Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

CPotter

LTT has done lots of informative videos on 2nd and 3rd Gen AMD Ryzen desktop processors. I'm in the market for a budget productivity laptop. Should I wait for the 3rd Gen Ryzen laptop processors or are the 2nd Gen Ryzen laptop processors good?

more hybrid cameras! (and entry level cinema cameras) 

Silverstone FT-05: 8 Broadwell Xeon (6900k soon), Asus X99 A, Asus GTX 1070, 1tb Samsung 850 pro, NH-D15

Resist!

Pimp a Dell Dimension 3000 case with modern hardware Linus.

"Whatever happens, happens." - Spike Spiegel

I have an idea, how long would it take for a PC get hot if instead of using radiators you used a 5 gallon bucket of water.

How about some more POV video tutorials? More specifically, hardline open loops.

Happy New Year,

I was thinking it would be interesting to see a real comprehensive plex hardware comparison.

High end Setup:

Take a look at things like what hardware is the best for the true ultimate plex server using some of the top end CPU's like the 3950X, 3960X, 3970X (and then maybe the 3990X or the equivalent EPYC), the W-3175X and Intel's HEDT Chips. Also take a look at GPU encoding on the high end with something like a Quadro RTX card or an unlocked consumer GPU

Look into things like at what point do 5400rpm spinning drives become a bottleneck for the media files (most home servers this isnt an issue but if you had enough people hitting them eventually they would (especially since the 5400rpm WD reds are real popular to 'shuck').  How much does faster drives help the meta data (IE show it on HDD vs NVME vs something like optane)

Every day Setup:

There is much debate on buying older used Xeon servers off ebay and using them vs a modern system. Take a look at an old Xeon system vs something like a R5 3600 system and power efficiency and see what really is the best bang for the buck. Maybe throw in some other interesting setups like a NUC or the Nvidia Shield or a Synology NAS for the ultimate value showdown

Thanks,

Bill

Maybe I'm weird but I really love the 'behind the scenes' vlog videos - the best of which was the series documenting the big move.  Would love to see more vlog content if and when it makes sense to do so.

Is there ever going to be a vive cosmos video from LTT? Saw Linus say something about requesting one on the wan show a little while ago, and was just curious about if they have got ahold of one yet and if a video is in the making.

Which CPU's can cook an egg on a overheating CPU without a heatsink.  

"Whatever happens, happens." - Spike Spiegel

No video review, but make a Chinese media player supercluster, just because.

Just buy a bunch of cheap media players (AMLogic S905X3 CPUs are good, and are going from $25/unit on eBay and Alibaba; or the more expensive octacore versions), take out the guts, install a heat sink on all of them, mount them together with hexagonal rods and do Boinc on them.

Here's a concept with 4 boards:

spacer.pngspacer.png

My cluster (now 8 units) uses an Ethernet switch, USB hub for power, and HDMI+USB for controlling each unit with 1 keyboard and mouse, and display it on one display.

Would love to see if you could steer each unit remotely with either one Android media player, or a raspberry pi by communicating over the network with them. It would save on HDMI and USB cables.

I'm in the process of making a 24 and 48 cluster device.

I want to see a massive supercluster of these. Like 100 of them!

I would like to see a no dollar wasted intel cpu build. I really enjoyed that first amd no dollar wasted video that was done a while back (sorry I can't remember that guys name who did it).

I also would like to see a big case, high end intel cpu build with the largest noctua air cooler. I love the super big desktop cases. It is on my personal wish list to own an over the top gigantic desktop some day.

Since the last amd releases it seems like everyone out there is making nothing but non-stop amd build videos.

Which is understandable but it is starting to bore me now.

A whole vintage CPU series would be great now that we hit 2020. There are a ton of enthusiast high performance systems throughout the last ten years that are still relevant today but now gather dust or sit in landfills. Stuff like Skulltrail (great recent video), or first-gen i7 (980X, 990X - 6 core/12 thread for consumers in 2010!). The overclocking beast that is Sandy Bridge. Just so many ways to go with it. 

The Daily Driver:
AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  |  EVGA GTX 1070 SC  |  48GB Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4-3600  | Corsair 750D Case
AsRock X570 Pro 4 mobo

iRacing Sim Rig:

i5-10600k @ 5.0 GHz  |  EVGA GTX 1080ti Hybrid  | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo DDR4-3600  |  Corsair Air 540 Case
ASUS Z490-E ROG Strix mobo

I got an at least 2m views plus video.

Talk about the apus and everything. But this time get the 5000mhz corsair from newegg. And do benchmarks.

If this does well u should gift me lol. I don't have a computer just a dell e6410 i5 540m. Only 14 and parents cant afford a pc for me. I like to host server stuff and light games.

Ideas, tricks, tips for setting up your smart home. How to avoid pitfalls and general annoyances when smart homes are set up incorrectly 

Never trust a man, who, when left alone with a tea cosey... Doesn't try it on. Billy Connolly
Marriage is a wonderful invention: then again, so is a bicycle repair kit. Billy Connolly
Before you judge a man, walk a mile in his shoes. After that, who cares? He's a mile away and you've got his shoes. Billy Connolly

a reply from an old crank which may not matter:

Smart home or smart appliances?  Smart homes are cool if you control the data, which means no cloud and running your own server.  Just setting up google everything though means you’ve basically big brothered yourself.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

which is the ultimate  audio setup for competitive Esports gaming : studio speakers vs headphones , in terms of affordability and practicality of course the headphone would be easier , but we see a lot of videos about building the dream gaming room where cost is not a concern  ,in that  scenario a well placed studio speakers should be superior as they offer real soundstaging when compared to headphones , but to achieve it you need proper acoustic room treatment and audio equipment placement that may not be ideal for your room 

CPU:  i7 9700K / CPU Cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro 4/Motherboard: Gigabyte z390 Aorus Pro Wifi/ RAM: 2 x Ballistix 8GB  DDR4

GPU:  ASUS ROG STRIX  RTX 2070 SSD:  ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB NVMe / HDD:  3TB WD 30EZRX

PC Case:  CM H500P Mesh White / PSU: Corsair RM850i -850w Gold  /Monitor :LG CX 55 + S27B970D

DAC: Audioengine D1 /Speakers : Focal Bird 2.1 /Headphones: Sennheiser HD 380Pro / B&W PX

PC Part Picker

I would like to see crysis run on the best possible gaming pc's of the last 13 years.

I think it would be interesting to see the overall progress of annual performance gains, and an analysis into what technological-strides were made to achieve said gains.

Edited by Damahr
fixed wordin because i can't word good.

Collab with 8 Bit Guy and Retro Recipes for April Fools, tho something legit interesting could come of that

Hi,

Want to see timed individual PC build competition between LTT members

1. Linus
  2. Luke
  3. Nick
  4. James
  5. Jake
  6. Anthony

It can be a simple build competition

or

Instead of giving them the hardware, pile the hardware up, stack it in a corner in a mixed and matched fashion (AMD/Intel, Nvidia/AMD, Different brand RAMs with different bus, HDD/SSD/NVME etc), handover the piece of paper to the individuals so that they have to find the specific components and build up the PC. Install games and benchmarks on the PC.

Love to see, how competition goes between them and who will win..

So the channel Essential Craftsman on YouTube would be a great NAS upgrade video. 

They are filming an EPIC how-to-build-a-house video tutorial.

All of their footage is stored on external hard drives, and only partially backed up. 

they are doing good work, and would be doubtless very grateful for the help.

Their channel:

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCzr30osBdTmuFUS8IfXtXmg

Screwdriver specs: Long, pointy. Turns things. Some kind of metal.

Main rig: 

i9-7900x | Asus X299-Prime | 4x8GB G-Skill TridentZ @3300MHz | Samsung 970 Evo 500GB | Intel 5400S 1TB | Corsair HX1200

unRAID server:

Xeon  E5-1630v4 |  Asus X99-E WS | 4x8GB G-Skill DDR4 @2400MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB cache drive | 12TB spinning rust | Corsair RM750X

FreeNAS server:

AMD something-or-other | Asus prebuilt sadness | 8GB DDR3-1600 | 9TB magnetic storage | Potential fire threat

HTPC:

i7-4790 | GTX1650 | Dell Sadness | 12GB DDR3-1600 | Samsung 860 250GB | 1TB magnetic storage | James Loudspeaker SPL3 x2 | Corsair SF450

Would love to see Linus with that creepy robot lady that keeps turning up all over the place. I haven't seen anything but scripted interviews with her, but no one really dives into the tech that makes her (possibly 'it'?) run. What kind of processing power does she have? Is she wireless or gigabit lan? Are they using Windows or Linux or something they scratch built just for her? How big is the code? Has she ever caught a virus or got infected with ransomware. Does she have USB, can she charge my phone? Does she have any siblings yet? Can she play tic tac toe? ("Would you like to play a game?")? Can she get in a good word with Skynet for me? Is she water or air cooled?

No idea if it would be possible to get any of this info, but it would make a great video if you could! And even if it is easily available info to find, its not like other easily researchable topics haven't made great videos.

I made a thread in general not realising this thread was here. Hopefully some Mod will remove it, but it'll probably fall down into the dark pages (like the dark ages, but for forums. So long ago its only relevant to history buffs, and necro trolls) quickly enough.