The US and the UK appear on "biggest enemies of the Internet" list

Reporters without Boarders is a non-profit organization which fights for the freedom of information and freedom of the press. They are known for their "Press Freedom Index" ranking which tracks how free the press is to spread information in different countries. They have consult status at the United Nations and was formed in 1985.

Both the US and the UK appear in their newly published "Enemies of the Internet 2014" list. The full list is:

Hopefully this will be a wake up call for a lot of people. Having the title "world champion of surveillance" (The UK) is not exactly a positive thing...

When your country is on the same list as North Korea and China (not to mention the other ones) then you are doing something very very wrong.

Sources and further reading: Salon, The Verge, Reporters without borders

its a miracle the country that doesnt spy on it citizens the most of every country in the world isnt on there.

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Yet the best place for cheap good internet is the US. :( If only if it rubbed off into Canada

I think its just a given that most major countries need intelligence agencies, I doubt there's much we can do to stop it.

It's what your country does with that information that is important.

Spying has been going on since long before the internet, long before the telephone, I'm pretty sure its older than than writing. 

Yet the best place for cheap good internet is the US. :( If only if it rubbed off into Canada

you get the best internet in South Korea :D

The best place for good cheap internet is the US? It's a lot of things but good and cheap are not words I would use to describe it.

you get the best internet in South Korea :D

I realize that I shouldn't have used 'best' as I was referring to my part of the world (The Americas).

The best place for good cheap internet is the US? It's a lot of things but good and cheap are not words I would use to describe it.

I can guarantee you it is a lot better than what we have in Canada. For the same price, you can get a much better plan in US than in Canada. If only Google Fiber was in a lot more areas... 

I realize that I shouldn't have used 'best' as I was referring to my part of the world (The Americas).

I can guarantee you it is a lot better than what we have in Canada. For the same price, you can get a much better plan in US than in Canada. If only Google Fiber was in a lot more areas... 

ok, I should've known that you knew that xD how "bad" is your connection?

ok, I should've known that you knew that xD how "bad" is your connection?

We pay ridiculous prices for a good connection at my parents place. Back at my place I rented at university, our internet cuts out at times. I also know people who have 'unlimited plan' but near the end of the month his speed gets ridiculously reduced.

We pay ridiculous prices for a good connection at my parents place. Back at my place I rented at university, our internet cuts out at times. I also know people who have 'unlimited plan' but near the end of the month his speed gets ridiculously reduced.

I mean the speeds 

It is ironic I guess because people like Tim Berners and Donald Davies (both from the UK) and the US Department of Defense funding and networks ARPANET, that the internet first emerged.  

North Korea?

The people in North Korea have internet :o

Only the very high up people in the gov't can access the proper internet. Everyone else has a smaller intranet all over North Korea as an internet replacement.

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

not a country doe

Shhhhhh.

My new rig build log:http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/80801-m-itx-pc/?p=1158887 Now finished with  970!                          Can anybody give me a freelancer?                  I need to transport more HYPBP.               Butt Imperium games                     RAINBOW .                   840 EVO still awesome                    The evil that is verizon has been vanquished!      ܝܘܚܢܢ ܒܝܬ ܐܦܪܝܡ