ignore/block should work both ways

emosun

Sometimes in a thread someone will quote me even though they are set to ignore on my end. Which i guess means they cannot see that they are set to block/ignore.

Maybe when one user sets someone to ignore , it should also do the same for the other person so they aren't seeing/quoting someone who isn't going to see it.

I don't think making it entirely bidirectional would work, because then the member who was ignored has no choice in whether they can see the ignorer's posts. I'm not sure how I feel about making that information available to the ignoree anyway - that feels like it could end up increasing tensions and disagreements, and generally making people less cooperative. I do see the benefit of not having them reply to you, but would it help if instead you just didn't get notified about having been quoted if it was by someone you ignored?

HTTP/2 203

Well they actually could see the ignorers post if they hit the "show reply/post" thing in a thread.

When I have people set to ignore it automatically hides their reply in a thread and i can still choose to see it. I think it would help confusion if someone in a thread is trying to talk to someone and they don't know that they're being ignored.

I've also previously had status updates where users that are set to ignore actually replied to them.

I don't know anything about how website programming works , but perhaps it might be an easy thing to implement? just simply duplicate the ignore request but flip flop the names on the other users "ignored" page?

8 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

I don't think making it entirely bidirectional would work, because then the member who was ignored has no choice in whether they can see the ignorer's posts.

Most of the threads here are about helping someone and an ignored person not seeing the ignorer's posts would run counter to that: what if the ignorer posted something that was actually incorrect or even could do harm (to a thread's opener's PC-components, for example)? It'd be better for everyone in the thread in such a case that the ignored person could still address this post, even if the ignorer then wasn't notified of these replies.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

For example , this is a perfect sort of explanation of the problem. The other user isn't aware that one user isn't looking at their responses

Unhjgjgjitled.jpg

huh...

Ignore test.

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

huh...

Ignore test.

you pass. but yeah see what I mean? You essentially could be typing a reply to a post where the op will never see it.

15 minutes ago, emosun said:

You essentially could be typing a reply to a post where the op will never see it.

I don't see a problem with that. Just because the OP isn't interested in what that ignored person has to say does not mean other people reading the thread won't find it helpful.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

59 minutes ago, emosun said:

you pass. but yeah see what I mean? You essentially could be typing a reply to a post where the op will never see it.

I do. It would be useful to completely remove the "see ignored users post" from the threads, but you'll always see someone else's quote of them. So essentially you would have to block the original poster and anyone that quotes the ignored user unfortunately. 

Glad I pass though! 😄 (The C : drive thing still hasn't taken effect yet....)

15 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Glad I pass though! 😄 (The C : drive thing still hasn't taken effect yet....)

It should have applied with the status update changes today actually, but unfortunately you might need to clear your cookies (or if your browser lets you be granular, just local storage for LTT) for it to take effect.

16 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

I do. It would be useful to completely remove the "see ignored users post" from the threads, but you'll always see someone else's quote of them. So essentially you would have to block the original poster and anyone that quotes the ignored user unfortunately. 

Why would that be useful? To avoid temptation to look at it? Surely there are reasons when you'd legitimately want to see the post though?

HTTP/2 203

18 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

It should have applied with the status update changes today actually, but unfortunately you might need to clear your cookies (or if your browser lets you be granular, just local storage for LTT) for it to take effect.

Why would that be useful? To avoid temptation to look at it? Surely there are reasons when you'd legitimately want to see the post though?

Ah cookies. Makes sense.

Well of course its tempting.

You block someone cause they have to say some stupid shtuff and when blocking theres a little pop up saying I can view it.

Ok ok, I'll look at it. Oh it was something stupid again. (Remember blocked for reasons) and then just adds to frustration and then mad at self for reading it anyways.

So for my thoughts, if I'm ignoring a user, I dont need an option to view their post.

But I'm pretty sure the way this forum is set up is identical to all others I've visited. So its normal to me, I dont generally block users at any forum. I'd rather get into a fistacuff lol. 

1 hour ago, Spotty said:

I don't see a problem with that. Just because the OP isn't interested in what that ignored person has to say does not mean other people reading the thread won't find it helpful.

Well in that event it would still be useful for the ignored person to KNOW that they are ignored. So if it were to ALSO set the same person to ignore , they could still view and reply to topics and posts , but at least KNOW that they are being ignored by either the op or poster.

it might actually prevent people who have an issue with each other from interacting if they know it'll just fall on def ears.

6 minutes ago, emosun said:

Well in that event it would still be useful for the ignored person to KNOW that they are ignored. So if it were to ALSO set the same person to ignore , they could still view and reply to topics and posts , but at least KNOW that they are being ignored by either the op or poster.

it might actually prevent people who have an issue with each other from interacting if they know it'll just fall on def ears.

Theres always the option to PM/DM the person you are ignoring and just tell them straight up. 

You also can report private messages if they return a nasty reply. Let them get ban hammered. Not that I'm encouraging you to bait someone, sometimes you need to take alternative actions.

13 minutes ago, emosun said:

Well in that event it would still be useful for the ignored person to KNOW that they are ignored.

I don't think this will create a very good environment

Knowing someone ignored you can create resentment and such, so sometimes ignorance is bliss

It's fine if they replied to you but you never see it, you're not obligated to reply anyways.

Inb4 you never see this because I'm ignored 😔

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately