Facebook exec says in hidden-cam discussion that Facebook and Google need to be broken up, and Zuckerberg stopped

Delicieuxz

On the actual report, sadly, it's really nothing new. Or revealing. Facebook is under the NSA wing of DC for protection. They'll survive because they're useful. Google needed to change Administrations to survive, but that probably was only a stay of execution. It's clear everyone is circling the wounded animal that is Alphabet. (Good tip in life: try not to piss off everyone you work with.) Mostly as they've pissed off most State Governments, who are clearly looking at a piece of the pie. Google has never struck me as smart enough to cut the right deals to survive. 

The acting like a country lines aren't wrong. They're big enough to throw their weight around like smaller ones. What they lack is an military and clandestine intelligence service. Like many big players before them, they're going to find out the hard way why the East India Company was much better at this than they are.

3 hours ago, Taf the Ghost said:

On the actual report, sadly, it's really nothing new. Or revealing. Facebook is under the NSA wing of DC for protection. They'll survive because they're useful. Google needed to change Administrations to survive, but that probably was only a stay of execution. It's clear everyone is circling the wounded animal that is Alphabet. (Good tip in life: try not to piss off everyone you work with.) Mostly as they've pissed off most State Governments, who are clearly looking at a piece of the pie. Google has never struck me as smart enough to cut the right deals to survive. 

The acting like a country lines aren't wrong. They're big enough to throw their weight around like smaller ones. What they lack is an military and clandestine intelligence service. Like many big players before them, they're going to find out the hard way why the East India Company was much better at this than they are.

You may not have noticed but the US isn't very popular even amongst it's nominal allies right now. DC's protection isn't worth what it used to be and most of the rest of the world seems peeved with both of them. Besides whats batman going to do 😁.

1 hour ago, CarlBar said:

You may not have noticed but the US isn't very popular even amongst it's nominal allies right now. DC's protection isn't worth what it used to be and most of the rest of the world seems peeved with both of them. Besides whats batman going to do 😁.

Facebook is "safe" in & of the fact it'll have protection from US NatSec factions. Google isn't going to be safe because they have a particularly grand skill at pissing off even their nominal allies. And these companies are big enough in the Geo-political sense to be viewed as quasi-countries. Note how much outright diplomacy Apple spends its time doing. It's not an accident. And the East India Company reference wasn't either.

What we are seeing is the trend to "Internet Localism". This isn't surprising. The Techno-Libertarian Era of the Internet died by 2005 or so, but it's been a slow transition. Or, more realistically, now they can keep track of everything. Pre-2010 or so, even keeping track of DNS requests from a small ISP would outstrip any realistic data collection capacity. Times have changed. There's a reason storage technology has gotten so dang much investment. 

We are definitely in a period of global transition, and not primarily because of COVID. But all because Hank Paulson pissed off a bunch of bankers, which is funny on a lot of levels. Too bad Nico Hulkenberg didn't get a podium from all of the chaos.

As much as I do think something needs to be done about the amount of power that Facebook and Google have, Project Veritas "investigations" should never be trusted. They manipulate footage to support their objectives.

These are long videos, but SUPER informative and well-researched. Watch them at 1.25x or 1.5x and it will be almost impossible for you to trust James O'Keefe on anything ever again.

Dang. I wasn't expecting anything like this. It is something that I think a lot of people saw coming though. Either way I hope things work out for the best. 

I dont know how you could break up facebook. They have to expand into things like instagram to not die.

I wonder what youtube would be like if it had to be its own company and turn a profit.

7 hours ago, RILEYISMYNAME said:

They manipulate footage to support their objectives.

so what you're saying is he is doing what every other journalist does. If I dont see raw video I take "journalist" with a grain of salt.

On 3/16/2021 at 11:27 AM, Commodus said:

Can we just put a moratorium on using Project Veritas as a source? When it's not outright lying or attempting entrapment, it's frequently taking footage out of context or otherwise manipulating it.

As it stands, "something called CRISPR" is not exactly shocking or revelatory. That's CRISPR-Cas9 (there are other methods, this is the most common), a well-known, enzyme-based gene editing technique.

The problem isn't Project Veritas, it's your cancel culture mindset. Project  Veritas is a gift to humanity as of the few legitimate sources of investigative journalism. Sorry you find that offensive. The truth often is!

As for CRISPR, yeah, everyone seems to be on a bandwagon to slow down or reverse aging; specifically Big Tech. A dollar to a donut they're looking to increase telomeres.

You need to be more careful about reposting garbage from questionable sources. So here’s a warning about the source of this video: James O’Keefe is known extremist and convict who edits videos to completely misrepresent people. In the US where almost anyone can buy a gun, the FBI has deemed it necessary to put him on a watchlist so that he can’t purchase a firearm.

Right-wing activist James O’Keefe sues FBI because he can’t buy a gun.

Self-styled "entrapment journalist" James O'Keefe has agreed to pay $100,000 to settle a lawsuit with a former employee of a social welfare agency who accused O'Keefe of misrepresenting him in a widely distributed video. In the video Vera appears to give O'Keefe and an accomplice, Hannah Giles, advice on setting up a prostitution ring. What O'Keefe's video didn't show was that Vera contacted police after the meeting.

Sources:

www.nydailynews.com/new-york/ny-okeefe-suit-gun-watchlist-20200806-tgwjaew7kbc4vaeyt5cccwwfyy-story.html

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2013/mar/08/james-o-keefe-settlement-acorn

Can we all agree that, as @RILEYISMYNAME and others have graciously pointed out, that James O'Keefe manipulates footage such that it misrepresents what the subjects actually said to fit his narrative.

Also the various violations of standard journalistic ethics and practises (that a quick Wikipedia read quickly uncovers) only serves to discredit whatever he presents. Especially the lying part. Once the journalist is exposed for a lie they utter in their presentation, any person (with even half a brain) would not trust that journalist anymore than a liar or criminal.

Also https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/James_O'Keefe

Edited by Jurunce
Added RationalWiki link to person in question

RIGZ

Spoiler

Starlight (Current): AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12-core CPU | EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Black Edition | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Ultra | Full Custom Loop | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 1TB + 2TB M.2 NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSDs, 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD, 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | EVGA NU Audio | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair ML120 2-pack 5x + ML140 2-pack

The Storm (Retired): Intel Core i7-5930K | Asus ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 Ti | Asus ROG RAMPAGE V EDITION 10 | EKWB EK-KIT P360 with Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 Multiport 480 | 32GB (4x8GB) Dominator Platinum SE Blackout #338/500 | 480GB SATA 2.5" SSD + 3TB 5400 RPM NAS HDD + 8TB 7200 RPM NAS HDD | Corsair 900D | Corsair AX1200i + Black/Blue CableMod cables | Corsair ML120 2-pack 2x + NB-BlackSilentPro PL-2 x3

STRONK COOLZ 9000

Spoiler

EK-Quantum Momentum X570 Aorus Master monoblock | EK-FC RTX 2080 + Ti Classic RGB Waterblock and Backplate | EK-XRES 140 D5 PWM Pump/Res Combo | 2x Hardware Labs Black Ice SR2 480 MP and 1x SR2 240 MP | 10X Corsair ML120 PWM fans | A mixture of EK-KIT fittings and EK-Torque STC fittings and adapters | Mayhems 10/13mm clear tubing | Mayhems X1 Eco UV Blue coolant | Bitspower G1/4 Temperature Probe Fitting

DESK TOIS

Spoiler

Glorious Modular Mechanical Keyboard | Glorious Model D Featherweight Mouse | 2x BenQ PD3200Q 32" 1440p IPS displays + BenQ BL3200PT 32" 1440p VA display | Mackie ProFX10v3 USB Mixer + Marantz MPM-1000 Mic | Sennheiser HD 598 SE Headphones | 2x ADAM Audio T5V 5" Powered Studio Monitors + ADAM Audio T10S Powered Studio Subwoofer | Logitech G920 Driving Force Steering Wheel and Pedal Kit + Driving Force Shifter | Logitech C922x 720p 60FPS Webcam | Xbox One Wireless Controller

QUOTES

Spoiler

"So because they didn't give you the results you want, they're biased? You realize that makes you biased, right?" - @App4that

"Brand loyalty/fanboyism is stupid." - Unknown person on these forums

"Assuming kills" - @Moondrelor

"That's not to say that Nvidia is always better, or that AMD isn't worth owning. But the fact remains that this forum is AMD biased." - @App4that

"I'd imagine there's exceptions to this trend - but just going on mine and my acquaintances' purchase history, we've found that budget cards often require you to turn off certain features to get slick performance, even though those technologies are previous gen and should be having a negligible impact" - ace42

"2K" is not 2560 x 1440 

4 minutes ago, Jurunce said:

Can we all agree that, as @RILEYISMYNAME and others have graciously pointed out, that James O'Keefe manipulates footage such that it misrepresents what the subjects actually said to fit his narrative.

Also the various violations of standard journalistic ethics and practises (that a quick Wikipedia read quickly uncovers) only serves to discredit whatever he presents. Especially the lying part. Once the journalist is exposed for a lie they utter in their presentation, any person (with even half a brain) would not trust that journalist anymore than a liar or criminal.

Is how he obtains information ethical? No. But he gets the truth out.

I'm really surprised he's not in prison. He really pissed off the entire establishment. You're not allowed to do that in America anymore. It's simply not allowed!

Since the discussion is only focused on the credibility of the source, not the topic, I think we can end this here.

• Your thread must include a link to at least one reputable source. Most of the time, this should be a respected news site.

Due to Project Veritas having extremely strong political affiliation & bias, a focus on producing content that is political in nature, and a well documented history of deceptive and unethical journalistic practices; I would advise that they should not be used as a source for tech posts on this forum. This doesn't just apply to Project Veritas but any such disreputable or highly politically influenced sources.

As per the Tech News guidelines please use reputable sources, and given the topic of this forum this will typically be news outlets that have a focus on tech topics, or respected mainstream media that also cover technology topics.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450