last attempt on c++.

Hello, some of you may have seen me before on this forum, i mostly ask about HTML, but i have decided to learn C++.

I have wanted to learn C++ for a long time now and i have made a couple attempts on it, but i allways end up suicidal after a day or two.

I have gotten really bored with webdesign, and want to learn real programming.

The only thing i feel like i have learned from my previous attempts is what not to do.

What do you guys think is better from the list below?

-Video tutorials,

-online tutorials( like http://www.learncpp.com/)

-Books

or anything else?

i know that many will answer that it depends on the person, but i am asking generally.

Luckily i have a brother that is very good at C++ so i can ask him for help if i get stuck ( He is the creator of http://www.tseaudio.com and creates guitar amp programs )

i am looking for a good tutorial that is very noob friendly and doesn't move very fast.

any help would be greatly appreciated

System

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K @4.5GHz - 1.230v  RAM: HyperX Fury DDR4 4x4GB 2666MHz  MB: MSI X99S SLI PLUS  CASE: NZXT H440  CPU-COOLER: Fractal Design Kelvin S24  PSU: Corsair RM1000W w/ white sleeved cable kit  GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 ARMOR  MONITOR: LG 27GL850-B  STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2, Samsung 840 EVO 256GB,  WD Red 3TB

I would suggest all three, videos, online tutorials and books.

Hello, some of you may have seen me before on this forum, i mostly ask about HTML, but i have decided to learn C++.

I have wanted to learn C++ for a long time now and i have made a couple attempts on it, but i allways end up suicidal after a day or two.

The only thing i feel like i have learned from my previous attempts is what not to do.

-Video tutorials,

-Books

or anything else?

i know that many will answer that it depends on the person, but i am asking generally.

Luckily i have a brother that is very good at C++ so i can ask him for help if i get stuck ( He is the creator of http://www.tseaudio.com and creates guitar amp programs )

i am looking for a good tutorial that is very noob friendly and doesn't move very fast.

What exactly is your problem? You are just finding it hard to understand the basics?

If so, I would recommend a book over other things like videos and online tutorials.

Im not sure of any books specificly for C++, but the C K&R book is very good. You could take the concepts you learn from that and apply them to C++. Microsoft dont release any books, but have great online documentation.

Just stay away from online tutorials and videos. You dont want to pick up any bad habbits or errors from the people who make them. Stick to highly rated books and the official documentation for the language you are using.

Think i might try to find a book about learning C++ for beginners.

what book should i buy?

or are there online tutorials that are just as good so i dont have to spend money ?

System

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K @4.5GHz - 1.230v  RAM: HyperX Fury DDR4 4x4GB 2666MHz  MB: MSI X99S SLI PLUS  CASE: NZXT H440  CPU-COOLER: Fractal Design Kelvin S24  PSU: Corsair RM1000W w/ white sleeved cable kit  GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 ARMOR  MONITOR: LG 27GL850-B  STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2, Samsung 840 EVO 256GB,  WD Red 3TB

Think i might try to find a book about learning C++ for beginners.

what book should i buy?

or are there online tutorials that are just as good so i dont have to spend money ?

http://www.amazon.com/Standard-Library-Tutorial-Reference-2nd/dp/0321623215/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1395536894&sr=1-1&keywords=The+C%2B%2B+Standard+Library

Im sure you could find PDFs/Ebooks of it for cheaper than the paperbacks.

Being a Games Tech student, I worked in c++ for 18ish months. And while having some great support from tutors from time to time, my recommendation would be:

Give yourself a ridiculous goal. Something you know you'd need to spend years on alone, and work on different parts of the software one at the time, you don't even have to finish it completely. But use whatever you can to learn good coding practices first, and then the knowledge itself. I tried creating a game engine with Ogre3D as a base, stopped after 3 months but it was very useful in later courseworks.

For starters, in my 1st year at uni, I made a "roof pool" calculator, which takes roof durability and size, and then pool size, and calculates if it's possible to safely install a pool on that particular roof (WTF?)

And a bigger, much more challenging, 4x4 noughts and crosses/tic tac toe, with classes, pointers, basic inheritance and polymorphism included. All in console.

Google, Stack Overflow, cplusplus.com are your friends.

Good luck learning c++!

What exactly is your problem? You are just finding it hard to understand the basics?

If so, I would recommend a book over other things like videos and online tutorials.

Im not sure of any books specificly for C++, but the C K&R book is very good. You could take the concepts you learn from that and apply them to C++. Microsoft dont release any books, but have great online documentation.

Just stay away from online tutorials and videos. You dont want to pick up any bad habbits or errors from the people who make them. Stick to highly rated books and the official documentation for the language you are using.

Quick correction, Microsoft Press offers multiple books on C++

heard about this book called "jumping into C++".

read up on some of the reviews and it seems like a very good book.

i'm thinking about buying this :P

System

Spoiler

Try this book:  http://www.amazon.com/Primer-Plus-Edition-Developers-Library/dp/0321776402

It's very difficult for me to recommend any source material for beginners since I am still learning myself, but I have had a lot of practice with C++ over the past couple of years in school.  I had bought a number of textbooks.  Some are better than others, while a good number of them just flat out suck; but when I picked up C++ Primer Plus, I fell in love with the author's approach to the topic of learning a programming language.  Not only does Stephen Prata do an excellent job with organizing the chapters, but he provides clear and concise explanations and code examples for each topic.  As an added bonus, this book also explains the similarities/differences between C/C++ as you're reading.  It's very helpful to understand why certain syntax and methods were changed from C to C++. 

As with any book, it's only going to be worth the money if you put the time and effort into it.  I will always do each programming exercise at the end of each chapter.  This helps instill the chapter's lessons and topics in your head by practicing the skills Prata had just explained.  If you don't quite remember what tools you should use to solve the problem, simply flip back through the chapter and there will most definitely be an example written in C++ that he has provided in order to help you along. 

Again, I cannot say with 100% certainty that this book is amazing for everyone (including beginners).  I had a lot of experience already with C++ when I picked up this book.  Because of that experience, I was able to review a lot of topics that I hadn't fully grasped before picking it up.  Some reviews have stated that this book won't be good for beginners.  I cannot confirm or deny this.  Regardless, you should check it out at some point.  If you want to try a different book to start with, go for it.  Eventually, you should pick this book up. 

I would definitely suggest learning C first. It helps you understand the foundations of C++ since it is C with more stuff (but you want to avoid making it look like C). 

Don't buy a book, they are usually outdated. Online resources are so much better.

Don't buy a book, they are usually outdated. Online resources are so much better.

This is not true, while you can find some older, 'outdated' books around you can also stumble accross a tutorial that hasn't been updated in two years.

Anyways, the books reccomanded in this topic were all published in the last 2-3 years, and this is totally fine. The programming language doesn't change. The fundementals of the language is how it was decades ago. I have a few years old Java book at home and it is still very up to date, why wouldn't it be?

This is not true, while you can find some older, 'outdated' books around you can also stumble accross a tutorial that hasn't been updated in two years.

Anyways, the books reccomanded in this topic were all published in the last 2-3 years, and this is totally fine. The programming language doesn't change. The fundementals of the language is how it was decades ago. I have a few years old Java book at home and it is still very up to date, why wouldn't it be?

well programming languages get updated every once in a while, but basics don't change, so books are fine anyway

if you want to keep yourself up to date, you can just google for the latest additions to the language and learn how those new things work, no big deal

but for basics, books are gud

well programming languages get updated every once in a while, but basics don't change, so books are fine anyway

Yes that's what I meant, and since the OP is looking for a beginner books, it will be the basics that matter to him. (for now)

Then, once he has a solid understanding of the language, he can look around for more "modern" tutorials and projects to experiment. (that's what I usually do)

do you know javascript/ jquery? Cause if not I'd suggest you learn them because they add a whole other level of awesomeness if you know them with web design

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

-Video tutorials,

-Books

or anything else?

I learned from all three of those resources, but there's nothing that compares to learning by doing. You can use any of the traditional resources you listed above to get started, but after that the best thing to do is just start making something. Every project I work on I learn a ton of new skills, which just opens doors for me to work on larger and more exciting things. (Don't be afraid to Google for help!)