The MOST AVERAGE Gaming PC

James

I'm running a similar build (since 2013)

CPU: 4770

MOBO: Asus Z87i-Deluxe

RAM 16 GB Gskill

GPU: GTX 1070 TI 

This system has been rock solid since the day it was built.  Only upgrades have been RAM (8 GB to 16 GB) and the GPU (started with a GTX 570 -> GTX970 -> GTX1070 TI).  I only game at 1080p, so my whole system is nice and quiet.  I'd love to upgrade, but I just can't justify the expense and frustration of trying to source the parts I want. :)

I'd really like to know how you guys benchmarked TF2, because these numbers look wrong.

You know what? I've been vaguely considering maybe possibly saving up for a new PC some time soon, market conditions permitting. This video had me settle down with an inner peace that my current PC's just fine today. Basically i7-4790K @ 4.2, 24 GB RAM (was 32 before but a case's poor airflow design baked it to death), GTX 1080Ti, on an ASUS Z97-K/CSM that I've been meaning to swap in a spare Z97-A I had set aside for a long time.

11 hours ago, James said:

Buy NZXT H510 Case (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/Ws7WGe

Buy Hyper 212 Evo v2 CPU Cooler (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/s10a0sy

Buy Corsair CX650 PSU (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/kBxRvkA

Buy Intel Core i7-4770K CPU (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/Ydah0

Buy EVGA GTX 1060 SC Gaming GPU (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/pU9La

Buy Asus Z87I-Deluxe (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/ywQOuW

Using the 2021 Steam Hardware Survey, we built the machine that apparently you’re all gaming on. It may not have Ray Tracing, but it's still pretty good!

What about us people who has to drain the blood out of the Integrated Gpu on laptops for a bare minimum of 40FPS? 😢

8 hours ago, SolarNova said:

A common argument is the whole 'its no longer supported by MS' doesn't concern me, i;ve literally used machines for years with outdated un-updated OS's , no Anti Viruses etc and had zero problems, 'not so common any more' sense is a far more effective anti virus than a program.

That's the same approach as many companys do it. And when something goes sideways it's already too late. (Like the florida waterplant story that happened a few days ago) Yes, common sense is of course the most important thing when it comes to internet security, but a up-to-date system and a good antimalware app doesn't hurt either. Everyone can make mistakes, and it's good to have these failsaves when it comes to that.

While Windows 10 has a bunch of datamining "features" that are enabled by default, most of them can easily be disabled, you just have to find the options in the settings. You don't even need to go as deep as the registry to disable them.

The only reason to use older windows that makes sense imo is when you need some software that doesn't run anymore with newer versions. In this case i'd only use these machines when they're not connected to the internet. There are ways malicious software can be installed without the user doing anything. Otherwise it's just a case of "being scared of something new". The overall OS experience is just better than any windows we had before. And i've used 98, 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 and 10.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

2 hours ago, thug_thanos said:

What about us people who has to drain the blood out of the Integrated Gpu on laptops for a bare minimum of 40FPS? 😢

Then i'd say be happy with your 40 FPS. Depending on the game this can be quite playable.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

My statistics teacher would be screaming this PC in many ways isn't the "average gaming PC", but rather the "mode gaming PC", as you guys chose the most picked parts (like the GTX 1060 and H510) and not the 'average' parts.

With something like RAM it's pretty easy to get the average, as that is just a number (which you can divide the sum by the total amount of participants and get the closest matching kit), but with a graphics card you just chose the most common one; which is the mode and not the average.

I dunno, just something I thought about.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

12 hours ago, FakeKGB said:

Again, that was the launch release.

Windows 10 1507 is very different from 20H2 - it asks you before restarting, etc.

I see a lot of Windows 10 haters hating the launch release, and thinking that the newest is exactly the same.

Trust, once broken, is almost impossible to regain.

MS showed time and again that telling the truth about what their OS does, isn't important.

Here's one for you:

By default, Defender won't allow you to modify the host file to block MS servers and all their telemetry. This alone tells me all I need to know about how much I trust them still.

Here's another lovely little tidbit:

Win10 LTSC Enterprise edition comes without all that crap at all.

No Cortana, no forced data collection

No live Tiles

No store

No telemetry or spyware

Security updates only.

Still runs fine (garbage UI aside) without all that shit that MS says it needs.

hmmm......

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

2 hours ago, minibois said:

My statistics teacher would be screaming this PC in many ways isn't the "average gaming PC", but rather the "mode gaming PC", as you guys chose the most picked parts (like the GTX 1060 and H510) and not the 'average' parts.

With something like RAM it's pretty easy to get the average, as that is just a number (which you can divide the sum by the total amount of participants and get the closest matching kit), but with a graphics card you just chose the most common one; which is the mode and not the average.

I dunno, just something I thought about.

On top of that the game selection is pure nonsense as well.

According to steamdb which likely gets its data from steams api, there is an average of 4-7 million people in 600 games at any moment. Linus and gang picked what equals at most 2.3 million of those on that day, which means about 1/3 of all the gamers on the platform at most*. Now a lot of the games on the top 100 the hardware in the video will run smoothly, however unless Linus randomly bumped into the right hardware for the top 5 games that are being played on this video is quite meaningless, still meaningless for the average gamer as well.

What LTT should have done is randomly picked 5 games in the top 100 games based on their 24 hour peak, keep CSGO fine, but random everything else. It would have created a more reliable data point, unless they deliberately chose games that they knew the hardware would play easily.

Edit:* Those numbers are based on in game and not unique people so if 600k users are in game 24/7 (never closes the game) that seriously skews the numbers on steam.

-= Topic Cleaned =-

Keep comments in compliance with the Community Standards.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

11 hours ago, Egg-Roll said:

On top of that the game selection is pure nonsense as well.

According to steamdb which likely gets its data from steams api, there is an average of 4-7 million people in 600 games at any moment. Linus and gang picked what equals at most 2.3 million of those on that day, which means about 1/3 of all the gamers on the platform at most*. Now a lot of the games on the top 100 the hardware in the video will run smoothly, however unless Linus randomly bumped into the right hardware for the top 5 games that are being played on this video is quite meaningless, still meaningless for the average gamer as well.

What LTT should have done is randomly picked 5 games in the top 100 games based on their 24 hour peak, keep CSGO fine, but random everything else. It would have created a more reliable data point, unless they deliberately chose games that they knew the hardware would play easily.

Edit:* Those numbers are based on in game and not unique people so if 600k users are in game 24/7 (never closes the game) that seriously skews the numbers on steam.

I don't agree, I think their selection of the top 5 was fine. Like it or not, a huge percentage of people who want a gaming PC just want it to play a relatively small set of the most popular games. It used to be a stereotype that there were a lot of console gamers who literally only bought a console to play the yearly Call of Duty and Madden, well the truth is there's a sizable segment of PC gamers who don't have a much wider repertoire than that. 

I think the biggest flaw in their method was only looking at games on Steam. I get that it's based on the Steam hardware survey so there's some logic to it, but if we want to see how the "median" gaming PC in 2020-2021 performs in the most popular games of 2020-2021, that means they really also should have tested non-Steam titles Fortnite, Valorant, and League of Legends.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

On 2/14/2021 at 11:00 AM, James said:

Buy NZXT H510 Case (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/Ws7WGe

Buy Hyper 212 Evo v2 CPU Cooler (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/s10a0sy

Buy Corsair CX650 PSU (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/kBxRvkA

Buy Intel Core i7-4770K CPU (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/Ydah0

Buy EVGA GTX 1060 SC Gaming GPU (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/pU9La

Buy Asus Z87I-Deluxe (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/ywQOuW

Using the 2021 Steam Hardware Survey, we built the machine that apparently you’re all gaming on. It may not have Ray Tracing, but it's still pretty good!

This review pisses me off, you guys need to be bared from doing reviews of hardware that no one can get a hold of. Crypto has made it impossible to even buy a 1060. Stop wasting our time with useless reviews. USE YOUR INFLUENCE and fix this god damned industry. Cards are not released unless they are available pure and simple, i am bringing back an old word. Vapourware, your reviewing vapourware it is a FRAUD!

58 minutes ago, Hellimod said:

USE YOUR INFLUENCE and fix this god damned industry. 

Hey miners, stop mining, Linus said so!

Hey GPU manufacturers and semiconductor fabs working at maximum capacity, snap your fingers and produce more chips, Linus said so!

Hey global pandemic wrecking supply chains, stop being a global pandemic, Linus said so!

Why are the people so pissed at Linus always the same ones who think he has god-like powers? Guess it's like "How dare Superman go on a date with Lois Lane when there's more people to save?" 

The 1060 has been out for five years. It's not "vaporware," it's a product literally millions of people have purchased, that's the point of the video. Would you rather see another review of a new high-end card that's even more "impossible" to buy? If anything this video shows that the latest hardware isn't relevant for a large segment of PC gamers, and that you can still have an enjoyable PC gaming experience on hardware that's years old.

If you're trying to get into PC gaming right now and find a cheap card for your first build, I sympathize. Bad time to get into the hobby. In the meantime, what do you want Linus to do, just stop making videos and lay off all his staff until you can buy a GPU? Who is going to "bar" him from making videos about stuff you don't like? Nobody's forcing you to "waste your time" with his "useless" videos that you get for free. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

so my question is should i buy an average gaming pc or should i build one? a little backgroung, im pretty damn ignorant when it comes to computers lol, also im more into retro games but i like playing new games also but not competivley just to fuck around. ive always been a console guy but i dont wanna be locked in having to upgrade with every new gen. So just throwing that out there and seein what comes back, thanks in advance for any reasonable insight

Well to start with hello. Im fairly new to pc's. I got a alienware 17r5 with the 1060 in it 2 yrs ago. Was perfectly happy being a laptop guy. Decided to get a new 144hz 1440p. Turns out that lil ol 1060 didn't wanna push many fps in 1440. Soo now I'm running the same laptop. 2 1440p 144hz rocksoul monitors. I7-8750h, 16gb 2200hz ram, 1tb ssd,1tb hdd. And my pride and joy rx5700xt. Boy the new card walks all over the 1060

@demonseed7 your topic has been merged with the appropriate subject topic. Please know there is an official topic in the forum for each video produced on YT. 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER