Ryzen 5 5600x or Ryzen 7 3800xt?

Hello there!

I have this dilemma that has been bothering me for a while.

I need to upgrade my current PC with a new Motherboard, RAM and CPU. I already chose the Motherboard (Asus Rog Strix x570-e) and the Ram (Corsair Vengeance 2x16 3600mhz), but I have no idea what to choose between the R5 and the R7.

In my country, the R5 is 366€ and the R7 is 338€. I need this system to last at least 3 years and I have currently a GTX 1060 6GB that I will probably upgrade next year.

Based on what I wrote, what would you do in my situation?

4 minutes ago, PlayStation 2 said:

Simple question: does your workload benefit from an 8-core CPU?

Does a Dual Monitor setup benefit from a 8 core CPU? I don't stream but I like keeping other programs open on the second monitor while I game. 

1 minute ago, Royal Guard said:

Does a Dual Monitor setup benefit from a 8 core CPU? I don't stream but I like keeping other programs open on the second monitor while I game. 

Not that I'm aware of.

My Ryzen 5 3600 handles 2 monitors just fine.

elephants

1 minute ago, Royal Guard said:

Meh, not really. If you don't think you'll be doing anything that really would benefit from an 8-core CPU, I'd go for the 5600X as it has a single-core performance advantage over the 3800XT... which, in of itself, doesn't have bad single-core performance.

Source: I own a 3800XT. It's serving me well.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

3 minutes ago, PlayStation 2 said:

Meh, not really. If you don't think you'll be doing anything that really would benefit from an 8-core CPU, I'd go for the 5600X as it has a single-core performance advantage over the 3800XT... which, in of itself, doesn't have bad single-core performance.

Source: I own a 3800XT. It's serving me well.

How do you think the 3800XT is going to age? Did you overclock your 3800XT? If yes, by how much?

As a user of a 6 core cpu, i can say it's enough for all my task, my cpu never ran out of juice, in gaming or productivity (video editing).

I say get the 5600x, 2 cores difference is not that much, you won't feel it.

I will jump to higher core probably to 12 or more when i need to, 8 is just to little to make a difference.

Multi monitor does not relate to what cpu you have. It's the GPU job to support it. If a gpu have 4 output, then 4 monitor is what you can have.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

2 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

As a user of a 6 core cpu, i can say it's enough for all my task, my cpu never ran out of juice, in gaming or productivity (video editing).

I will jump to higher core probably to 12 or more when i need to, 8 is just to little to make a difference.

Multi monitor does not relate to what cpu you have. It's the GPU job to support it. If a gpu have 4 output, then 4 monitor is what you can have.

Thank you for your response!

13 minutes ago, Royal Guard said:

How do you think the 3800XT is going to age? Did you overclock your 3800XT? If yes, by how much?

I run it at stock clocks, just with lower voltages. My 1700X lasted me quite a while and I suspect the 3800XT would last you at least 5 years, if not more.

48 minutes ago, PlayStation 2 said:

Simple question: does your workload benefit from an 8-core CPU?

I don't get the thinking that you 'need to have a workload that can use 8-cores' to justify having one, yet awards & plaudits were heaped on the likes of the i9-9900K for being (of its' time) best-in-class, while being an 8-core CPU that was ungodly expensive for its' time.

Why can't someone have an 8-core CPU 'because they can afford one'...?

/hijack.

EDIT:

Not much outside of productivity 'needs' eight or more cores, so should users outside those fields be 'restricted' to four cores or less...??

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

Did you test boot it, before you built in into the case?

WHY NOT...?!

13 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

I don't get the thinking that you 'need to have a workload that can use 8-cores' to justify having one, yet awards & plaudits were heaped on the likes of the i9-9900K for being (of its' time) best-in-class, while being an 8-core CPU that was ungodly expensive for its' time.

/hijack.

if you're sacrificing single core performance (which matters in cpu bound games) for cores you dont need, it's kinda silly

so it's still a valid question to ask

i own a 3600 and 3900x, and i like to multi tasks while playing game on 2 displays on both rigs

both experience are quite similar, for games today at least

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

8 minutes ago, Eighjan said:

/hijack.

EDIT:

Not much outside of productivity 'needs' eight or more cores, so should users outside those fields be 'restricted' to four cores or less...??

I mean, it's not that someone can't, but rather, what would be more purposeful for their needs. Usually, I wouldn't care much about that either, but in the context of "newer CPU with less cores vs. older CPU with more cores", I wanted to gauge whether or not single-core speed or multi-core flexibility was useful for the OP.

Don't think for a second that I'm a regular joe who bitches about people buying more than what they need, because I don't care that much. I mainly was wondering if the newer CPU would be better.

41 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Sticking with what you have until code requires you to change to a part that needs more cores ends up trapping you in an obsolescence loop... where you find that by the time you 'have to swap' you end up with a bigger budget to find to buy more parts to assist the upgrade.

7 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

is you're sacrificing single core performance (which matters in cpu bound games) for cores you dont need, it's kinda silly

so it's still a valid question to ask

When the 9900K came out nothing mainstream 'needed' 8-cores but '5.3GHz' was nice to have (even if 7-cores were wasted).

Maybe what we need is a generation of low core count/high IPC CPU's... rather than vice versa...

I frequently edit any posts you may quote; please check for anything I 'may' have added.

WHY NOT...?!

The 5600x has so much faster single core performance that it almost catches up in multi core, so I'd go for that pretty much no matter what workload you have.

1 hour ago, Royal Guard said:

Hello there!

I have this dilemma that has been bothering me for a while.

I need to upgrade my current PC with a new Motherboard, RAM and CPU. I already chose the Motherboard (Asus Rog Strix x570-e) and the Ram (Corsair Vengeance 2x16 3600mhz), but I have no idea what to choose between the R5 and the R7.

In my country, the R5 is 366€ and the R7 is 338€. I need this system to last at least 3 years and I have currently a GTX 1060 6GB that I will probably upgrade next year.

Back on topic; if both are easily available (ideally from the same store) go for best value for money.

The same 'board 'should' (BIOS update dependant) support both CPU's... the only 'spanner/wrench' in the works is the (highly likely) prospect of AM5 putting in an appearance in the next 12mths.  Once it does, anything AM4 based will start getting the 'out-of-date' "tax" added to it - along with the dwindling supply that's associated with it - so unexpected failures may get costly...

WHY NOT...?!

1 hour ago, Royal Guard said:

I need this system to last at least 3 years and I have currently a GTX 1060 6GB that I will probably upgrade next year.

IF your plan is for your system to last for the next 3 years the go for the 5600X.

IF your plan is for your system to last a bit longer then go for the 3800X/XT but the best option would be a 5800X. Games could end up taking advantage of 8 cores to the point where there will be a noticeable difference between performance in games between 6 and 8 cores, but by that time you might be better served with a newer cheaper CPU.

I'd personally say 4 cores 8 threads is the absolute minimum in 2021 and 6 cores 12 threads is a healthy medium. Even an Intel 10 core would be a nice option - this all depends on the costs, of course @Royal Guard.

But like I said, if you plan to upgrade again in a few (3) years there's really no reason to buy the 3800 in my opinion.

Cab you get your hands on a zen 3 5600? In my country it has been sold out for a while. The 5800 is not so popular and you can get one quite easy. If your price range for a GPU is GTX 1060 like. I would say go for the 6 core and put your money in a better GPU. Hardware unboxed gave same tip if I remember correct. This will apply at least if you are non competetive gamer at least. If gaming is your job you want the best of best

-> Moved to CPUs, Motherboards and Memory

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

18 hours ago, Kopaka said:

The 5600x has so much faster single core performance that it almost catches up in multi core, so I'd go for that pretty much no matter what workload you have.

not quite, my 3800xt was still about 20% faster compared to 5600x for all-core cinebench r20. just one anecdote.