ryzen 5600x in TrueNAS ??

bigluke82

Ok so right now me nas is running 
Ryzen 5 1600AF
MSI x470 gaming plus max
64gb ddr4 2666 
Intel i350-t2
gtx750 ti in it right now for tuning the fans headless most of the time
4x Kingston a400 240gb SSD’s log/coach (€20 for all 4 new in box)
4x 3tb iron wolf nas hdd raidz plus 1 hots spear
6x 1tb random 2.5 inch laptop hdd’s raidz plus 2x hot spears (I have a box full of them)
Right now I have a 5600x in my main pc I wanted Ryzen 5000 and I love it but could not get a 5900x at the time but I now have a 5900x coming tomorrow so I will have a leftover 5600 x is it worth putting in my nas ? the bios already supports it as I had it on there before I got my x570 board 
I manly just use it for sheared storage was cheaper to build out of old bits that spec my M1 mac mini with a larger drive plus really handy once you have one, I do run a couple of vm’s on it from time to time just to try stuff out and will be moving my pi-hole over to it at some point 
Whichever chip is left over will be going into a spear parts build and being sold off as I enough parts left to knock a half descent rig together before it all becomes outdated 

I think it's overkill for a nas to even use 1600, unless you're serving more than 10 people at once.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

5 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

I think it's overkill for a nas to even use 1600, unless you're serving more than 10 people at once.

Even then it's not an issue. We have virtualized file servers serving a hundred people on 2 CPU cores and 4GB RAM. Works just fine.

File servers don't need a lot of RAM or a ton of CPU 🙂

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

You don't list what you are using it for beyond "Shared Storage".  If its just being used as a file server and literally nothing else, then it makes zero sense to use a 5600x.

If however, you want to run some plugins like Plex on it, then 5600x is a good deal.  Plenty of CPU power to handle the transcoding aspect.

Otherwise, leave it alone if its running fine.

Home PC: Apple M1 Mini, 16gb, 1TB, 10Gig-E.  Adobe CC and Ripping things + Daily stuff.

Gaming PC: Ryzen 7 5800x, 32GB, Nvidia RTX 3080Ti stuffed into a Corsair 380T.

Asgard the FreeNAS Plex Server: AMD EPYC 7443p 24 Core, SuperMicro H12SSL-CT Mobo, 256GB DDR4 3200mhz, Norco 4224 Rack Mount. 100TB+ TrueNAS Core.

Toys:

2017 Focus RS | Frozen White | Daily Driver

1989 Pontiac TransAm | GM Triple White | Heads/Cammed LT1 + T56 swap | Suspension goodies up the wazoo. | HPDE Weekend Warrior toy.

6 hours ago, Thirdgen89GTA said:

You don't list what you are using it for beyond "Shared Storage".  If its just being used as a file server and literally nothing else, then it makes zero sense to use a 5600x.

If however, you want to run some plugins like Plex on it, then 5600x is a good deal.  Plenty of CPU power to handle the transcoding aspect.

Otherwise, leave it alone if its running fine.

I don’t bother with plex as every tv has ether a pc or a pi 4 8gb attached to it but yes the sheared storage is used for films and tv shows played strait over the network not sure it’s classed as streaming more file shearing and 5 nic’s in there set up as lagg1 I’ve not got proper link aggregation set up just load balanced but there’s more nic’s than people in household so we always got gigabit connection  

to be honest i was going to sell it i put it on for €300 last night and got floaded with messages offing me €200 and people wanting it delivered and got called a C**T for telling someone i wouldnt take €150 and ride almost 2 hours to deliver it to them and install it for them so i took it down and put the 1600af in the rig thats conected to the tv in the living room as i had a a320 board laying around and borowed 32gb of ram from mty server till a 16gb kit comes that ive ordered just need to get a AIO for the server as the water cooling has also ended up coming out and the i want it silent 

1137478850_Screenshot2021-02-13at03_45_16.png

149041240_743584263243336_8448598136046241161_o.jpg

To be honest, I don't think I could go back to pure file share/Kodi style playback.  While I had my Kodi installation done up pretty slick with a great theme and some epic poster art, in the end its really freaking nice to have a shared library across every device with all the metadata, play history..etc.

Even the 1600AF can handle Plex duties just fine.  My 4790k has no issues, even with multiple clients.  I can deal with about 8 concurrent streams, which is about 2x the number I've ever had in actual use.  Its not as snappy as it used to be, but I have more H265 content now than I did before and that requires more CPU to decode.

Home PC: Apple M1 Mini, 16gb, 1TB, 10Gig-E.  Adobe CC and Ripping things + Daily stuff.

Gaming PC: Ryzen 7 5800x, 32GB, Nvidia RTX 3080Ti stuffed into a Corsair 380T.

Asgard the FreeNAS Plex Server: AMD EPYC 7443p 24 Core, SuperMicro H12SSL-CT Mobo, 256GB DDR4 3200mhz, Norco 4224 Rack Mount. 100TB+ TrueNAS Core.

Toys:

2017 Focus RS | Frozen White | Daily Driver

1989 Pontiac TransAm | GM Triple White | Heads/Cammed LT1 + T56 swap | Suspension goodies up the wazoo. | HPDE Weekend Warrior toy.

On 2/13/2021 at 3:21 AM, Thirdgen89GTA said:

To be honest, I don't think I could go back to pure file share/Kodi style playback.  While I had my Kodi installation done up pretty slick with a great theme and some epic poster art, in the end its really freaking nice to have a shared library across every device with all the metadata, play history..etc.

Even the 1600AF can handle Plex duties just fine.  My 4790k has no issues, even with multiple clients.  I can deal with about 8 concurrent streams, which is about 2x the number I've ever had in actual use.  Its not as snappy as it used to be, but I have more H265 content now than I did before and that requires more CPU to decode.

I've recently gone to NZB usage, and am still using my emby server with it, and when I recently switched some stuff on my NAS and had to re-do my emby server and use kodi for a while again, noticed that kodi still showed which files have been played fine... it's just the added benefits with emby/plex to automatically see what media you have recently used/next up etc that's essentially the very useful part. I used XBMC for a great number of years (ever since orig xbox I modded), and only switched to plex about 5/6 years ago IIRC, then recently Emby around a year ago maybe. I love Emby more than plex, but could easily switch back to KODI no problem really.... in fact for a while when I used plex and had problems with playback on some 4K files found they played fine in KODI. Since switching to Emby and updating my audio hardware haven't had any probems with playback on any files even massive 4K 10bit DTS etc files.... I think the probems I had with plex though were more to do with the audio transcoding maybe though before I updated my audio hardware, and not plex itself to be fair. But I do find that I don't get ANY loading/streaming icons and pausing before playing with Emby, that I did with plex.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini