NOCTUA CPU FAN noisy / grindy?!

Mark Kaine

I  know what the issue is but not how to fix it...  the spring/ clamp thing they use is much too weak,  doesn't even fit properly it seems. 

Basically there isn't enough pressure.  Any ideas ?

If I touch the fan and push it lightly it stops,  but of course the grinding sound comes back with a vengeance each time, tried reseating the fan several times. Note the second fan is a bequiet SWII and is dead silent...

Edited by Mark Kaine
better video

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Your attachment is broken.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

3 minutes ago, Levent said:

Your attachment is broken.

Changed the video, try again. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

Changed the video, try again. 

The video doesn't really help here. Is the be Quiet using same clips? And have you tried already swapping them around to see if the clips are just issue themselves. Also there should be two places to hook the clips. depending on which pads you are using. So make sure to use the farthest places if you have thinner pads.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

43 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

The video doesn't really help here.

Yeah, I know but if you listen closely there's a really grinding noise few seconds in... but yeah it's not clearly audible in the video. 

45 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

be Quiet using same clips?

Yup, they're both using the clips that came with the noctua cooler,  they're also attached in the same way, maybe the bequiet is just a bit thicker maybe idk. 

49 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Also there should be two places to hook the clips. depending on which pads you are using. So make sure to use the farthest places if you have thinner pads.

Yeah,  i read that in the manual,  and I can't put them any farther in,  otherwise they'd touch each other,  and there really isn't anything to clip them in at that point... I'll check again though. 

Thing is the noctua seems not really firm,  if I push it up it goes up and then slowly down on it's own,  you'd think it settles at some point but it hasn't yet. 

But it's really hooked exactly like the bequiet. 

Btw it has stopped doing it since an hour or so now, but I doubt it'll stay like this,  but here's hoping!  

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 4/2/2021 at 7:37 PM, LogicalDrm said:

And have you tried already swapping them around to see if the clips are just issue themselves.

So it didn't make this noise all day yesterday, until sometimes really late at night, then it randomly started doing it again. 

So now I thought I try swapping the clips,  same thing, the notcua fan is the loudest part in my pc, and it's a pretty nerve-wracking, grinding sound.  I'm now also pretty sure it's the bearings due to the grindy nature of the sound.  I think i should RMA?  And i also think I'll ask noctua to just replace the fan because i really don't want to exchange the whole cooler just for that...

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Its done.. you paid for the warranty might as well use it, tell them a clip was defective too and you'll get some new ones 👍

AMD R9 5900X | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

55 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

So it didn't make this noise all day yesterday, until sometimes really late at night, then it randomly started doing it again. 

So now I thought I try swapping the clips,  same thing, the notcua fan is the loudest part in my pc, and it's a pretty nerve-wracking, grinding sound.  I'm now also pretty sure it's the bearings due to the grindy nature of the sound.  I think i should RMA?  And i also think I'll ask noctua to just replace the fan because i really don't want to exchange the whole cooler just for that...

Fan and clips. Just to make sure. RMA would have been the action anyway.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

13 minutes ago, freeagent said:

Its done.. you paid for the warranty might as well use it, tell them a clip was defective too and you'll get some new ones 👍

Yeah, I think so too. Thinking about it this'll probably be a bigger hassle than I'd like... i mean I'm basically without a cpu fan for the time being,  unless I swap around my fans again which I'm not really keen to do (seriously the fan I'd have to use is a "lepa" and the screws are a huge pain to screw in and out, I kinda think it wasn't made for screws, even though they say screws can be used,  they came originally with rubber screws, which I'm using for my noctua intake fans however,  what a mess !)

Well I'll write them, see what they say first I guess,  but imo they should send a replacement so I can swap it out and then send them the grindy one,  if they want it...  

3 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

Fan and clips. Just to make sure

Right but I can't really swap the fans since the bequiet is DC which apparently doesn't work on the cpu fan header, only at full blast which would be bad for a comparison (it's hella loud for something called bequiet lol)

This is so weird,  the noctua is quiet again now,  but that doesn't mean it won't start doing it again at any time,  it also doesn't seem to be rpm dependent,  it's between 450-550 rpm all the time (while idling)

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Yup just let them know, they will take care of you. Fans die, yours is very premature, but it happens.

Maybe play with your curve a bit. It could be the software on the board glitching a bit.. I've seen it before. Reseat the plug when the system is off, it might help..