Is a CX450 good enough for a ryzen 5 2600 and RTX 2060/GTX 1070?

Apocalyman

So right now I have a 1060 3gb and a ryzen 5 2600. I have a CX450 and I wonder if in the future when I upgrade to a 1070 if it will be enough or will I need a new PSU with 600w? thanks!

4 minutes ago, Apocalyman said:

So right now I have a 1060 3gb and a ryzen 5 2600. I have a CX450 and I wonder if in the future when I upgrade to a 1070 if it will be enough or will I need a new PSU with 600w? thanks!

usually i would ssay 550w is minimum, but what resolution? settings? and refresh rate? are you gonna be playin on

31 minutes ago, Apocalyman said:

yes you're totally fine using 450W. the system is only going to use about 370-410w under full load (which you probably wont even exceed on a daily basis)

hi, im renata bliss and am ur freestyle dance teacher

3 hours ago, FakeFBI said:

usually i would ssay 550w is minimum, but what resolution? settings? and refresh rate? are you gonna be playin on

Resolution 1080p settings depends on the FPS refresh rate 60 always

2 hours ago, 1ppOverheat said:

yes you're totally fine using 450W. the system is only going to use about 370-410w under full load (which you probably wont even exceed on a daily basis)

Alright great thank you 🙂

Anything below 550w is a waste of $$$. Get at least a decent 550w for a 1070. You want a decent 550w for a 1070. It gives you some needed headroom in the power dept.

Hello! so right now I have a ryzen 5 2600 and GTX 1060 3gb (and PSU is CX450)

Im thinking about upgrading my GPU in the future and I would like to know if I would need to upgrade my PSU when I get an RTX 2060/GTX 1070 in the future? (I dont intend to overclock)

Thank you! 🙂

4 minutes ago, Apocalyman said:

Hello! so right now I have a ryzen 5 2600 and GTX 1060 3gb (and PSU is CX450)

Im thinking about upgrading my GPU in the future and I would like to know if I would need to upgrade my PSU when I get an RTX 2060/GTX 1070 in the future? (I dont intend to overclock)

Thank you! 🙂

as long as you don't do any major overclocking you should be okay.

also make sure that the PSU has the white CX logo. If it's green then I would upgrade it. 

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

Just now, Downkey said:

as long as you don't do any major overclocking you should be okay.

also make sure that the PSU has the white CX logo. If it's green then I would upgrade it. 

Yes its the white CX logo and no overclocking AT ALL

2 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Should be but that is about where I would stop with that psu.

Awesome! 🙂

Should work just fine - just make sure that the GPU you're upgrading to only requires an 8-pin for extra power, as the CX450 only has a single 8-pin PCIe connector.

For instance, the Founders Edition RTX 2060 only requires an 8-pin for power (which would be alright):

power.jpg.25fe769707d836c1a75930e5c105a4f7.jpg

But the Strix 2060 requires one 8-pin and one 6-pin (so it wouldn't be an ideal choice):

img_7454.jpg.968c0e040a711668bdffc4f67c1aeca3.jpg

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

4 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Should work just fine - just make sure that the GPU you're upgrading to only requires an 8-pin for extra power, as the CX450 only has a single 8-pin PCIe connector.

For instance, the Founders Edition RTX 2060 only requires an 8-pin for power (which would be alright):

power.jpg.25fe769707d836c1a75930e5c105a4f7.jpg

But the Strix 2060 requires one 8-pin and one 6-pin (so it wouldn't be an ideal choice):

img_7454.jpg.968c0e040a711668bdffc4f67c1aeca3.jpg

Ah alright I see! thank you for telling me! 🙂

Here is our power supply recommendation:

• GeForce RTX 2060 Super - On your average system we recommend a 500 Watt power supply unit.
  • GeForce RTX 2070 Super - On your average system we recommend a 550 Watt power supply unit.

Taken from this website

GPU: RTX 2080 Super                                                                             Keyboard: Corsair K70 MK.2 RGB

CPU: i7-9700K                                                                                       MouseLogitech G PRO Wireless
RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengance PRO                                                         Headset: Corsair HS70 PRO Wireless

PSU: CX650F                                                                                         MousepadCorsair MM500 Extended 3XL
MOBO: Asus Prime Z390-A                                                                     ControllerDualSense 5

Case: Lian Li Lancool II                                                                          CameraCanon EOS M50

Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G5                                                                      CoolingCorsair H100i Platinum

The white Rabbit                                                                                           MicrophoneTrust GXT 252+

If that does work its going to be very close to not enough. If you do this with a 450w procede with caution. I would go with a nice 550 if you can. It should work but I 'personally' would invest in a better unit of 550 or higher for upgrades and general aging/use.

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

I think you should be fine using a 450W PSU as long as you don't OC the CPU. My Ryzen 5 2600 uses about 30-50W while gaming, and the 2060 Super uses about 175W, so within spec. If you're worried, you could undervolt the GPU and save 30-50W pretty easily. There are quite a few good videos that show you how using MSI Afterburner.

The more I learn, the more I realise I don't actually know anything. 

Recommendations: Lian Li 205m (sleek, pretty decent airflow for a non-mesh front panel and cheap), i5-10400f (Ryzen 5 3600 performance, 20% cheaper), Arctic P14 PWM fans, Logitech g305.

*** Threads merged ***

Please don't post multiple times about same thing. You asked essentially same thing first week ago.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, tishous said:

I think you should be fine using a 450W PSU as long as you don't OC the CPU. My Ryzen 5 2600 uses about 30-50W while gaming, and the 2060 Super uses about 175W, so within spec. If you're worried, you could undervolt the GPU and save 30-50W pretty easily. There are quite a few good videos that show you how using MSI Afterburner.

I am definitely not overclocking anything 🙂  I dont like to overclock! if undervolting the GPU can save some watts for a low cost of performance it would be awesome! thank you for the tip 🙂

On 2/15/2021 at 1:43 PM, Gorilla Warfare said:

Anything below 550w is a waste of $$$. Get at least a decent 550w for a 1070. You want a decent 550w for a 1070. It gives you some needed headroom in the power dept.

He already owns the CX450.

4 hours ago, Downkey said:

There's no such thing as a CX450 with a green logo (I assume you mean "CX" in green.)

7 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

There's no such thing as a CX450 with a green logo (I assume you mean "CX" in green.)

Ah I just remembered it's the CX430, not 450. Thanks for correcting me 

geometry is hard
b550 > x570