Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

My idea is simple Have a Challenge group,  set up that the group can challenge thr LMG team so say if this gentlemens challenge is the top voted it is then passed over to them with an "I Dare You" .

*VIDEO IDEA*

on eBay, you can buy a brand new replacement motherboard for a gaming laptop for cheap. I was thinking, what is stopping you from buying one of these guys and slapping a desktop CPU and GPU cooler, and getting desktop performance for 1/4 of the price? I know you guys sub-zeroed that one Alienware laptop, but that wasn't really sustainable. this could be an option to give new pc gamers an entry point that gives them pretty decent performance. the listing I attached is an 11th gen i7 and a 3070 for $370. 

Thanks for reading!

Screenshot 2023-10-29 085855.png

On the WAN show on the 29th of October, Linus mentioned that he doesn't have a way to remotely turn on the PCs in the server rack from the game room.

Why not consider using HomeAssistant and ESPHome to address this issue? It should not be overly complicated, and it would make for an excellent addition to the house series.

Best regards,

Cisco

Linus home server room cooling

I recently switched my hour water tank to a heat pump hot water tank... Now as a side affect the room with my server rack gets "free" cooling.

Basically a normal hot water tank uses gas or electricity directly to heat the water. Which is really inefficient from an energy perspective.

A heat pump hot water tank is similar to an AC unit.

It sucks in the hot air, extracts the heat from the air and puts that into the water, and exhausts cool air.

So the electricity is not creating the heat, it is just transferring it. So it is about 3x more efficient...

Have thought about looped heat pipes many times. Would really like to see a video going over the differences between regular and looped heat pipes, how they work, and their benefits/drawbacks. 

Linus has kids about the same age as mine, and I can tell his wife and him are setting up guard rails to protect either gaming or online . My wife and I are trying to navigate the whole "gaming online" and safety for our kids. Could y'all do a video on how you setup for your family? 

What games and why?

Do you roll your own server?

Minimum requirements for those games to have a good gaming experience?

What ecosystems are good for your kids?

The unplugged phone would be an interesting price to look at. It's supposed to be a third party competitor to Google and Apple. First 500 launched in September 2023. They are a small company with the guy that created the Pegasus tool as their CTO. Supposedly their supply chain is completely China free and they have a messaging app that encrypts call, text, and video, end to end. So far what I have learned for a downside is it is proprietary. Their website is unplugged . Com

Saw some cool CT scan of an Apple Thunderbolt cable on Adam Savage's Tested YouTube channel.

Would be cool to see some scans of other tech!

Testing different budget store brand [usb-c] cables (Walmart, best buy, target, five below, etc) to see the best value

I'm wondering if any of you have heard of a website called jlcpcb.

https://jlcpcb.com/

From what I can see, you can have your own pcb custom printed. Now the question is, can you get a completely custom pc motherboard.

On 10/28/2023 at 12:56 AM, GoStormPlays said:

So I don’t know if they have these in Vancouver, but down in the south there’s all sorts of houses that go all out for Christmas. They add light after light, LED Walls, Controllable Signs. ETC. But what makes it cool is how they’re all synched to Christmas music! (Here’s a video if you haven’t seen these:

) I’ve seen that these are generally controlled by Arduinos and such, and I’d love to see a video where the team sets one of these up at Linus’ house! I think seeing how it’s all made would be absolutely sick.

Tom BetGeorge is a regular on the Christmas lighting communities.

xLights software, Falcon pixel controllers and a heap of WS281x pixels.

Here's my own show using the same tech:

The hobby has come a long way in the last 5 years. Many things can be bought pre-made.... it's sadly not much of a hobby now 😢.

I think most PC's RGB pixel strip and fans use 3-pin WS281x protocol pixels (I have no RGB on my PC and it's staying that way!!).

The Walmart pixel Christmas trees use WS2812B seed pixels (buy them by rolls of 1,000's for 5c/Pixel. My Christmas tree in that video is made of 2,560 of them & draws near 450w).

Linus did a social mega post on Govee seed pixel curtain lights a month ago. It's easy enough to make one yourself using an ESP32 running WLED or ESPixelStick software (free/open source) as the controller. The Falcon pixel controllers like Tom BetGeorge and I use are expensive but you need something reliable to be driving up to 32,000 pixels on one device. AdvaTek is also a great controller if you have more money to spend.

I have a couple of ideas.

I enjoy cheaper but still capable hardware more than expensive stuff and have a couple of ideas on that topic.

Firstly, you could have a contest to see who can put together the least expensive system (new or used or both) that can play a certain (modern) game or a selection of them at a particular level of settings and performance. There are quite a few ways to go about this so I think it would be interesting. It would also be helpful to people with tight budget constraints or who want the most bang for the buck.

Secondly, you could have a video where you put together complete new PCs (with discreet GPUs) at various price levels and compare them. See what exactly you get, in terms of performance and experience) for paying $1000 rather than $500, $1500 rather than $1000, etc. Also with highest bang for buck at each price range. Maybe also blind testing of the systems and guessing the price.

You could also have one where you try to put together the most power efficient system possible that still performs 60 fps at high settings with modern games and also that has strong upgrade paths. This as a counter to the ludicrous claims that the Mx Macs are good for the environment while PCs are bad. When the tightly integrated Macs have everything or almost everything soldered on and are, as such, destined to become E-waste way earlier than the equivalent PC.

Thanks for the entertaining and informative content. I think since Linus stepped down as CEO, it's been better than ever

Make a case where the outer shell is completely made up of custom watercooling pipes and make an inner shell that houses all the components.

I would love to see a revisit on that sketchy aliexpress chiller! You guys got so close! However I do have a little bit of useful information on how to control that chiller with the equipment you already have.

The chiller/control board is designed to work off of pressure readings and not temperature readings, the COP you guys set at max refers to cut out pressure, this means you guys created a setpoint that would never satisfy the controller, leaving the chiller to run indefinitely and not modulate temperature.

To fix this I would set the COP at 40 and then hold both buttons down to switch to CIP(cut in pressure) and set that at 58-60. This will keep your heat exchanger between 45F and 60F. Looking up a PT chart for R134a will give you the corresponding pressures to the temperature parameters you guys want to use. CIP is going to be the higher number since you want your compressor to start when the refrigerant gets too pressurized/hot and you want it to cutout before it hits the freezing point of water at that specific pressure.

Additionally the bigger range you can have between COP and CIP will reduce stress on your chiller from short cycling and inrush currents. From there it is just finding a volume flow rate that will give you the biggest heat exchange from the water to the refrigerant as moving water through the exchanger too fast will be inefficient and too slow will not transfer enough heat.

Hope this helps!!

Im hopefully looking forward to a followup video!!

maybe it would be a nice idea to do a network tour of the entire Linus media group (so all buildings how they are connected to each other) and also where there are access points, cameras and switches. And I also think it would be interesting to see how all this is configured (vlans, firewall rules, ip addresses,...)

Hello LTT, Video Suggestion:

I would love to see an RGB Christmas Light Guide Video! I think you could have a ton of Fun with this topic and integrate maybe some automated Lighting with Computer integration. It would be cool if you could make a guide on how to setup Music Synchronization with RGB Lighting for the Holidays! Thanks, love your content, merchandise, and all you do! Please make my birthday wishes come true! ( I turn 23 on Monday, November 6th)

On 6/11/2023 at 1:03 PM, Alex Evgeniev said:

So i am looking for some recommendations as of 2023.

So far i have been using Team Viewer for passive control (although i think i have seen they have some active service for monitoring, but i just didn't want to overload my relative's devices with a thing running whole time, some of which not that great in performance by default (cheaper ones)).

Do you have a license? If not, I fully expect at one point you get "Commercial use suspected" nonsense....
Anyhow, I'd recommend RustDesk and running your own server, if you are technically savvy enough.

PS There - an idea for LMG, try RustDesk.
PPS I just realized I replied to a post half a year old... Sorry about that, but what I said still stands.

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

Hi, in reaction to the latest WAN show and the adblock thing with YT in recent weeks, i would like to address something, they didn’t mention. In last months I’m forced to watch more and more scam adverts on YT, which I immediately reported and in all instances Google responded, that it’s ok and it doesn’t violate any of their policies and they will do nothing with it. I think that this could be justified reason to use adblock, which i’m still not using btw, and it would be awesome, if someone with reach like you could make a video about scam advertisment on YT and their inaction in that matter.