Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, our hero, Linus, was so blown away by the stuff he got to see on a trip to a manufacturer site, he said if they let him talk about what he wanted to, he could make four or more videos about it easy.  And then...

... and then many many weeks later, several trips through the woods and grandmother's house and several covid waves later...

... let's slip on WAN show won't be four or more videos after all...

... and we waited ...

... and then he teased us some more.

spacer.png

Finally we all thought, we're going to see it tomorrow.

And tomorrow came.

And there it was!  Finally!  The amazing top secret behind the scenes stuff, at least that which he could tell us about, was finally here!

spacer.png

uhhh, wait a second.  Those bunny suits cause a person's voice and accent to change?  Who knew?

I thought Dr Ian wasn't going to work for LTT Labs.  Hmmm.  With a crew of one managed to turnaround his video way faster?!  Hmmmm.

Must be slightly delayed yet again.  Oh wait, wait, here it is, here it is!  Yayyy uhhhh...

spacer.png

Uhhh, Linus looks a lot different without the beanie hat on. 

And we wait.

Video Idea...

A lot of people that watch your videos work or have strong passions that lead them into the music industry. I, myself, am an EDM dj.

The problem with a lot of DJ software is that when scanning or Auto batching music files it ends up pegging your computer to the max or crashing your system all together. Serato's DJ software is especially well-known for crashing computers that are just not powerful enough to keep up..

Personally I went with a Denon DJ Prime 2 standalone DJ console and a 1 TB Samsung Evo 870 SSD. So I don't have to worry about having a laptop with me to DJ with anymore because my DJ unit itself controls the music controls the lighting and does everything all built in but most people do not have this option.

Most people are still using Serato or Rekordbox (Pioneer DJ) and therefore are still stuck having to go in and assign cores to their programs to leave one core free so the entire system doesn't come crashing to a stop in the middle of a wedding reception or other DJ show..

So maybe if you guys can make a video that explains to DJ's exactly what is happening when their software is running and why it's so demanding on their system when they're prepping and not so much during a show and stuff..

You guys are a lot smarter at understanding the ins and outs of computer hardware and software and the interaction betwixt the two.

All I know is that, back when I was using Serato I had it crashed on a lot of fucking laptops and it was a huge pain in the ass. Unless you had a top of the line i7 or better you were probably going to have a lot of problems..

I'm a Lenovo fan girl so I usually stick with thinkpads series of laptops but there's been some DJs saying that Dell has a pre-built that works really well..

Meh...

Or maybe you can get into building a custom soundswitch set up or recommending pre-builts..

A lot of DJs are now in control of DMX lighting controls on top of just putting on the DJ show so if you can find a way to tie these topics into a video I'm pretty sure that they'll get shared amongst the DJ community pretty rapidly..

(Because I will definitely be one of the many sharing them)

Love you guys and all you do

(Except colton, fuck Colton, lol)

DJ Lys

Please make a top budget gaming/office chair video with a focus on back health and support. There's tons of articles on this online with conflicting answers and most of them recommend $500+ chairs way outside most peoples budget range. 

setting up multiple curved ultrawide monitors so that they completely surround a person.

I used MS paint to create a simple diagram of how it would work

Untitled.png

Hi, my video idea is: Solid Cooling

Instead of liquid cooling, we should be using solid cooling for our CPUs! The main idea is to have a large thermal mass rotating on a block which will be in contact with the CPU, the rotating mass should have a fan (or even heatsync fins on it) to keep the mass from saturating. There should be a small servo/DC motor to keep the mass moving and there should also be thermal paste all around the mass to keep all of the mass' exterior in the optimal thermal contact with the CPU interface block.

image.png.f0adc99a498661ac195dce1d3c29962c.png

On the interface block, it might need to be wider (to get a better connection with the mass) and it might need a tray for thermal paste as it rotates.

If nothing else, this would make a good title and thumbnail!

Here's my pretty terrible cad https://cad.onshape.com/documents/f9f08049206af3a6b5526c26/w/5ad3705045c81ca507869f64/e/1df7c10e6669a5be284e47f8?renderMode=0&uiState=625614ae787fe2004f828438

Hi, 

My idea for a video would be a computer build (any type or even a market laptop) that can handle the Quest 2 Link within a reasonable price range. Maybe 400-1000$ Limit?
    I feel like a lot of people have issues with link compatibility and simply don’t have the funds to be able to use it to its full extent. 
  My apologies if it already has been talked about. I hope everyone here has a great day, thank you. 

It would be difficult because pandemic but with things opening up again, Scrapyard Wars 9?
More VR Stuff, testing of headsets and claims from companies or just a comparison on what to get if you're getting into the market
A Secret Shopper 3 to keep it going since it's been another 2 years since the last one?

Dell has a huge issue they refuse to fix, possibly a defect. Dell XPS, their top of the line $2k-4k laptops overheat and are fire hazard. This issue is seems to be caused by an error with the S3 power mode. A google search of this will confirm how wide spread the issue is and dell representatives acknowledging the issue. Dell either wont or cant fix the problem for one reason or another. I spent about $3,000 USD on a laptop that turns into a fusion reactor if I try and put it to sleep. Its a safety (it burns you) and a fire hazard. Dell offers no solutions... Please look into this! Looks like someone wrote an article about it too. https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/dell-xps-15-modern-standby-issues

image.thumb.png.3775382a3baaa95f4bd779f0d3611449.png

Please bear with me, I had a 1:00 am idea and wanted to post it before it vanished from my brain. 

Over the last few years, Steam has made Steam Link a fairly decent tool for remote play and remote desktop. Due to the current living situation at my house, I am using Steam link more than ever before. My PC is in the Office area, which is my also a family members bedroom currently and I do not have the space in my room for my entire desk, let alone just the PC. I have an rPi 4 behind my TV and wireless keyboard and mouse as well as a long USB C cable for my Switch Pro Controller.

Back to Steam Link; I have done an Any% play through of God of War on PC, started doing some Skywalker Saga now and I have not had very many issues with the program at all. While playing a game just now is when my 1:00am idea hatched. I have a VPN server installed on my NAS (i am using Unraid as an OS and WireGuard as my VPN server). This makes it theoretically possible for me to use Steam Link as a remote gaming experience anywhere in the world. I would love to try this out for myself however due to the sh*t internet my ISP gave me, I would have the worst experience ever (12Mbps Down, 1Mbps Up). Even using this as a remote tunnel isnt great, but when i need to access something from my NAS, I can.

Is there a way that this is actually possible? And if it is, could it be video worthy? If it already is a video, I might have missed it. Someone link it please.

I can do some digging too and probably some testing. But for now, my spelling mistakes have gotten worse and I believe it is time for some sleep. 

My sister in law works for a company called UPMEM in france, they produce processing in memory chips to accelerate computation https://www.upmem.com/ maybe a video on these technologies, you could have access to some hardware to test it 

Try out ZFS on Windows!! 

https://github.com/openzfsonwindows/openzfs/releases/tag/zfswin-2.1.99

It’s a direct Linux port and still needs some work, but it does work. Has LTT video written all over it 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

LINUS BE MY MENTOR!!!!

I want to start a youtube channel and help you solve the worlds problems! 

But first to start maybe a 3U/4U LTT Server Case.  HMU.....

My concept I did during yesterdays stream....

Build a computer inside of a fancy-looking vintage leather trunk/suitcase like the one seen on the "Repair Shop" TV show - Jump to 3:05 in this video to see what I mean. 

Arcade Harddrive - 8TB - HyperArcadeSystems.com

Full Arcade

Full Pinball

Full Consoles up to PS2

I know you did an arcade cabinet build a few years ago. But this isn't anything like that. It has everything from marquees to ledblinky support. Scanlines,.bezels etc. 3 frontend support. Etc

I'd like to send you one. I support 1800 people. It's the most complete Arcade harddrive in existence. Will give your guys something to wrap their head around. I'm also Canadian. In Toronto. 

Christopher Shaw

Hi,
I work for IBM at Bromont, Quebec and we do all the lasts steps that you didn't cover in your video at the intel FAB in Israel

We receive the wafer, assemble the chip, electric testing, burn-in process, etc

If you are interested I can give you a contact for a visit.

Almost 2 years ago, and I don't know why I never asked. Do you think it might be good content to overclock the case "MonsterLabo: The Beast". And with how well it cools with fans. Do you think that Alex could take on a modding project to see just the amount of cooling power it could have? Whoever plans these might take this in, but we'll just have to see. 

Hey guys !

Shot in the dark here, but has anyone suggested an "Old person PC" video, where LTT tries to make the most "Old Person Proof" PC and OS where all the needs of an old person are met, while having the most stable environment needing the least maintenance from their children ?

Could be fun as a project where some LTT staff act like the old people and try to "break" things the way old people do

Personally I would love such a video, as I am currently working on moving my grandparents to Linux Mint as they keep messing up their windows computers

Can we have a video on DP1.4 MST behind a KVM switch? There was recently a video about DP cables and they're suprisingly all fine. I can't get the Switch and Hub working right (both claim MST support). I wonder if its a technology issue and not product brands. (My issue - no need for support here, contacted vendor already - 

)

Am I the only one trying to use two monitors with one cable combined with a switch between a gaming pc (RTX 3060TI) and work laptop?

Possible contents of the video:

- does it actually work?

- where are the limits? (brands, DP spec, throughput, amount screens, resolution)

Stumbled across this; think it would make a very interesting video.

coreboot.org

Its an open source MB UEFI/firmware

RTX 3080 Thermal Pad Replacement

I own a GIGABYTE RTX 3080 GAMING OC 10G card. I have seen numerous reddit posts regarding the shoddy quality of the stock thermal pads, and how this card in particular is missing thermal pads on the VRAM. There are no thermal pads between the VRAM and the metal backplate, so heat gets trapped in there and can cause the card to thermal throttle. The stock thermal pads also leak oil and do a mediocre job at keeping the card cool. Upon replacing the stock pads, users have reported that their cards could run up to 20 degrees cooler.

I'd love to see you guys tear down a bunch of cards and run tests on the before/after of replacing their thermal pads and adding missing ones where necessary. This is just one example I came across of what the mod can do to the card I listed above.

Dear Linus,
In yesterday's video (loved it btw) and lots of others, you were rocking the flow x13. You made a video of it back in Feb 2021 and convinced me enough to buy it. Now that I bought it (6 months ago) I must say I'm a very frustrated with the product. No worries.. I'm not at all writing this to blame you for an unfortunate purchase of mine, but rather I would like to hear what your experience with the device was so far in a video, since you've been using it as your daily driver for quite a while now (or so I think). For a person like you who can choose from literally ANY laptop in the world, you choose the flow x13, which must mean that you don't have the problems that many people have with the Flow x13 (check the subreddit). It would be great if you could make a review video on your daily driver and share you experience and especially your tips on how to make the Flow X13 be like it was advertised, minus the bullshit bugs, BSODs and thermal issues. Are you hiding the holy gravy? or is it Anthony?
Thank you Linus (or most likely Mr Jones or Pilolla) for reading this!
Kind regards, Timo

Copper modding for GPU memory. It looks very interesting. I hope that is okay if i post a video i saw about it

Hey! I saw Anthony's video on direct storage. Recently unreal engine 5 was released for pc with the matrix demo for pc. But it only got 40 fps even with a RTX 3090 which is weird because it should have gotten much more fps than a ps5 (30 fps). Most people say it is a optimization problem (and running on higher resolution) but I think it has a lot to do with direct storage especially considering how nanite works. Can you please test the ue5 matrix demo for pc by using direct storage and see how much difference it creates. Please make a video if you find something interesting.