No, flying cars are not airplanes

_princess_
38 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Name me one airplane that rotates on a point while flying?

Harrier. 

Next question.

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Harrier. 

Next question.

How many airplanes have fast spinning properals in the both wings?

1 minute ago, whm1974 said:

How many airplanes have fast spinning properals in the both wings?

A lot!! 🙂 (just not in use anymore....) 

A lot!! 🙂 (just not in use anymore....) 

How many VTOL were there at one time? And as far I know they are Jets.

I think the word airplane refers to a winged flying object.

The term more broadly used would be AirCRAFT in which you can designate a lot of different design names such as Heliocopter and those new buzz around things with four little fan blades..... hover craft?? ..... no..... Oh Drones. Which is an air craft.

Just about any technology that has to do with displacing enough valume of air to "propel" (prop jet ring a bell?) a vehicle through the atmosphere. 

Generally this type of construction relies on atmosphere for fuel ignition, thus Air and hell a car or boat is a type of craft.... OH AIRCRAFT!!!

lol. 

It's all just a bunch of word play I see.

My GrandFather was a Lt Colonel, he was pretty strict how I worded the airplanes.... or aircraft rather as stood in correction of any meaning to divide any type of flying object. 

48 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

More of an attempt to find another example than @ShrimpBrime’s harrier. I’m going to have to resort to sophistry so lame I guess:

Any high speed acrobatic plane.  It’s sort of part of the definition.  They rotate vertically rather than horizontally, but it’s still a point.  One of the standard tricks of the blue angels and probably pretty much all acrobatic flying cores. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

52 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Harrier?

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

8 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I think the word airplane refers to a winged flying object.

The term more broadly used would be AirCRAFT in which you can designate a lot of different design names such as Heliocopter and those new buzz around things with four little fan blades..... hover craft?? ..... no..... Oh Drones. Which is an air craft.

Just about any technology that has to do with displacing enough valume of air to "propel" (prop jet ring a bell?) a vehicle through the atmosphere. 

Generally this type of construction relies on atmosphere for fuel ignition, thus Air and hell a car or boat is a type of craft.... OH AIRCRAFT!!!

lol. 

It's all just a bunch of word play I see.

My GrandFather was a Lt Colonel, he was pretty strict how I worded the airplanes.... or aircraft rather as stood in correction of any meaning to divide any type of flying object. 

This is what I was thinking but the way helicopters and gyrocopters and even drones, though in a different way, makes them winged aircraft. At least of a sort.  A propeller is a rotating wing.   It gets messy.  The line gets fuzzy.  Lifting body aircraft arguably don’t have wings, or do they?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

This is what I was thinking but the way helicopters and gyrocopters and even drones work makes them winged aircraft.  It gets messy.

No my brother, they actually lack wings, the blades are the wings on a helicopter which is a different type of aircraft. 

So if you put long wings and used them for lift, that is an airplane.

Since the helicopter uses the propeller for lift And thrust, it's not an airplane. There's no wing involved.

"In mathematics, a plane is a flat, two-dimensional surface that extends"

3 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

No my brother, they actually lack wings, the blades are the wings on a helicopter which is a different type of aircraft. 

So if you put long wings and used them for lift, that is an airplane.

Since the helicopter uses the propeller for lift And thrust, it's not an airplane. There's no wing involved.

"In mathematics, a plane is a flat, two-dimensional surface that extends"

They don’t though.  Look at a gyrocopter.  It’s an airplane with a rotating wing.  A helicopter’s rotors are wings if you look at the physics.  Scissor wing aircraft used the same math. NASA looked at scissorwings pretty hard at one point.  Estes use to even do a scissor wing model rocket.  I built one as a kid.  Thing flew fine whether the wing fully deployed or not.  

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

This is what I was thinking but the way helicopters and gyrocopters and even drones work makes them winged aircraft. A propeller is a rotating wing.   It gets messy.

Actually aircraft propellers are rotating blades since they cut through the air.

SO YEAH!!

In the end, the car takes off and lands. 

If it folds it's wings.... It's an Airplane.

It it does not fold it's wings.... yea Airplane.

Does not matter if you think your car is a flying car, it's not. It would be classified as an airplane and would require and airport to take off from in accordance to most laws. Farmers are exempt, but must maintain low air space. 

It's not a Tesla flying car. It's an airplane with a car cockpit. simple as that.

2 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Actually aircraft propellers are rotating blades since they cut through the air.

HAHAHA..

Cut air. That's an interesting approach to the conversation.

Is air easier to cut hot or cold? 

1 minute ago, whm1974 said:

Cut through the air? I’m going to treat this as a sort of pun I think. 

6 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

They don’t though.  Look at a gyrocopter.  It’s an airplane with a rotating wing.  A helicopter’s rotors are wings if you look at the physics.  Scissor wing aircraft used the same math. NASA looked at scissorwings pretty hard at one point.  Estes use to even do a scissor wing model rocket.  I built one as a kid.  Thing flew fine whether the wing fully deployed or not.  

I'm just telling you what I was brought up on. lol. 

If it has a wing, it's a plane. An airplane. 

A helicopter is a helicopter not a helio-plane

A Gyro-plane does not exist. 

A plane gets LIFT from the plane surface from the plane's wings. That's what classifies it as an airplane. 

HAHAHA..

Cut air. That's an interesting approach to the conversation.

Is air easier to cut hot or cold? 

I was going to go for a cheese joke because farts are funny but I don’t think anyone has used the phrase “cut the cheese” to mean farts in a long time.  Funny thing is if you’ve ever cut a full wheel of natural cheese it actually makes sense.  Joke is that old.

I was going to go for a cheese joke because farts are funny but I don’t think anyone has used the phrase “cut the cheese” to mean farts in a long time.  Funny thing is if you’ve ever cut a full wheel of natural cheese it actually makes sense.  Joke is that old.

Yes, aged like fine beef jerkies 😛 

I'm just telling you what I was brought up on. lol. 

If it has a wing, it's a plane. An airplane. 

A helicopter is a helicopter not a helio-plane

A Gyro-plane does not exist. 

A plane gets lift from the plane surface from the plane's wings. That's what classifies it as an airplane. 

Apache and cobra has wings to put the missiles on.  Still a helicopter.  They’re not used for lift. Helicopter blades are wings. So are fan blades. They don’t always have airfoils because a simple angled flat surface can do the vacuum effect too it’s just not very efficient.   This is how balsa wood toy rubber band planes work.  Get really small and physics changes.  Bees shouldn’t be able to fly but clearly they do. Mosquitos are worse.  I heard it described once by someone saying that for a mosquito air is about as thick as molasses ( treacle for those in non sugarcane growing countries. Same stuff) 

Just now, Bombastinator said:

Apache and cobra has wings to put the missiles on.  Still a helicopter.  They’re not used for lift. Helicopter blades are wings. So are fan blades. They don’t always have airfoils because a simple angled flat surface can do the vacuum effect too it’s just not very efficient.   This is how balsa wood toy rubber band planes work.  Get really small and physics changes.  Bees shouldn’t be able to fly but clearly they do. Mosquitos are worse.  I heard it described once by someone saying that for a mosquito air is about as thick as molasses ( treacle for those in non sugarcane growing countries. Same stuff) 

Well....

It's either a blade or a wing lol. 

So we'll call it a propeller. The same thing you call it on the boat actually. It's the same design, moves the water and propels the boat.... but it's not an airboat until you add wings and they provide lift. The same propeller propels this type of air craft both on land and water. 

The "Blades" provide thrust on a plane - thrust + lift on helicopters. We where even keen enough to put an extra fan with wings.... errr blades, that "cut air" to stop the helicopter from spinning the cockpit round and around and around weeeeeee..... 

So you propose a Helicopter is a plane because it has both vertical and horizontal blades... or wings I guess.... ?? 

5 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Well....

So we'll call it a propeller. The same thing you call it on the boat actually. It's the same design, moves the water and propels the boat.... but it's not an airboat until you add wings and they provide lift. The same propeller propels this type of air craft both on land and water. 

The "Blades" provide thrust on a plane - thrust + lift on helicopters. We where even keen enough to put an extra fan with wings.... errr blades, that "cut air" to stop the helicopter from spinning the cockpit round and around and around weeeeeee..... 

So you propose a Helicopter is a plane because it has both vertical and horizontal blades... or wings I guess.... ?? 

That’s the thing.  A gyrocopter is a helicopter where thrust is provided a different way.  There have been rocket gyrocopters and jet gyrocopters made 

elon's baby names are nice, there is nothing wrong with his baby names, you are saying mean things about the names.

27 minutes ago, _princess_ said:

elon's baby names are nice, there is nothing wrong with his baby names, you are saying mean things about the names.

It is possible I am misinformed about them.  My memory is they were extremely odd.  Based more on current puns that actually trying to make the child’s life easier.  Sometimes even those are disturbing.  I vaguely recall as an example a celebity at one point naming his child “postal inspector”. Imagine going through the third grade with that one. My memory is they were something like that one but I could be totally wrong.

Thread moved to Off Topic and cleaned. No politics.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

2 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Well....

No. I’m saying the definition of aero plane depends a lot on who is defining the term.  I consider mine unimportant.

No. I’m saying the definition of aero plane depends a lot on who is defining the term.  I consider mine unimportant.

Well your argument holds some truth while when the helicopter was invented, the native term is wing. 😉 

Just as long as we agree the earth is round, all is good lol.