Is there any reason why I shouldn't use plastic a water bottle as a reservoir for water cooling PC?

Go to solution Solved by Carbonado,
3 minutes ago, Toxibroke Gaming said:

As far as I know we use it to easily refill or clean the cooling loop and add more coolant if needed and make it easier to set up. 

I have a spare high pressure full plastic soda carbonation bottle at home so I hope to use that for filling distilled water. 

As long as you are able to put the appropriate fitting holes and seal them up well, it should be fine. The only hesitation I'd have is that the fluid/air in the loop can become pressurized as it shifts between cold and hot temperatures, so these silicone sealers may pop out from the pressure or warp from the cold/hot shifting. I'm not sure if these would actually be considered issues, but those are the only concerns I have.

Also check out this article where the author uses a plastic bottle:

Water-cooling Reservoir Theory and Construction Guide - Overclockers

Hope this helps in any way

As far as I know we use it to easily refill or clean the cooling loop and add more coolant if needed and make it easier to set up. 

I have a spare high pressure full plastic soda carbonation bottle at home so I hope to use that for filling distilled water. 

3 minutes ago, Toxibroke Gaming said:

As long as you are able to put the appropriate fitting holes and seal them up well, it should be fine. The only hesitation I'd have is that the fluid/air in the loop can become pressurized as it shifts between cold and hot temperatures, so these silicone sealers may pop out from the pressure or warp from the cold/hot shifting. I'm not sure if these would actually be considered issues, but those are the only concerns I have.

PLEASE TAG ME SO I CAN SEE YOUR REPLY!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700x  | Motherboard: Asus TUF X570 Plus | RAM: Crucial Ballistix 8gbx2 3600Mhz | GPU: Asus TUF RTX 3080 | PSU: NZXT C850 | Case: Corsair 5000D AF | Cooler: NZXT Kraken Z63 280mm | SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500Gb m.2 ssd + Samsung 860 EVO 1tb ssd | Monitor: LG 49WL95C-W | Peripherals: Logitech G815 + Razer Viper Ultimate + Razer Kraken TE | Audio: Logitech G560 

9 minutes ago, Toxibroke Gaming said:

Leaking, you'd need a pump, you'd need to drill openings exactly to the spec of your fittings, ect. ect. If you want to do a decent job it's a hassle and might not be worth it. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

If you somehow manage to properly seal some barb fittings to the water bottle without chances of it leaking and killing your PC, sure go ahead 🙂 

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

12 minutes ago, Toxibroke Gaming said:

If you can't properly protect a PC... don't.

If you cannot afford proper water cooling, you can't afford your PC to die from your jury rigged crap.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

You could just go to Wal-Mart like I did and grab a water container to use.
Mine was one of those that was 2.5 gal capacity and once I had everything setup and sealed I used it for several years - In fact I had made two of them.
I still have one now I use sometimes and it's never leaked (So far) and the big thing is just getting it setup right. The other was destroyed from having to use it for something else and I was rough on it during all that which is why it finally broke. 

I was able to setup the barbs, get it all sealed up and it just worked as you see this one doing with ice in it.
Yes that is the other one and it's probrably 10 years old by now.
1359706323_Benchingres.thumb.JPG.e3bd91a8336cb1949d10d3c3d65bf595.JPG

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana
"Whadda ya mean I ain't kind? Just not your kind"..... Megadeth
Speaking of things being "All Inclusive", Hell itself is too.

16 minutes ago, Carbonado said:

My god. The Madlad did that in 2003. Jeeez.

5 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

My eyes... Well, guess they never required it to look pretty

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

As long as the info is accurate and still relevant, the age of it doesn't matter.

"If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to ask someone else first"..... Nirvana

22 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

You could just go to Wal-Mart like I did and grab a water container to use.
Mine was one of those that was 2.5 gal capacity and once I had everything setup and sealed I used it for several years - In fact I had made two of them.
I still have one now I use sometimes and it's never leaked (So far) and the big thing is just getting it setup right. The other was destroyed from having to use it for something else and I was rough on it during all that which is why it finally broke. 

I was able to setup the barbs, get it all sealed up and it just worked as you see this one doing with ice in it.
Yes that is the other one and it's probrably 10 years old by now.
1359706323_Benchingres.thumb.JPG.e3bd91a8336cb1949d10d3c3d65bf595.JPG

That's... impressive.  I gotta stand by my comment tho, as this is a one-off.  But wow.  Strong work.  Glad the reservoir isn't inside the PC at least.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

This was my initial lazy plan. To drill two holes at top, pump outside and just two tubes from top getting in the coolant and out from the bottom. They will be sealed with silicone at the top. Screenshot_20210317_084319.jpg.116c292d87a7100e3ac160d7db128ea3.jpg

25 minutes ago, Dedayog said:

If you can't properly protect a PC... don't.

If you cannot afford proper water cooling, you can't afford your PC to die from your jury rigged crap.

Agreed. Im doing this in an old pc with fx8350 and I'm about to upgrade. But the jury rigged crap is what makes makes it interesting for me. To see how far I can take this DIY setup. 

Unless you're using 1/2 inch tubing, the 8350 will get hot.
I'd also use at least a triple rad (3 120mm fans) to keep it cool. The reason why my res was so big was to have not only capacity but also so it woudn't heat up as quickly, the more water in the system, the longer it takes to get it warm and that was on purpose since I was benching it competitively. In your case all that isn't needed.

As for setting up the barbs/connections one of the things I did was I used some PVC ends/fittings with PVC glue or what's knows as "Blue Glue" made by Oatley - The same exact stuff you would use assembling PVC based plumbing.
Since my res was plastic it adhered and sealed readily to it like it did the PVC stuff itself. You may have a spot or two after assembly it leaks from, additional glue around the fitting/assembly from the inside of the res will take care of that.
Just smear it around the edges of the fitting setup and let it dry, then test again and repeat until it's stops leaking.

BTW I even created a cooling tower a few years ago and did a vid on it. Nothing special, just did it as a project to kill time and see what I could do with what I had to use.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYVQoCx7Xkk

36 minutes ago, Beerzerker said:

Unless you're using 1/2 inch tubing, the 8350 will get hot.
I'd also use at least a triple rad (3 120mm fans) to keep it cool. The reason why my res was so big was to have not only capacity but also so it woudn't heat up as quickly, the more water in the system, the longer it takes to get it warm and that was on purpose since I was benching it competitively. In your case all that isn't needed.

As for setting up the barbs/connections one of the things I did was I used some PVC ends/fittings with PVC glue or what's knows as "Blue Glue" made by Oatley - The same exact stuff you would use assembling PVC based plumbing.
Since my res was plastic it adhered and sealed readily to it like it did the PVC stuff itself. You may have a spot or two after assembly it leaks from, additional glue around the fitting/assembly from the inside of the res will take care of that.
Just smear it around the edges of the fitting setup and let it dry, then test again and repeat until it's stops leaking.

BTW I even created a cooling tower a few years ago and did a vid on it. Nothing special, just did it as a project to kill time and see what I could do with what I had to use.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYVQoCx7Xkk

That's so awesome and satisfying to watch. 

And I'm using this to cool my rx480 which doesn't get bottlenecked by fx8350 in assetto corsa and witcher 3 with mods. I'm using 120x240mm radiator for Rx480. Will be over clocking fx as well with really thick 120x360 radiator like you mentioned. 

You can also either get a quad rad or have a pair of double rads in line for the same cooling effect. However you want to do it should be OK and I have to say the triple did fairly well for a long time in my case but a quad would have been even better.

If you want to go even further thats up to you such as a quad and a double/triple in line with each other as examples.

On 3/18/2021 at 1:38 AM, Beerzerker said:

You can also either get a quad rad or have a pair of double rads in line for the same cooling effect. However you want to do it should be OK and I have to say the triple did fairly well for a long time in my case but a quad would have been even better.

If you want to go even further thats up to you such as a quad and a double/triple in line with each other as examples.

Noob question but do I need to add any biocide if it's distilled water loop?

I'm not sure if my idea is any better to get around from using a reservoir container, but my way would be easier if you don't mind buying extra fittings.

• Use a 3 way fitting before the in connection to the pump.
  • One of the 3 way direction should be going upwards that is connected to tube with a end cap. It's best to make the tube so you can tuck it to the front of the case so its not so visible. Having the tube also makes it easier to refill, but won't be able to hold as liquid as a real reservoir.
  • The other 3 way direction is connected to main part of the loop, but in way so the bubbles are more likely to go to the refill tubing. If you have too many bubbles at the start it would likely get recycled through the main loop, but bubbles will eventually flow towards the refill tube. You will need to be able to adjust the pump flow rate to have more control removing the air bubbles.

I did tried something like this recently with my current custom loop with a temporary refill tube the utilized the drain valve, but I didn't realize I could have tried to do what I had suggest above at the time. Personally I find not having the reservoir visible looks nicer and gives more space to swap out video cards especially in a tighter case since it was not part of the loop. Next time I change the loop I'm going to do what I had suggested.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X   Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi   Case: Deepcool Maxtrexx 70   GPU: RTX 3090   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Super Flower 850W

9 hours ago, Toxibroke Gaming said:

Noob question but do I need to add any biocide if it's distilled water loop?

You should to avoid any potential problems from that.
There is also things you can get like some of this to drop in the res: https://www.amazon.com/Silver-Coils-Antimicrobial-999-Strip/dp/B00A66HMRC

Those are highly suggested for antimicrobial useage in a system and cheap too. 
Drop it in - Done.

-> Moved to Custom Loop and Exotic Cooling

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

you dont even need a res just use a t fitting

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

On 3/26/2021 at 11:17 PM, thrasher_565 said:

you dont even need a res just use a t fitting

True, but having a res you can access makes it easier to top off the system as needed over time - And it will need to be topped off on occasion.

1 hour ago, Beerzerker said:

True, but having a res you can access makes it easier to top off the system as needed over time - And it will need to be topped off on occasion.

no the t line is the res but w/e

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links