Wife PC Upgrade NIGHTMARE

James
3 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

It's a very old thing from the Slashdot days (way back when they were hugely popular, google "the slashdot effect" for more info) when it was sort of a silly contest to be the 1st to post on an article.

Well, I know nothing about that.

It's still fun.

elephants

How about a Techquickie on this Asus Thunderbolt 3 issue? 

What did you find out about that, and what exactly is the problem?  And are there any work-arounds?  Someone else on this thread discovered on their own that it wasnt a Thunderbolt 3 issue but was actually a DP issue and there was a fix.  Can you look into this as well?

first time Iv'e heard about this ... and I just bought a Z490 Hero Xll, partly because of the Thunderbolt 3, and I'm waiting to buy a video card to do the build.  Should I have buyers regret, or incorporate a fix into the build?

Did I buy the wrong board?

2 minutes ago, Pitboy64 said:

How about a Techquickie on this Asus Thunderbolt 3 issue? 

What did you find out about that, and what exactly is the problem?  And are there any work-arounds?  Someone else on this thread discovered on their own that it wasnt a Thunderbolt 3 issue but was actually a DP issue and there was a fix.  Can you look into this as well?

first time Iv'e heard about this ... and I just bought a Z490 Hero Xll, partly because of the Thunderbolt 3, and I'm waiting to buy a video card to do the build.  Should I have buyers regret, or incorporate a fix into the build?

Did I buy the wrong board?

There's no guarantee that the other person in this thread who discovered their issue was actually DP-related is having the same problem as Linus. Linus's description of the problem was pretty brief, and while he's not all-knowing when it comes to tech I'd like to think he tested pretty thoroughly to determine the cause of the issue before he invested a weekend and thousands of dollars worth of hardware in fixing it.

That said, I feel like Linus's use case for Thunderbolt, where (if I remember correctly) he's trying to run the entire system through it from another room, is fairly unique. So unless you're trying to do something similar I wouldn't worry too much. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

2 hours ago, samcool55 said:

AsRock, which used to be the budget brand from Asus, makes better high-end stuff these days.

How the tables have turned.

which they spun off to. into its own company.

now asus got a massive bad pr for their name on consumer side.

so they made tuff brand,rog,

mind you i will never own them again. for mobos. never once had 1 working correctly.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

7 minutes ago, dogwitch said:

which they spun off to. into its own company.

now asus got a massive bad pr for their name on consumer side.

so they made tuff brand,rog,

mind you i will never own them again. for mobos. never once had 1 working correctly.

Yes, ASRock has been an independent company for a long time now, as hard as this is for some YouTube commenters to grasp. ("But they're owned by Pegatron!" Yes, and Pegatron was spun off independent of Asus a decade ago.)

Every TUF or ROG product still has the Asus branding all over it prominently so I wouldn't say that was an attempt by Asus to evade a poor brand reputation. I have seen people who actually think Aorus is a separate brand from Gigabyte, though. In any case whether you like them or not, I would say for a lot of people the Asus brand name still carries "prestige" and a lot of their products tend to be marked up over the competition with an "Asus tax" accordingly

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

I just watched this video and I was wondering why there needs to be a display port in on his wifes motherboard. If you don't know what I am talkng about go to 4:55 in the video where he mentions it. 

WARNING!! THE THINGS I SAY ARE BASED OFF EXPERIENCE AND MIGHT NOT BE TOTALLY ACCURATE!!

pretty specific build.....

Everyone, Creator初音ミク Hatsune Miku Google commercial.

Cameras: Main: Canon 70D - Secondary: Panasonic GX85 - Spare: Samsung ST68. - Action cams: GoPro Hero+, Akaso EK7000pro

Dead cameras: Nikion s4000, Canon XTi

Pc's

Spoiler

Dell optiplex 5050 (main) - i5-6500- 20GB ram -500gb samsung 970 evo  500gb WD blue HDD - dvd r/w

HP compaq 8300 prebuilt - Intel i5-3470 - 8GB ram - 500GB HDD - bluray drive

old windows 7 gaming desktop - Intel i5 2400 - lenovo CIH61M V:1.0 - 4GB ram - 1TB HDD - dual DVD r/w

main laptop acer e5 15 - Intel i3 7th gen - 16GB ram - 1TB HDD - dvd drive                                                                     

school laptop lenovo 300e chromebook 2nd gen - Intel celeron - 4GB ram - 32GB SSD 

audio mac- 2017 apple macbook air A1466 EMC 3178

Any questions? pm me.

#Muricaparrotgang                                                                                   

Beautiful B-roll. Filming the screen on the ASROCK motherboard yet it does not flick. I say that's impressive. 

3 hours ago, Middcore said:

Yes, ASRock has been an independent company for a long time now, as hard as this is for some YouTube commenters to grasp. ("But they're owned by Pegatron!" Yes, and Pegatron was spun off independent of Asus a decade ago.)

Every TUF or ROG product still has the Asus branding all over it prominently so I wouldn't say that was an attempt by Asus to evade a poor brand reputation. I have seen people who actually think Aorus is a separate brand from Gigabyte, though. In any case whether you like them or not, I would say for a lot of people the Asus brand name still carries "prestige" and a lot of their products tend to be marked up over the competition with an "Asus tax" accordingly

true. its like zotac. they use to me no name. then made a name for themselves. then cheap out on some models of gpus.

MSI x399 sli plus  | AMD theardripper 2990wx all core 3ghz lock |Thermaltake flo ring 360 | EVGA 2080, Zotac 2080 |Gskill Ripjaws 128GB 3000 MHz | Corsair RM1200i |150tb | Asus tuff gaming mid tower| 10gb NIC

So it's a single thunderbolt cable back to her desk?  What's the little break out box on her desk?

sponsor for this video has a funny definition for what constitutes a giveaway lol...

image.thumb.png.ef141ec8589a4617a0a7872f063b953c.png

james get a third eye!

Hope for a video on watercooled motherboards and if they are worth anything at all.

As others seem to have the same issue with the same motherboard Linus tried to use first, and if this is a common problem.

We are giving away 10 gift boxes to celebrate the collaboration of Linus Tech Tips and Innofoods !!

How to win:

1. Follow us on instagram @innofoods

2. Visit Costco

3. Grab any Innofoods product

4. Take a selfie with the product

5. Post it on Instagram with #innolinusgiveaway

6. Top 10 posts with the most engagement (likes, comments) will receive the prize

What a garbage 'giveaway'. I can see why they disabled the like/dislike counter on the video.

image.thumb.png.2ea1c8d013bd6aad552997095df4b843.png

Gee, I wonder why 🤔

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

3 minutes ago, Spotty said:

What a garbage 'giveaway'. I can see why they disabled the like/dislike counter on the video.

Gee, I wonder why 🤔

I didn't even realize who the sponsor was until I saw this (originally watched the video on FP). That's a crappy giveaway for sure. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

"I like Asus"

I thought I did too until I bought one of their motherboards - a Rampage V Extreme.

Sata ports that keep dropping out, USB that will randomly disconnect my webcam (and mess up my audio inputs in the process), an integrated RAID controller that will drop the entire array whenever it feels like it wiping out your data if you have no redundancy, onboard wifi and BT that doesn't work and the bad placement of edge connectors making you bend pins when you have a GPU installed in that last slot.

The irony is that this was their top of the line enthusiast board - you would expect them to cut no corners on a flagship product and offer something with no compromises.

Boy do they have a lot to learn. I sometimes wish companies like these would just change their name to Rising Sun Electronics, because you know, they haven't exactly woken up yet.

BTW: The board isn't that unusable and it does actually have things that I like. I've found workarounds for the glitches, but my point really is a top spec board shouldn't require workarounds and should just work as designed and expected.

23 hours ago, James said:

Buy GIGABYTE Z490 AORUS Xtreme WF (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/DPQpXQC

Buy Intel Core i9-10900K CPU (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/X1z1Eaz

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super GPU (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/IAXh1lI

My wife's computer won't wake from sleep properly. I've narrowed the issue down to ASUS' implementation of Thunderbolt 3 on their motherboards...but actually addressing the issue turned out to be a lot of work!

Ooof that sucks

Does anybody know what tubing he used in the video? He mentioned it was "an extremely nonporous walled tubing" that he used in a previous video

Does anyone know what's the secret Thunderbolt thing he was using on his PC upgrade some years ago but that he couldn't disclose?

Is it just me or do Linus and crew kill a lot of motherboards. I was thinking about the one in the 20k desk pc also

Gaming Machine: CPU: AMD 7950x cooled by a Custom Watercooling Loop| CASE: Lian Li Dynamic Evo | MOBO: X670E Asus Crosshair Extreme RAM: 64B DDR4 G.Skill 6000mhz ram | GPU: AMD 7900 XTX PSU: Corsair RM1000x with cablemod cables SSD's: 2TB Seagate 530, 4TB Seagate 530, 1TB WD SN850 | Monitors: 38" Acer X38P Predator| Mouse: Logitech G903 and Powerplay matt | KEYBOARD: Steelseries Apex mini pro | HEADSET: Logitech G935 Wireless Headset

| Pics of my rig |

Linux Machine: CPU: AMD 5950x cooled by a Custom Watercooling Loop| CASE: Phantek Evolv X | MOBO: X570 Asus Crosshair VIII Extreme RAM: 64GB DDR4 Crucial Ballistix 3600mhz ram | GPU: AMD 6900XT PSU: Corsair AX1200 with custom white sleeved Cables  SSD's: 1Tb Seagate 530 & 2Tb Seagate 530 & 2Tb KC3000 | Monitors: 38" Acer X38P Predator | Mouse: Logitech G903 and Powerplay matt | KEYBOARD: Steelseries Apex Pro| HEADSET: Logitech G935 Wireless Headset

| Pics of my rig |

Basement Machine: CPU: AMD 5950x cooled by a Custom Watercooling Loop| CASE: Thermaltake Core Pro 3 | MOBO: X570 Gigabyte Xtreme RAM: 64GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600mhz ram | GPU: Rtx 3080 Ti PSU: Corsair RM1000x  SSD's: 1Tb Crucial P3 Plus & 2Tb SN850 & 2Tb KC3000 | Monitors: 32" 1440p monitor | Mouse: Logitech G903 and Powerplay matt | KEYBOARD: Das Ultimate| HEADSET: Logitech G935 Wireless Headset

10 minutes ago, MadITgeek said:

I wonder. um, why cant Linus use like ANY thunderbolt 3 PCIE card instead of a ENTIRE NEW MOTHERBOARD

like holy first world problems

something like

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GBZL93X/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=sl1&tag=zamcons-20&linkId=bdab9f9b859ed8b9cd2156984cebafe3&language=en_US

am I missing something??

Those don't work with just any board. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

This is true. but I'd think the Asus mobo he was using would be. be pretty crazy that a PCIE thunderbolt card does not work with a motherboard that has one onboard...

I thought his wife had a a Mini-ITX build in a horizontal case that the monitor rested on.

Phone 1 (Daily Driver): Samsung Galaxy Z Fold2 5G

Phone 2 (Work): Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra 5G 256gb

Laptop 1 (Production): 16" MBP2019, i7, 5500M, 32GB DDR4, 2TB SSD

Laptop 2 (Gaming): Toshiba Qosmio X875, i7 3630QM, GTX 670M, 16GB DDR3