M-ATX case for on-board flight travelling

vujs

Hello, 

I build my pc almost a year ago now using a M-ATX mobo and a full sized case. I have now decided I want to switch to a M-ATX case because of my travelling. For one month a year I take a flight and live in my home country, so far I have just used a laptop in my home country but now I have decided to keep a monitor and a mousepad there for when I arrive. To get to the point I would like to know the most compact M-ATX case which can fit in a duffle bag that I will bring as carry-on luggage using a 3x 2070 super with these measurements L=286.5 W=114.5 H=50.2 mm, Also if it matters I have a wraith prism. I know this might be a lot to ask for but if there are any suggestions or if you need to know anything else about my pc feel free to ask,

Thanks

20 minutes ago, Sriyashas said:

it might be too big tho

ye probably but do u think the large glass panel and the build quality overall is ok to take on a 12 hour flight?

Fractal Design Node 804
CoolerMaster Silencio S400

but I'd suggest you just swap out your motherboard for an ITX one... it's very hard to fit an matx case in a carry-on luggage, and check-in luggage will most likely damage your PC during travel... a lot of ITX cases can fit in even small suitcases so you'll have more versatility with that...

glass is hard, more so if you allow others to deal with it, that would have a high risk of being broken. ITX and on the plane inside a suitcase, maybe that could work? Would be hard getting it through security even though it shouldn't pose a risk? But if it's a very small ITX, I guess it would go just like an laptop so that would be fine.

For glass cases, screw off the glass and wrap it or if you have foam from when you got the case. to put it inside a crate/box/cardboard. There should not be too much or at all pressure at the glass or any side to contact with the outer if thrown around. so buying a roll of bubble wrap can help you out and if you do a 2 box layer, like one for the glass/support/box/support/outer last layer of the box, to be fully sure and if anything hard hits it, drops or whatever else, it would likely stay alive? (can never be too sure) but should handle most things.

2 hours ago, Quackers101 said:

glass is hard, more so if you allow others to deal with it, that would have a high risk of being broken. ITX and on the plane inside a suitcase, maybe that could work? Would be hard getting it through security even though it shouldn't pose a risk? But if it's a very small ITX, I guess it would go just like an laptop so that would be fine.

For glass cases, screw off the glass and wrap it or if you have foam from when you got the case. to put it inside a crate/box/cardboard. There should not be too much or at all pressure at the glass or any side to contact with the outer if thrown around. so buying a roll of bubble wrap can help you out and if you do a 2 box layer, like one for the glass/support/box/support/outer last layer of the box, to be fully sure and if anything hard hits it, drops or whatever else, it would likely stay alive? (can never be too sure) but should handle most things.

are you saying an M-ATX case would be hard getting through security? why would that be?

2 hours ago, YoMz said:

Fractal Design Node 804
CoolerMaster Silencio S400

but I'd suggest you just swap out your motherboard for an ITX one... it's very hard to fit an m-atx case in a carry-on luggage, and check-in luggage will most likely damage your PC during travel... a lot of ITX cases can fit in even small suitcases so you'll have more versatility with that...

Thanks, I dont really have the funds to get a new mobo psu and a case rn so I think the fractal design might be the best choice, would you think it could fit inside a large carry-on duffle bag as I don't want to risk it being in the luggage.

20 minutes ago, vujs said:

are you saying an M-ATX case would be hard getting through security? why would that be?

not sure what they allow and if it can fit or needs to go through the scanner.

Unless you don't take it with on the plane but as baggage. also not sure how big your system is either.

9 hours ago, vujs said:

Thanks, I dont really have the funds to get a new mobo psu and a case rn so I think the fractal design might be the best choice, would you think it could fit inside a large carry-on duffle bag as I don't want to risk it being in the luggage.

I suggested you go ITX since it sounded like you'll be travelling a lot anyways... the Node 804 should fit in a medium luggage, but it really depends on the airlines whether they'll let you have that as carry-on or as a check-in... for smaller and more compact systems though, it's pretty common to have them as carry-on as long as you declare them properly...

mATX really doesn't save that much size over an ATX mid tower, while mATX boards are usually markedly inferior in quality and capabilities. That's the main criticism of the mATX form factor. Most of the really dinky mATX cases available like the Cooler Master Q300L are... probably nor cases you would want to use. For the type of true portability you want you basically have to go ITX.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, 

I made a post on here about a week ago regarding the best M-ATX cases for travelling. With advice from many people I have started to reconsider and have thought of two possible solutions. Ideally I would like the case to be able to:

• Be able to fit it in a bag/duffle bag that I can bring on the flight and have between my legs so that it does not break.
  • cost around a maximum of 200 dollars
  • be able to fit a ATX size PSU and a graphics card with these measurements:  L=286  W=114  H=50 mm
  • Be able to have good Wi-fi

My two alternatives that I have thought up of up until now are:

• Buy A new ITX Motherboard (Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard) which has wifi and an M.2 slot which I would like to have and this case (Fractal Design Node 304) because it is the only mini ITX case that fits a triple fan GPU and a full sized GPU
  • OR
  • I could buy a (Fractal Design Node 804) and a netgear nighthawk AC1900 wifi adapter because my current motherboard does not have wifi.
  • Finally the most expensive option would be to get a SFX PSU and the motherboard which would give me leeway to decide what case I want but would take me longer to buy and would be an inconvenience because it would cost me an extra 100$ or so when I have a fully-functional non-modular ATX PSU. ( my trip once a year is in June and I would like to have my parts by then)

Although these are the most realistic options I see now I am open to any suggestions about a solution and any queries below,

Thanks!

Hmm.. The Node 804 is quite big. You could go for a Prodigy M. I have made a few builds in that it it's quite nice actually. (maybe not the prettiest case)  - https://www.bitfenix.com/products/chassis/micro-atx/prodigy-m/prodigy-m-gallery/

Edit: It's actually bigger. My fault.. 

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price.