Question for owners of new Phanteks Airflow cases - How fast does dust build up?

Hello everyone,

I'm currently in the market for a new case and the new Phanteks Airflow cases peaked my interest, mainly because of the glowing reviews from Gamers Nexus and other YouTubers.

I'm looking at the P360A in particular but it apparently doesn't have any dust filter on the front intake mesh. My PC setup is in my bedroom so dust is a concern. Owners of this case, or similar cases from Phanteks, how fast does the dust build up/how bad is it inside the case? How often would I need to be using my CompuCleaner to clear it out?

If you have other case recommendations for a similar price, £70 to £80, then please leave them in the comments too

Edit: as requested here's the fan layout, I'll be using the 2 included front fans and adding my own 2 exhausts to the back of the case. I've read that positive pressure is better to reduce the speed at which dust gathers inside so I'll be setting the exhausts to run at a slightly slower RPM than the intakes.

Thank you

The fan layout is going to matter for that.  Might need to be part of the question.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

In my head, if you know it's in a dusty area, you'd want the dust to build up. Less in the filters is more in the internals of the computer...

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

16 minutes ago, MustafaXIX said:

Hello everyone,

I'm currently in the market for a new case and the new Phanteks Airflow cases peaked my interest, mainly because of the glowing reviews from Gamers Nexus and other YouTubers.

I'm looking at the P360A in particular but it apparently doesn't have any dust filter on the front intake mesh. My PC setup is in my bedroom so dust is a concern. Owners of this case, or similar cases from Phanteks, how fast does the dust build up/how bad is it inside the case? How often would I need to be using my CompuCleaner to clear it out?

If you have other case recommendations for a similar price, £70 to £80, then please leave them in the comments too

Thank you

I received a prebuilt system around 3 months ago with the phanteks p418r, a case which is exclusive to CBPC or other system integrators, which is basically a ripoff of the p360a. I use it with an 120mm aio on the front in push/pull, another fan occupying the other front fan mount, and two fans exhausting on the top. Dust buildup inside the pc isn't bad, and I usually just swifter the exterior/interior it off every week to a month, and it goes back to looking almost new. I'd expect to have to do a "deeper clean-" where I'd actually take the time to clean/blow out the dust from the entire pc- every say 6-8 months. Of course, This'll depend on the environment that the pc is in. 

On a slightly unrelated note, the top fan mounts come with a filter, and you can actually stick it into the front panel. While the fit inside of the front panel isn't perfect, and might look a little janky, you might want to consider it. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

2 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

I received a prebuilt system around 3 months ago with the phanteks p418r, a case which is exclusive to CBPC or other system integrators, which is basically a ripoff of the p360a. I use it with an 120mm aio on the front in push/pull, another fan occupying the other front fan mount, and two fans exhausting on the top. Dust buildup inside the pc isn't bad, and I usually just swifter the exterior/interior it off every week to a month, and it goes back to looking almost new. I'd expect to have to do a "deeper clean-" where I'd actually take the time to clean/blow out the dust from the entire pc- every say 6-8 months. Of course, This'll depend on the environment that the pc is in. 

Thank you for this detailed reply. It's very helpful

9 minutes ago, Voluspa said:

In my head, if you know it's in a dusty area, you'd want the dust to build up. Less in the filters is more in the internals of the computer...

Why would I want more dust in my PC? I specifically mentioned that the case hasnt got filters on the intakes and was asking about the dust build up inside the case

12 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The fan layout is going to matter for that.  Might need to be part of the question.

Added. Thank u

13 minutes ago, MustafaXIX said:

Why would I want more dust in my PC? I specifically mentioned that the case hasnt got filters on the intakes and was asking about the dust build up inside the case

I thought you were talking about dust build up on the filters in more of a "Are the filters on this case good or not". My bad.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

Just now, Voluspa said:

I thought you were talking about dust build up on the filters in more of a "Are the filters on this case good or not". My bad.

No worries

Depends how clean your house is. Carpets pets, dry dusty part of the country, fabric curtains now fly screens in your house, lots of people coming in and hout. Lots of things increase dust build up not really a 'given time frame' filters or not 

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

1 hour ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

On a slightly unrelated note, the top fan mounts come with a filter, and you can actually stick it into the front panel. While the fit inside of the front panel isn't perfect, and might look a little janky, you might want to consider it. 

That’s really frequent cleaning for a PC.   If you set them up to be dust resistant they can go years. 

given the frequency of dusting it’s unlikely to be a problem period.  It might be worth investing in an electric blower to blow dust out of the fins and stuff if you’re doing it that often.  They’re normally only bought by various pros who have to do it a lot, but it sounds like you’re doing it a lot.  Doesn’t hurt anything.

The way to find out if it’s worth it is to figure out what percentage of a can of dust-off you use to clean the case.  Maybe say 1/4 can.  So you divide the cost of a can and see how long it will take to make the investment back. I let a machine go for 3 years once so for me a blower isn’t worth it.  Cans are more efficient. 

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

6 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

That’s really frequent cleaning for a PC.   If you set them up to be dust resistant they can go years. 

given the frequency of dusting it’s unlikely to be a problem period.  It might be worth investing in an electric blower to blow dust out of the fins and stuff if you’re doing it that often.  They’re normally only bought by various pros who have to do it a lot, but it sounds like you’re doing it a lot.  Doesn’t hurt anything.

The way to find out if it’s worth it is to figure out what percentage of a can of dust-off you use to clean the case.  Maybe say 1/4 can.  So you divide the cost of a can and see how long it will take to make the investment back. I let a machine go for 3 years once so for me a blower isn’t worth it.  Cans are more efficient. 

I like keeping my pc clean. I don't exactly have the best environment, as well. 🤷‍♂️

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

1 minute ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

I like keeping my pc clean. I don't exactly have the best environment, as well. 🤷‍♂️

No harm no foul.  Do what you like.  PC cleaning is pretty healthy as things go.  I’m just saying even if the thing sucks for dust you won’t have a problem 

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

you can buy a hair dryer with the cold button for like $10

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

dust wont have ant performance impact once so ever. the only time it dose is when it can build up in say the cpu heat sink slowing the fan but that's normally a mix of smoking or pets and never been dusted ever.

however re-pasting can get you better temps.

the more filters the higher the temps will be.

img.jpg

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

4 hours ago, MustafaXIX said:

he means that the dust on the filter can help keep dust out and you should just leave it on the filter but clean the rest.