Cheap PC For Old Games

MRBROKEPC

Planning to build my own PC using used parts to play old games to get over the lockdown boredom, my ps5 does all the AAA games. Will an older I5 (3rd/4th Gen) with a semi decent graphic card play games such as Fallout 3 & New Vegas and similar games from that era okay? 

Cheers for any help, any more advice would be amazing

PS - Im in the UK so the buy the old Optiplex plan is useless as there all far too old or far too expensive 

I just upgraded from a 3570K and I can say that it faired extremely well when overclocked. Those games should run fine on even 2nd gen i5 with a mediocre GPU (like HD79XX series, GTX770 and better).

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Cheers, any more ideas on what might be a good CPU for the cheap, but ill have a look for a 3rd Gen CPU

2 minutes ago, MRBROKEPC said:

Cheers, any more ideas on what might be a good CPU for the cheap, but ill have a look for a 3rd Gen CPU

I would start by looking for motherboards first, finding a decent motherboard from that era is getting harder. Especially if you want a Z series motherboard for overclocking.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Shall I search for a good motherboard deal then fit my CPU around that? 

Just now, MRBROKEPC said:

Shall I search for a good motherboard deal then fit my CPU around that? 

It can be done both ways. I would avoid MSI boards, as almost all of them from that era have issues with RAM slots, RAM traces or RAM training. 

2 minutes ago, Levent said:

It can be done both ways. I would avoid MSI boards, as almost all of them from that era have issues with RAM slots, RAM traces or RAM training. 

What are your thoughts on the FX and A10 from AMD they are super cheap second hand at the moment, will be for gaming on games that are almost 10 years old now 

4 minutes ago, MRBROKEPC said:

What are your thoughts on the FX and A10 from AMD they are super cheap second hand at the moment, will be for gaming on games that are almost 10 years old now 

FX CPUs are absolutely garbage for gaming. I wouldn't even consider anything non Ryzen.

2 minutes ago, Levent said:

FX CPUs are absolutely garbage for gaming. I wouldn't even consider anything non Ryzen.

So its either Intel or Ryzen, Would a Ryzen with Vega 11 run older games okay? 

3 minutes ago, MRBROKEPC said:

Are there actually any good AM3 Socket CPUs? 

Depends on how you define 'good'.

Do you mean "a CPU which is definitely worth it to get nowadays!" then probably not, considering the prices of certain Intel chips (i.e. those on LGA 1150) and even second hand AM4 deals.

I believe the best are probably some Phenom X6 chips, or even FX chips if your board supports it, but nothing I would consider great value nowadays.

Your question is quite open ended, so I am going with a strong definite "perhaps.".

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

The Phenom II chips were good value in their day. That day being ~2010. There are none really worth buying now. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

3 minutes ago, minibois said:

Depends on how you define 'good'.

Do you mean "a CPU which is definitely worth it to get nowadays!" then probably not, considering the prices of certain Intel chips (i.e. those on LGA 1150) and even second hand AM4 deals.

I believe the best are probably some Phenom X6 chips, or even FX chips if your board supports it, but nothing I would consider great value nowadays.

Your question is quite open ended, so I am going with a strong definite "perhaps.".

Good as in running games from the early 2010s? 

1090T X6 Phenom II. 

Alternatively FX-8370E.

For AM3 platform 

3 minutes ago, MRBROKEPC said:

Well the Phenom x6 is really your best bet, if your board doesn't support FX.

You just have to consider if AM3 is the most logical platform to go for.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, minibois said:

Well the Phenom x6 is really your best bet, if your board doesn't support FX.

You just have to consider if AM3 is the most logical platform to go for.

Im building a project PC Under £150 that will run games such as fallout 3 and new vegas

Im building a project PC Under £150 that will run games such as fallout 3 and new vegas

Just to clarify, this is old school socket AM3, not AM3+ ?

I believe the fastest possible AM3 chip is Phenom x6 1100T. Keep in mind it's 125w... That's at the 3.2 GHz STOCK speed, and it runs very hot. You'll want to overclock it pretty far to handle anything current, and you'll probably need to invest in cooling the thing.

Does your project PC have to be an AM3 system, for nostalgia's sake or something? Because it's the literal last thing I would recommend if you just want the best gaming performance for £150.

1 minute ago, Aereldor said:

Just to clarify, this is old school socket AM3, not AM3+ ?

I believe the fastest possible AM3 chip is Phenom x6 1100T. Keep in mind it's 125w... That's at the 3.2 GHz STOCK speed, and it runs very hot. You'll want to overclock it pretty far to handle anything current, and you'll probably need to invest in cooling the thing.

Does your project PC have to be an AM3 system, for nostalgia's sake or something? Because it's the literal last thing I would recommend if you just want the best gaming performance for £150.

Nope that's just the cheapest Mobo we could find, I'll take any help

23 minutes ago, MRBROKEPC said:

God I hope you haven't already bought it. 

Get a Dell Optiplex desktop... Shouldn't be too hard to find one that has an i5 and 8GB of RAM for under 50 quid. Then you've got a hundred to spend on a GPU, and you could probably score a used GTX 1060. 

You've got to realize Socket AM3 is over 12 years old, and is from an era where CPUs made huge advances. It's unbelievably outdated. Like a pre-iPhone smartphone

For games from the 7th console generation era, I'd actually recommend striking for a Phenom II X3 or X4 of some sort. The former can be had for stupid cheap and are relatively easy to cool. Plus they're better than their FX counterparts!

Ask how I know.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

26 minutes ago, MRBROKEPC said:

And why can't a normal modern pc do this?

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

57 minutes ago, MRBROKEPC said:

So its either Intel or Ryzen, Would a Ryzen with Vega 11 run older games okay? 

IMO retro 2000s gaming would be fine on pretty much anything - if you want to skip a GPU then if a 2200g is cheap that would be a good choice.

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

26 minutes ago, MRBROKEPC said:

Cheap..... What about an Athlon II x4 640?

How good is the I3 4130 for playing older game such as both fallout 3 and new vegas and similar games to that? 

PS- It's being sold for £10

Can anyone tell me a cheap ITX build for playing older games such as fallout and skyrim and other games from that era?