Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

I'd love to see the partnership with Intel leveraged to go on a "progress tour" of the new chip fab being built in Columbus, Ohio. We always hear news about the fabs and new chips, but it would be awesome to see an actual factory being built from the ground up in the US.

Maybe throw in some interviews with process engineers, and construction crews/project managers to round out the content, but it would give LTT a video every few months for the next several years as the facility comes online and expands.

On 3/20/2019 at 5:19 PM, Slottr said:

I have a video idea it is not a review but i think that sending a 30 series graphic card into space and playing a game on it would be pretty cool

I'd like to see a more CPU bound strategy game added to the LTT CPU benchmark suite. While it's great seeing how different action games run on new CPUs we know that the GPU often plays the biggest role in determining the scores. When paired with a GPU affordable by average people the apparent differences are often much smaller than what the benchmark suggests.

However there are more and more games these days, particularly in the "factory" genre, that are obviously CPU and memory bound rather than GPU bound. Seeing a UPS (Updates Per Second) based benchmark of a game like Factorio would be a useful insight into what CPU might be better for strategy focused gamers.

I'd love to see a video comparing high end NUCs/small form factor PCs.  Such as the Corsair One series vs. the Dragon Canyon line.

Basically, solutions for people who need to travel with really high end machines and need more ports and cooling than the modern "gaming laptop" offers.  There was a recent video on the dragon canyon line, but I didn't see anything about how rugged it was.  What can I put on carryon luggage with the least chance of something going wrong?  In other words, how do you travel with the most computing power possible (within a high-end consumer level budget)?  Things with liquid cooling worry me when it comes to transport, but I don't know how grounded that fear is in reality.

Or, put another way, something small but rugged enough to survive Linus accidentally dropping it a short distance... 😛

Partner with Jim Browning, and cover the more sophisticated scams going on. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

Hi,

It would be interesting to have a review on HDMI Switch with Audio Extractor. (analog and digital output)

Especially for gamers that would like to connect to a 4K computer Monitor multiple Game Console without increasing to mush input lags or synchronization between the sound and the image.

Thanks,

TechHVL

Can you make a video about Golem or similar projects where you rent out your Pc. The focus lately have been on Krypto mining, but that's just burning fuel for the sake of making the mileage go up on your car. I think if we could actually use all that wasted resurges to something useful like 3d rendering, research , game hosting, and make some cashe inn the proses, would be better for the environment, if the power actyly got used to something useful.

Hello there!!!

I am new here and the reason I joined  in the first place is because today as I was trying to find a GPU to buy I came across the Intel Xe Arc series A530 gpu from 2022, it looks legit.

It is on auction now and I fear it may get snagged faster than when toilet paper disappeared of shelves at the beginning of this pandemic and I would really love to see a video analyzing this GPUs performance!!!!

P.S. 

After a little bit of research, I found out that this a DG1 Max edition (with 96 EU’s) sold by Gunnir.

I don’t think Linus had this one reviewed yet!!!

The link:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/353995619483?hash=item526bc87c9b:g:i1MAAOSwnIBiTb9Z

43E65DAE-4AD0-49E8-B13D-0B005BA11776.png

I'm a software developer who creates very CPU-intensive applications for government agencies and large corporations. As I create newer software with huge performance requirements, I need to recommend appropriate hardware to our customers. In the past, most "minimum system requirements" (like on a game, for example) list a either a specific model or something "X cores at Y GHz". This doesn't factor in IPC, as a 10 year old CPU with 4 cores at 2.5GHz is crap compared to a new CPU with 4 cores at 2.5GHz. I've been using benchmarks as a better indicator of real-world performance to make recommendations. The benchmark is CPUMark at www.cpubenchmark.net, which has been around for several years. Although it's a single benchmark which may not correlate 100% with real world performance, they have enough data points that it's reasonably close. I've also tested my multi-threaded process on multiple hardware configurations and the runtime seems to correlate with the benchmark values, within margin of error.

For a new application I'm developing, I've given the customer minimum specs of 10,000 CPUMark score and recommended specs of 30,000 CPUMark score. When looking at what hardware they would need to meet this, I found that consumer-grade CPUs seem to be a MUCH better value proposition and more powerful than server CPUs the last couple years, as shown by this graph: PassMark CPU Benchmarks - Year on Year Performance. Can you explain what the heck is going on here?

For example, my personal computer has an AMD Ryzen 3950x, which has a CPUMark of around 39,170. The server my customer has available for this new app has dual AMD EPYC 7451, for a total CPUMark of about 40,942. My 3950x retails for about $900, while two 7451 would be about $5,000. These CPUs came out within 2 years of each other. Is there a good reason why I should spend 5x as much for a server CPU when I can get the same performance on desktop hardware? I don't feel good recommending that our customer go buy some pre-build rack server with overpriced CPUs. Should I recommend that they look at putting consumer-grade hardware in a server chassis? What's the best solution here? Why do these server CPUs seem like a big rip-off? Sure, they have ECC, but is that really necessary these days?

Trying the best cpu with the worst gpu and vice versa, see which system works better for gaming

I just got a DG2 MAX V2 with 96EU as 768 unified shaders.driver date at 2006 jun 21.

Made by intel 10nm, with 5000M transistors?

but only works with 11 gen and 12gen intel cpu

20220406_100954.jpg

20220406_101249.jpg

20220406_101520.jpg

It would be really cool to see a video on the technology and networking on setting up a massive music festival that is livestreamed to the entire world. The festival in mind is Electric Daisy Carnival: Las Vegas or commonly refered to as EDC Las Vegas. The amount of tech in the fest is mind blowing going all the way with lights, lasers, audio, and them recording and livestreaming it. Each stage has a control center in which they control the LED screens, lights, and lasers and it would be really cool to see behind the scenes on what and how they operate such a massive stage at the festival and what kind of power/tech it involves to be able to pull off such a task.

I think its a pretty cool idea because people go to these festivals to have a good time, but behind the scenes is what really gets me on how they operate such a massive operation

Perfect follow up video for the just released Gas-Powered PC Cooling video: „Fitness-Cooling-challenge“

Similar setup, but with an exercise bike as the „pump“ for the watercooling (humanpower instead of horsepower 😁) and a number of contestants from LMG, to see who can keep the GPU the coolest during a defined 3D Mark Run.

„Don’t you hate it when Someone tells you to go outside and do some sports instead of gaming on your PC? Don’t worry, we got you covered! With our solution you‘ll stay fit and your PC cool…. Just as cool as this segue to our sponsor…“ 

….This video is sponsored by (insert company here) and their new Smart Watch xy with great features to check your heartrate and O2 Levels during sports…  and remember to stay hydrated with a water bottle from lttstore.com… -Almost writes itself 😂😂

Maybe make a Linux sleeper pc, running Gentoo...let's see how that will go with systemd init system

SHOULD YOU WATER COOL A VAN?!?!

Would it be possible to get LTT expertise in helping me test my theory for water chilling my van instead of using a traditional mini split? Might be an interesting video given the rise of vanlife, at least for people with a home base like me.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

To keep building hype for the backpack. What SFFPCs setups can fit in it along with a keeb, mouse, and portable monitor.

I may or may not be asking for selfish reasons... but think it would be a great video regardless.

Hey LTT, I had a dream last night and dream me came up with an idea I thought was pretty cool. I have loved your sleeper PC videos over the years, but what about an all in one sleeper? I envision a late 90's iMac G3 with a full itx build inside. Replace the tube with a small flat panel, and that should leave a good amount of room for the build. Started looking at listings to try this build myself, but I do not have the funds or the resources to do it properly. To do this right, I think some 3d printed brackets will be needed. It would be amazing if the iMac I/O window could be used for the new system. GPU out would be critical, as no one would want to use the 15" display as their main monitor. I am not much of a mac guy, but I loved the late 90s/early 2000s aesthetic. I think people could really dig this project if it were done right. I plan to keep researching myself, but it will be a long time before I could even consider buying parts. Just an idea from my subconscious. Enjoy.

I fix medical equipment for a living and recently I was servicing a hypo/hyperthermia machine used to heat or cool patients depending on need. it occurred to me that it would be pretty awesome for cooling a PC.

1) relatively inexpensive used

2) designed to be used continuously

3) large reservoir & pump built in. During Preventive maintenance our spec is that if it falls below 14lph  then it needs to be serviced. Capacity is 2 ish gallons.

4) tubing connects with quick connects so it could realistically be mounted in another room or a closet to keep noise down and just run the line set to the PC.

I can help if desired.

Here's a PDF of the service manual

https://techweb.stryker.com/Gaymar/TMP/Medi-Term/MTA7900/101251000.pdf

Thanks,

Steve

I came across an ad on YouTube about a configurable unusual keyboard. I thought that it would be a interesting topic for a video, given the fact that you guys have covered this form of keyboards before, but then with a old concept which wasn't available on the market anymore.

https://www.azeron.eu/?gclid=CjwKCAjw3cSSBhBGEiwAVII0ZxmxCDgZZRDv3-dXW7pdzJ6HxmYAnm5IdzyPFSJ54TFwAXeFg1PohhoCANkQAvD_BwE

dssd.png

I was going to sell my 6700 XT but then I noticed a weird ad listing showing his Furmark performance with his 6700 XT 

It was so unreal getting 192FPS average on 4K and reaching a peak of 400+ FPS ???
I have a 6700 XT myself and I barely get  65~70 FPS on Furmark with the same settings/resolution/version.

I double checked everything, I even upgraded to 5600X to test if the FPS would increase but it didn't.

I think it would be a great video idea if someone from LTT team could make a video explaining to us how is this kind of performance even possible, or if the picture is fake or not but it looks like someone just used his smartphone to take a picture from his monitor so I doubt it.

UPDATE : I tried to contact the guy who posted the ad for that 6700 XT and he told me that it's no longer available.

unknown[1].png

Hey, I'd love to see a video about the Use Cases for extremely low-end GPUs (ex. nvidia quadro 400) and which GPUs are best to use in those cases.

For example in your recent budget NAS creation video, you used a CPU without integrated graphics (AMD Ryzen 3 3100). This is a time which choosing an extremely low-end budget GPU off eBay for ~$10 might be worth it to save the hassle of setting up the BIOS or OS install without graphics. I know for me anyway, I would happily spend an extra $10 on a build if it saves me the hassle of needing to use my primary computer's GPU and possibly PSU just to setup the BIOS and OS on my NAS. 

Im a chemist and I use N2 for cooling reactions and preventing oxidation, and I've always thought that you could very effectively cool a PC with dry N2 evaporated from liquid N2. No grease needed to prevent condensation on conductive components. Keep the entire system sealed from the atmosphere and have a check valve letting the dry N2 out after it's been warmed by the components.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, our hero, Linus, was so blown away by the stuff he got to see on a trip to a manufacturer site, he said if they let him talk about what he wanted to, he could make four or more videos about it easy.  And then...

... and then many many weeks later, several trips through the woods and grandmother's house and several covid waves later...

... let's slip on WAN show won't be four or more videos after all...

... and we waited ...

... and then he teased us some more.

spacer.png

Finally we all thought, we're going to see it tomorrow.

And tomorrow came.

And there it was!  Finally!  The amazing top secret behind the scenes stuff, at least that which he could tell us about, was finally here!

spacer.png

uhhh, wait a second.  Those bunny suits cause a person's voice and accent to change?  Who knew?

I thought Dr Ian wasn't going to work for LTT Labs.  Hmmm.  With a crew of one managed to turnaround his video way faster?!  Hmmmm.

Must be slightly delayed yet again.  Oh wait, wait, here it is, here it is!  Yayyy uhhhh...

spacer.png

Uhhh, Linus looks a lot different without the beanie hat on. 

And we wait.

Video Idea...

A lot of people that watch your videos work or have strong passions that lead them into the music industry. I, myself, am an EDM dj.

The problem with a lot of DJ software is that when scanning or Auto batching music files it ends up pegging your computer to the max or crashing your system all together. Serato's DJ software is especially well-known for crashing computers that are just not powerful enough to keep up..

Personally I went with a Denon DJ Prime 2 standalone DJ console and a 1 TB Samsung Evo 870 SSD. So I don't have to worry about having a laptop with me to DJ with anymore because my DJ unit itself controls the music controls the lighting and does everything all built in but most people do not have this option.

Most people are still using Serato or Rekordbox (Pioneer DJ) and therefore are still stuck having to go in and assign cores to their programs to leave one core free so the entire system doesn't come crashing to a stop in the middle of a wedding reception or other DJ show..

So maybe if you guys can make a video that explains to DJ's exactly what is happening when their software is running and why it's so demanding on their system when they're prepping and not so much during a show and stuff..

You guys are a lot smarter at understanding the ins and outs of computer hardware and software and the interaction betwixt the two.

All I know is that, back when I was using Serato I had it crashed on a lot of fucking laptops and it was a huge pain in the ass. Unless you had a top of the line i7 or better you were probably going to have a lot of problems..

I'm a Lenovo fan girl so I usually stick with thinkpads series of laptops but there's been some DJs saying that Dell has a pre-built that works really well..

Meh...

Or maybe you can get into building a custom soundswitch set up or recommending pre-builts..

A lot of DJs are now in control of DMX lighting controls on top of just putting on the DJ show so if you can find a way to tie these topics into a video I'm pretty sure that they'll get shared amongst the DJ community pretty rapidly..

(Because I will definitely be one of the many sharing them)

Love you guys and all you do

(Except colton, fuck Colton, lol)

DJ Lys