How far away from a MSRP 3080 are we?

Mopy

I think many of us have been waiting for months for the prices to go down, there are droping slowly but could anyone hazard a guess on how long?

I doubt we will ever see 3080 cards for MSRP.

If anything, you'd need to wait for a Super/Ti revision and a whoooole bunch of more cards for it to finally sort of go to normal levels again.

But your guess is as good as mine, that's just something I observed during the mining craze during the 10-series.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

3 minutes ago, minibois said:

But your guess is as good as mine, that's just something I observed during the mining craze during the 10-series.

I was hoping the 3080 would go down sooner since its not mining economical

2 minutes ago, Mopy said:

The way things are going with the COVID and the mining craze, my best guess is that things would normalize when the GTX 4000 Series launches. The RTX 3080 cannot go in price now, as demand is too high and there aren't that many of them out there. If all of a sudden everyone stopped buying them their price would go down. This will happen when the next generation cards arrive.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

That would be opening a whole different can of worms, considering mining profitability vs. having the coins and thus investing in it, looking at profitability vs. the size of a card (i.e. looking at 2x 3060 Ti vs. 1x 3080, looking at how much money they make you and then looking at the physical space they take up, the heat they output, etc.) and much more.

To put it simply, I think miners will still be interested in 3080 cards.

But let's pretend they are not, you are still battling against thousands of other people wanting to buy a card there is minimal supply for.

Plus, the scalpers understand this and are trying to employ their strategies of getting more cards than allowed too.

That is my main reason why I think:

a. we won't be seeing RTX 3080 cards regularly in stock any time soon

b. we won't be seeing RTX 3080 cards for their MSRP (or rather the 3080 FE MSRP).

Again, that's my opinion/experience/prediction and I would love to be wrong about this.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

As others have said, its VERY unlikely anything released in the next 12 months by any of the "big 3" (Intel, AMD & Nvidia) will ever make it to MSRP.

Its like a perfect storm, COVID means nobody is at work so while AFAIK production capacity isn't really down the rest of the supply chain is having huge issues, there's a global silicon shortage and crypto is at an all time high. Compounding this is scalpers using bots to buy up everything they possible can just to resell at 300%+ profit.

By the time things normalise the current products will be getting replaced soon or maybe even already be out of date.

Then you have to wonder if the afore mentioned companies will bump up the MSRP to reflect the fact customers have been paying more for the last 12 months already so why not.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

38 minutes ago, Mopy said:

I think many of us have been waiting for months for the prices to go down, there are droping slowly but could anyone hazard a guess on how long?

July / August, Maybe.

2 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

July / August, Maybe.

well most likely not
even if cyrptocurrency starts falling, we still have to deal with scalping and the huge demand that's causing the chip shortage currently

Make sure to quote me if you want me to respond

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC

4 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

July / August, Maybe.

2022, right?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

7 minutes ago, GorujoCY said:

well most likely not
even if cyrptocurrency starts falling, we still have to deal with scalping and the huge demand that's causing the chip shortage currently

I would of fought that when more people have the cards than are going to buy them the prices will start droping.

I would of fought that when more people have the cards than are going to buy them the prices will start droping.

as you can imagine, i registered for an auto notify queue on evga europe's website for an rtx 3060 and it's been about one month and ive still have not received a single email after i registered on february 2021, hopefully before or after summer ill receive a notification but imo this still shows how bad the shortage is.

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC

4 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

2022, right?

Heh, by then it will be 'outdated' and people craving that sweet 4080ti...

4 hours ago, GorujoCY said:

auto notify queue on evga europe's website

Try 5 months... still nothing... if you look at the EVGA forums it is clear they do not care to serve the European market at all , at least not directly,  even the oh so great customer service seems awful...

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

Heh, by then it will be 'outdated' and people craving that sweet 4080ti...

It wont be as big of a jump I think

When is just speculation.

I don't think the 3080/6800xt will ever be at MSRP again, but it most likely drop at some point, depending on when the mining craze ends.

I'm still waiting on the card I ordered in September, and at this point I'll be happy if I get it by the summer, heck I'm scared they will just cancel my order, considering it's more then double the price now

3 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Try 5 months... still nothing... if you look at the EVGA forums it is clear they do not care to serve the European market at all , at least not directly,  even the oh so great customer service seems awful...

well maybe ill take your word but i dont think that's the case because well, the massive shortage does make ordering on the european market take very long

My PC

My crazy solution to this problem is to pretend that the new "Nvidia RTX 3000 series" and "AMD RX 6000 series" don't exist.

Lol, maybe that is too crazy.

Gaming With a 4:3 CRT

System specs below

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700X with a Noctua NH-U9S cooler 
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M (Because it was cheap)
RAM: 32GB (4 x 8GB) Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz CL16
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti SC Blower Card
HDD: 7200RPM TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 1TB, External HDD: 5400RPM 2TB WD My Passport
SSD: 1tb Samsung 970 evo m.2 nvme
PSU: Corsair CX650M
Displays: ViewSonic VA2012WB LCD 1680x1050p @ 75Hz
Gateway VX920 CRT: 1920x1440@65Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@125Hz
Gateway VX900 CRT: 1920x1440@64Hz, 1600x1200@75Hz, 1200x900@100Hz, 960x720@120Hz (Can be pushed to 175Hz)

Keyboard: Thermaltake eSPORTS MEKA PRO with Cherry MX Red switches

2 hours ago, MadAnt250 said:

My crazy solution to this problem is to pretend that the new "Nvidia RTX 3000 series" and "AMD RX 6000 series" don't exist.

Lol, maybe that is too crazy.

doesn't work for me, I see my 3070 all the time,  it's so huge hard to pretend it doesn't exist ! 

Still while I generally understand waiting in this case I really don't the writing was on the wall on November/  December...

My card goes now for double what I paid if it's even available,  for example.

And no money is also not really a good reason if someone was interested at all,  that's what rates are for...its50 bucks more,   but comes with the advantage you don't actually need to pay right away.  🤷‍♀️

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity