverting back to 16gb 6400mhz with an unmodified bios so makes it easy to do a before and after without changing to a different unit.

So yeah just wondering if you guys would be interested as I happy to lend it

however I amm in australia... but dont mind shipping it

It also has been modded with a 90wh battery and has a custom 3d printed backplate to fit it, but not sure how that would go shipping :D

20231106_195625.jpg

image.jpg

20231110_091312.jpg

20231110_091322.jpg

Microsoft is trying to include pairing its windows 11 OS with iPhone through Phone Link.

I am pretty sure there are many out there who just like me prefer to use an iphone instead of an Android device but use a "normal" PC as a computer.
There are both security and functionality issues that make me not wanting to try this myself so I figured that maybe labs could take a look at this?
There is also the whole sidelmoading possibility coming to EU (maybe other countries in the future?) that could potentially make phone link work better (...or worse since its MS behind it) in the future.

So what do you think guys? Worth taking a look and talk about it?
An Apple for windows? 🙂

Sincerly,

Danijel

Do you mean like this?

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Can you do a comparison video of a PS5 vs Xbox series X vs a similarly priced new PC?

Topton / AOOSTAR R1 NAS review. 

It's barebones kit for a NAS that doesn't look like a server.

• Intel N100
  • up to 32GB DDR4
  • 2x 3.5"
  • 1x M.2 2280
  • 2x 2.5G LAN

Links:

Topton NAS R1 PRO | AliExpress

AOOSTAR R1 | AOOSTAR

AOOSTAR R1 | liliputing

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | AsRock B450M-Pro4 | Zotac GTX 3070 Ti

Shure SRH840A | Sennheiser Momentum 2 AEBT | LG C9 55"

All GameStop (RIP EBGames) Setup

GameStop Canada now carries some NVMe SSDs. Took one apart already and it looks like a DRAMless model with a Maxio controller and Longsys NAND

They also have lots of RGB lighting, some blacklight strips, standard Logitech keyboards and mice, “Biogenik” (home-brand) headsets and controllers. Desktop speakers, mouse pads. Floating RGB glass shelves, even a Biogenik rebrand of the Ender 5 Pro and its filaments. 

I can only imagine the headphones and controllers are horrible, but the SSDs might be decent and the lighting seems alright. 

Also they’re getting RCA and Component to HDMI adapters later in March for the retro systems I guess.

After re-watching many of the "All (insert company here) PC" videos, I wondered if LTT is ever planning to release an all NZXT gaming setup video. Although it's not the most interesting idea, the general aesthetic of NZXT products have this high-end, ultra-clean setup. Personally, I think it would be an entertaining video.

Please make a video on how to easily backup Windows 11 to a hard drive.

On Windows 11, if you type "Windows Backup" into the search bar, it only offers backing up with OneDrive, which is a paid cloud service.

I don't understand why this has to be such a difficult process. All I want to do is click a button, have all my files and programs saved to a hard drive, then be able to easily restore from that backup. 

22 hours ago, mononymous said:

Topton / AOOSTAR R1 NAS review. 

It's barebones kit for a NAS that doesn't look like a server.

• Intel N100
  • up to 32GB DDR4
  • 2x 3.5"
  • 1x M.2 2280
  • 2x 2.5G LAN

Links:

Topton NAS R1 PRO | AliExpress

AOOSTAR R1 | AOOSTAR

AOOSTAR R1 | liliputing

Since LTT is now being sponsored by UGREEN, will you be getting their NAS units?

Alder Lake NAS, UGREEN | Compterbase

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | AsRock B450M-Pro4 | Zotac GTX 3070 Ti

Shure SRH840A | Sennheiser Momentum 2 AEBT | LG C9 55"

It would be awesome LTT tests how much battery power is consuming the "seconds display" on the taskbar. As this has been disabled for windows 11 and finally they put it back with a claim on extra power comsuntion.

Some background: Microsoft took off the seconds on the time taskbar on windows 7, 8 and 10, claiming that it was affecting the performance of the computer and also consuming extra power, claims that looks ridiculous. People like me, that are operators and need to know time to the second for some operations, had a workaround. On Windows 10 and below it was possible to activate it via registry but this possibility dissapeared on windows 11, making to a lot of people like me, stay on windows 10.

However finally (big news) Microsoft listened to us and now it is possible (since june 2023) to activate the seconds on the taskbar, HOWEVER, it claims that the computer will suffer from performance and power consumption!! (it says it consumes more power). how much real is this claim!!?!?!? 

A little bit of more info: https://www.tomsguide.com/news/new-windows-11-update-lets-you-display-seconds-on-your-taskbar-clock-heres-how and many others.