No, flying cars are not airplanes

_princess_
2 hours ago, SGT-AMD said:

That means that you are trusting the monkey at the airport to fly it. Personally, I would rather have a professional in the monkeys seat any day.

Self driving cars are very young, Self operating aircraft is probably not here yet, so it too is very young, Auto pilot works well, but it can fail.

(Consumer Level)

21 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

Of course I'm trusting the monkey at the airport to fly it. They were trained for it. They are licensed for it.
But the regular Joe and Jane's who barely remembers their driving lessons ? I wouldn't trust them with a flying coffin. 

You still need a pilot's license to drive a flying car it's not that anybody just can have a go at it... It has been mentioned in the first tab. 

elon can you make cat girls now?

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

5 hours ago, papajo said:

So flying cars are airplanes. 

No, they aren't.

An airplane is a vehicle designed for the air and the air only, and only moves on the ground to pick up and drop off passengers, and to leave and get into the air.

A flying car is a vehicle that is designed to move either on the ground or the air.

elephants

11 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

No, they aren't.

An airplane is a vehicle designed for the air and the air only, and only moves on the ground to pick up and drop off passengers, and to leave and get into the air.

A flying car is a vehicle that is designed to move either on the ground or the air.

image.thumb.png.5053832209908c47a3bd099df7e39026.png

Nowhere in the definition does it say it needs to only be a flying vehicle. It's an Aircraft.

Now what is an aircraft?
image.png.3acd4f6fb1ff4ec6d17c6abfcebe7b67.png

Can be anything, from an airplane, an helicopter or a balloon. As long as it can fly.

As such, a flying car is technically an airplane, if it has wings that are used to achieve lift.
If it doesn't have wings, it's an Aircraft and not an airplane.

Case in point, this is an airplane, and a car

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

58 minutes ago, TetraSky said:

image.thumb.png.5053832209908c47a3bd099df7e39026.png

Nowhere in the definition does it say it needs to only be a flying vehicle. It's an Aircraft.

Now what is an aircraft?
image.png.3acd4f6fb1ff4ec6d17c6abfcebe7b67.png

Can be anything, from an airplane, an helicopter or a balloon. As long as it can fly.

As such, a flying car is technically an airplane, if it has wings that are used to achieve lift.
If it doesn't have wings, it's an Aircraft and not an airplane.

Case in point, this is an airplane, and a car

That's what I would call  critical thinking 😉

9 hours ago, ragnarok0273 said:

and the air only

Nothing ever said this.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

This is like tram or subway is not train topic.

May be this kind of unidentified flying object need a new name

9 hours ago, Age of 9394 said:

This is like tram or subway is not train topic.

May be this kind of unidentified flying object need a new name

Yea and I follow the rule that if a guy is significantly more achieved in a particular field than I am and has 100 times my networth or more than mine  and talks about something particularly relating to his industry and I find it strange that odds are that probably I am the one being wrong 😛  (unless -and while exhausting all my mental capacity to excuse what he said but cant figure a logical argument to support his sayings - I can prove conflict of interest to showcase that he said that because it suits his agenda which is not the case here ) 

On 2/4/2021 at 5:34 AM, Mark Kaine said:

well I hate the guy as much as everyone else, but a broken clock is right once a day (depending on your time format even twice a day) and, well, "flying cars"  *are* airplanes. 🤷🏼

How can you hate Elon? He is a great guy, I hope he rules America one day.

I simply disagree with his stance on this particular issue.

On 2/3/2021 at 11:18 PM, _princess_ said:

Lets break it down to the basic truths.

Flying cars are not airplanes.

Airplanes have low level of mobility and are generally suited for long distance travel, with coordinated and long wait times due to congestion, flying cars on the other hand would have high mobility, the ability to rotate on a point, fast local transportation and low levels of congested traffic.

Argument by repetition has been very common over the last few years but it’s just as bad a methodology as it always has been.  There were actual pre-Christian Greek philosophers that complained about it.  It may even be its own logical fallacy.  I’ve tried to memorize the list of logical fallacies maybe a dozen times.  It never sticks. There have been attempts to make flying car like things that have been aero planes, helicopters, and most lately many rotor quadcopters with or without ducted fan.  One of the more recent things that was called a flying car that was an airplane was kind of interesting.  It was effectively a highway capable folding airplane. The point was that hanger space and avgas are ridiculously expensive.  An airplane you can drive to the runway, run on automotive fuel, and drive home again allows people not quite rich enough to own an airplane to own an airplane.  Does it mean vtol?  That thing wasn’t vtol.  You can vital piper cub though with nothing but a well braces telephone pole.  Popular mechanics had a piece about that thing too. It was back in the 60’s though.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

32 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Argument by repetition has been very common over the last few years but it’s just as bad a methodology as it always has been.  There were actual pre-Christian Greek philosophers that complained about it.  It may even be its own logical fallacy.  I’ve tried to memorize the list of logical fallacies maybe a dozen times.  It never sticks. There have been attempts to make flying car like things that have been aero planes, helicopters, and most lately many rotor quadcopters with or without ducted fan.  One of the more recent things that was called a flying car that was an airplane was kind of interesting.  It was effectively a highway capable folding airplane. The point was that hanger space and avgas are ridiculously expensive.  An airplane you can drive to the runway, run on automotive fuel, and drive home again allows people not quite rich enough to own an airplane to own an airplane.  Does it mean vtol?  That thing wasn’t vtol.  You can vital piper cub though with nothing but a well braces telephone pole.  Popular mechanics had a piece about that thing too. It was back in the 60’s though.

yes i agree, that was not a real argument i posted the real argument in small font underneath.

i have been giving this more consideration, although I think Elon musk is still incorrect, I have expanded my definition of flying car to also include cars that can transform into airplanes. A car that transforms into an airplane does not necessarily have to rotate on a point while flying, like my previous definition.

2 minutes ago, _princess_ said:

yes i agree, that was not a real argument i posted the real argument in small font underneath.

And I didn’t even see it.  Argh. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

And I didn’t even see it.  Argh. 

oh lol

2 minutes ago, _princess_ said:

[...]

I have expanded my definition of flying car to also include cars that can transform into airplanes.

[...]

... If it's an airplane, then, it's an airplane ... Or have I missed something??

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

On 2/4/2021 at 4:34 AM, Mark Kaine said:

well I hate the guy as much as everyone else, but a broken clock is right once a day (depending on your time format even twice a day) and, well, "flying cars"  *are* airplanes. 🤷🏼

Twice a day is the saying.  A lot of people don’t hate Elon. Or at least didnt.  There has been a pretty concentrated anti Elon campaign ever since he started selling cars.  that stuff is getting some traction at the moment.  Perhaps it has new members. 

1 minute ago, wkdpaul said:

... If it's an airplane, then, it's an airplane ... Or have I missed something??

The problem is there are really only three things that put an object in the air in a non ballistic trajectory. Rockets,  jets, and propellers. Propellers and jets to some degree use airfoils, and even rockets need them if they don’t want to be ballistic. There are airplanes that have used all of them.  There’s polybridge falling roads too though I guess.  The hand of god playing tidly winks? (Has never actually played that game and knows little about it other than it involves flipping certain no longer used denominations of coins using another coin) 

Just now, SGT-AMD said:

The Plane Boss, The Plane....

Oh wow.  There’s a 70’s reference.  That dude eventually committed suicide. 

8 minutes ago, _princess_ said:

i have been giving this more consideration, although I think Elon musk is still incorrect, I have expanded my definition of flying car to also include cars that can transform into airplanes. A car that transforms into an airplane does not necessarily have to rotate on a point while flying, like my previous definition.

Rotate on a point  describes a Helicopter not an airplane.

Before we get too carried away I feel I must clarify something.

I believe I unfairly associated the statement to Elon when I think it was actually the Narrator saying the statement that flying cars are airplanes. Going to edit the op.

On 2/4/2021 at 12:18 AM, _princess_ said:
5 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

That is correct. I was defining a flying car not airplane.

7 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Or a propeller, which is what a fan is. 

12 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

Or a propeller, which is what a fan is. 

Name me one airplane that rotates on a point while flying?

25 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

*snip*

My point was, the OP says flying cars aren't airplane, including airplanes (flying cars that transform into airplane). Doesn't makes sense (at least to me).

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

32 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

My point was, the OP says flying cars aren't airplane, including airplanes (flying cars that transform into airplane). Doesn't makes sense (at least to me).

There’s a lot of vaguery of definition of terms. What does “airplane” mean?  Is a helicopter a kind of airplane or not? What about a gyrocopter?  The US Congress killed the US army air core from world war2 with the phrase “fixed wing aircraft” which put masssive efficiency and lift weight limits on the army for aircraft and basically made space for the US air force. There just aren’t very many ways we know of to lift an object in the air without an airfoil.  An airfoil can spin through and get around “fixed wing”.   The army looked at a few moving designs in the 50’s to try to get around that limitation. Eisenhower was a former combined arms general though and he was President so it all went away.  A lot of the flying car buzz came from the 1950’s &60’s