Can I Mix RAM Modules [8+16GB] to upgrade my laptop?

I've a Asus TUF A17 FA706 with Ryzen 4600h + GTX 1650

which have 8GB of 3200mhz RAM only. and I do a lot of editing on premiere pro and after effects so of course 8gb is not enough. I was wondering if I can buy a 16gb 3200mhz stick and put in into my laptop to have 24gb of RAM in total. I know that I may not get the dual channel speed with different rams in my laptop but as my laptop supports up to 32gb of ram, I want upgrade it to 16+16gb in future. for now I can live with 24gb., but don't have any Idea of how much performance I'm giving up by going different size of Memory. Please suggest a perfect solution.

If you need the extra ram go with that. I would just buy a 32gb kit and have everything work if I where you!

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

1 minute ago, SignatureSigner said:

If you need the extra ram go with that. I would just buy a 32gb kit and have everything work if I where you!

my laptop is just 1month old., so as I just brought the laptop, don't have enough budget to get the 32gb kit.,., that's why I'm confused. but thanks for your suggestion 

Yup it should work just fine, if one module has slower speed than the other. The default speed will be the slower module. The performance difference will be little to none, maybe in a benchmark but real world performance should see nothing.

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000

22 minutes ago, thelonescaper said:

I've a Asus TUF A17 FA706 with Ryzen 4600h + GTX 1650

which have 8GB of 3200mhz RAM only. and I do a lot of editing on premiere pro and after effects so of course 8gb is not enough. I was wondering if I can buy a 16gb 3200mhz stick and put in into my laptop to have 24gb of RAM in total. I know that I may not get the dual channel speed with different rams in my laptop but as my laptop supports up to 32gb of ram, I want upgrade it to 16+16gb in future. for now I can live with 24gb., but don't have any Idea of how much performance I'm giving up by going different size of Memory. Please suggest a perfect solution.

It depends. There are some obstacles. If you want to have the best chances of the ram working perfectly when you install it you'll want to buy the exact same stick- make, model, and specs- as what is installed already in your laptop, but bump up the capacity to 32gb. If you don't, it can get a little dicey depending on the differences between the ram, such as if the ram preinstalled is at 3200mhz, and you buy 2666mhz, at default everything would run at 2666mhz, which wouldn't be disastrous, you'd just loose performance. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

1 hour ago, Gung Pow Chicken said:

Yup it should work just fine, if one module has slower speed than the other. The default speed will be the slower module. The performance difference will be little to none, maybe in a benchmark but real world performance should see nothing.

both pre installed 8gb ram and the 16gb stick I want to buy are same in speed 3200mhz CL22.

On 2/1/2021 at 7:44 PM, thelonescaper said:

both pre installed 8gb ram and the 16gb stick I want to buy are same in speed 3200mhz CL22.

You should be good to go, I would ignore comments of people who apparently didn't read the entire post and speeds on the memory.

I've done this with hundreds of computers over the years, and never noticed a problem. Both with laptops and desktops. Even on my XPS 9500 after a memory module failed, I now have a 32GB stick + 16GB stick but both have the same speeds and I didn't notice a single performance decrease other than inability to run the same amount of VM's at the same spec.

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000