Wife PC Upgrade NIGHTMARE

James

Buy GIGABYTE Z490 AORUS Xtreme WF (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/DPQpXQC

Buy Intel Core i9-10900K CPU (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/X1z1Eaz

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super GPU (PAID LINK): https://geni.us/IAXh1lI

My wife's computer won't wake from sleep properly. I've narrowed the issue down to ASUS' implementation of Thunderbolt 3 on their motherboards...but actually addressing the issue turned out to be a lot of work!

first?

“Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak.” - Sun Tzu, The Art of War #muricaparrotgang

Tier Lists and Specs List Below

Motherboard VRM tier list  -----  PSU tier list

React if you agree with me!

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600  |  CPU Cooler: Asus ROG STRIX LC240 White |  RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16GB 3600 | Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-A  |  SSD: Inland m.2 NVMe SSD 256GB  |  HDD: Seagate 2TB 7200RPM |  GPU: RTX 3060 Ti FE  |  PSU: Seasonic SGX 650 |  Case: Lian Li o11 mini-W  |  Mouse: Razer Basilisk mercury |  Keyboard: Drop CTRL (Used. I did not spend $200 on a keyboard) |  Mouse Pad: Aura Mech Purple Storm  |  MonitorAsus TUF 24" IPS 144Hz 1080p

1 minute ago, MarvintheParrot said:

first?

Second??

(Keep the chain going by adding a question mark each time)

| If someones post is helpful or solves your problem please mark it as a solution 🙂 |

I am a human that makes mistakes! If I'm wrong please correct me and tell me where I made the mistake. I try my best to be helpful.

System Specs

<Ryzen 5 3600 3.5-4.2Ghz> <Noctua NH-U12S chromax.Black> <ZOTAC RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB> <16gb 3200Mhz Crucial CL16> <DarkFlash DLM21 Mesh> <650w Corsair RMx 2018 80+ Gold> <Samsung 970 EVO 500gb NVMe> <WD blue 500gb SSD> <MSI MAG b550m Mortar> <5 Noctua P12 case fans>

Peripherals

<Lepow Portable Monitor + AOC 144hz 1080p monitor> 

<Keymove Snowfox 61m>

<Razer Mini>

Just now, SignatureSigner said:

Second??

(Keep the chain going by adding a question mark each time)

You were third...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Seems like revenge for the GME stock thing.

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

#MuricaParrotGang

The meme thread

All of my image memes are made with GIMP.

My specs are crap but if you are interested:

Spoiler

The meme-making machine - Optiplex 780:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3.0 GHz

GPU: NVidia Quadro FX 580

RAM: 2 GB

SSD: Non-existent

HDD: 1 TB

Laptop: HP 255 G7

CPU: Ryzen 5 3500U

GPU: Radeon Vega 8

RAM: 8 GB

SSD: 500 GB NVMe

5 minutes ago, MarvintheParrot said:

first?

seventh???????
why is getting the first anything fun
does anyone know
because i got the first reply to mrbeast's comment

and i've got the first comment on 3 ltt videos now

and rip asus

elephants

Just a note to anyone who hasn't watched this yet:

Spoiler

A motherboard dies. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

10 minutes ago, ProjectBox153 said:
  Hide contents

A motherboard dies. 

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

#MuricaParrotGang

The meme thread

Spoiler

spindle-berry-backup

Lot of work when you could just turn the computer off or never let it go to sleep.

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

Sounds like the sleep problem described in the video is a DisplayPort issue and not a thunderbolt issue.

We had the same issue at work where if the computer goes to sleep it will not wake up.

It happens on Surface Book with the Surface docking station and HP ProBook with HP UltraSlim 2013 docking station

The work around is if the monitor has the option DDC/CI it needs to be set to disable or connect the monitor via HDMI instead.

Yeah, we're all just a bunch of idiots experiencing nothing more than the placebo effect.

This looks absolutely terrible for Gigabyte, especially after Linus starts the vid criticizing Asus and Gigabyte has a chance to be the "savior." A $2000 board just... doesn't work... for no apparent reason. If I were a marketing person at Gigabyte watching this I would be getting an ulcer and calling LMG right away to beg them to take some free products to feature in future videos. 

As a side note, it's always amazing to me how in a hobby driven by rapid upgrade cycles and innovation, so many people operate on info that's years out of date. There are multiple people in the YouTube comments who still think ASRock is an Asus subsidiary, for example.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

48 minutes ago, Red 🙂 said:

I played this with headphones on and it sounded like someone was playing it outside the window.

elephants

AsRock, which used to be the budget brand from Asus, makes better high-end stuff these days.

How the tables have turned.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

1 minute ago, samcool55 said:

AsRock, which used to be the budget brand from Asus, makes better high-end stuff these days.

How the tables have turned.

e5d45eab567d9a84e7e61477fabb6f07.jpg

FTFY

#MuricaParrotGang

The meme thread

Spoiler

this video felt... weird? Not necessarily bad, but just different. Was linus alone in his house with a camera on a tripod for the majority of this video?

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

Just now, Skipple said:

this video felt... weird? Not necessarily bad, but just different. Was linus alone in his house with a camera on a tripod for the majority of this video?

I mean his family was there obviously. I don't think they had any of their professional camera operators shoot it, I think it was just a weekend project Linus did that he decided to make a video out of. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

1 minute ago, Skipple said:

Yes; he even mentioned this in the video. 

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

1 minute ago, Skipple said:

I guess, yes. Basically because Yvonne demanded him to finally fix the problem once and for all.

Not planned so probably nobody available to help him.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

"... for the most part, they try and do the right thing for consumers"

My experience with Asus has been everything but in line with this statement, and I know you won't have to look far to find others with very similar experiences. In fact, I'd say that the only worse experience I've had would be with Mad Catz, wherein I currently have three still active support tickets open, unanswered from 2013. Not exactly a standard that you want to be competing with.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

3 minutes ago, Semper said:

"... for the most part, they try and do the right thing for consumers"

My experience with Asus has been everything but in line with this statement, and I know you won't have to look far to find others with very similar experiences. In fact, I'd say that the only worse experience I've had would be with Mad Catz, wherein I currently have three still active support tickets open, unanswered from 2013. Not exactly a standard that you want to be competing with.

You can find people with horror stories about the customer service for every major brand in the PC space. I know people who won't buy anything from MSI for example (and it wasn't because of them scalping their own GPU's or any of that). EVGA has or had a decent rep. I've been impressed with Lian Li's support in my personal dealings with them. Largely though they all seem to be as bad as each other and if you swore off every company that screwed somebody over you'd have nothing left to buy.

As for Mad Catz, they went bankrupt  and then resurrected under new ownership, so I wouldn't hold your breath. 

2 hours ago, ragnarok0273 said:

seventh???????
why is getting the first anything fun
does anyone know
because i got the first reply to mrbeast's comment

and i've got the first comment on 3 ltt videos now

and rip asus

It's a very old thing from the Slashdot days (way back when they were hugely popular, google "the slashdot effect" for more info) when it was sort of a silly contest to be the 1st to post on an article.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me.