Google threatens to pull out of Australia over new "link tax" laws

Master Disaster
Just now, Mark Kaine said:

That graphic is confusing... so does that mean affiliate links are still an OK and only Google isn't allowed to profit from them anymore, or does it mean affiliate links are dead, period? 

No, the proposed law has nothing to do with affiliate links. The person I was replying to didn't know how the proposed bill was different to affiliate links.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just now, Spotty said:

No, the proposed law has nothing to do with affiliate links. The person I was replying to didn't know how the proposed bill was different to affiliate links.

oh ok, I see, that's why I was confused lol. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

but on the flipside ,(a silly idea) 
Me or you could scam the new law.
image.png.24fc602155b81b19d81a4791eafd03b2.png
step 1. start a Dr-Evil-News-organization.
step 2 make heaps of fake accounts to share story links to fb and google etc
step 3. use the proposed law to make search engines/FB pay for any links to our {news.site}
step 4 Sue every company that doesn't pay
Step 5. $$$$$$

2 hours ago, Jools G said:

but on the flipside ,(a silly idea) 
Me or you could scam the new law.
image.png.24fc602155b81b19d81a4791eafd03b2.png
step 1. start a Dr-Evil-News-organization.
step 2 make heaps of fake accounts to share story links to fb and google etc
step 3. use the proposed law to make search engines/FB pay for any links to our {news.site}
step 4 Sue every company that doesn't pay
Step 5. $$$$$$

Thats a big Achilles heel.  The only way I can see to avoid it is to have a really intelligent link checker (such as a person) make sure they weren’t being hotted.  People are too expensive and AI to do that have not been developed.  This could be the reason Google is backing out.  I kind of wonder if this would work against the French system too.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

I guess there's nothing quite like a competitor reminding you they're able and eager to swoop-in and take all your business to get you to come back to the bargaining table.

Google is forced to BACK DOWN on its threat to leave Australia as Scott Morrison says the search engine giant is 'more positive' about its future Down Under

Google has largely rolled back its threat to leave Australia after Scott Morrison had a 'constructive' video call with CEO Sundar Pichai.

But Mr Morrison said that was less likely to happen after his talk with Mr Pichai, the CEO of Google's parent company Alphabet.

'It was a constructive meeting. I have been able to send them the best possible signals that should give them a great encouragement to engage with the process and see them conclude with the various news organisations,' Mr Morrison told reporters in Canberra on Thursday.

'That is the best way to enable that matter to be settled. We discussed some of the specifics of ­elements of the code. They raised those matters, I think, very respectfully.

'We have been able to get that into a much more positive space about the ability to continue to provide services here in Australia. At the end of the day, they understand Australia sets the rules for how these things operate.'

Google has also described the talks as 'constructive'. 

Treasurer Josh Frydenberg said the company was committed to staying in Australia.

'There was certainly a more constructive tone to the discussion yesterday,' Mr Frydenberg told reporters on Friday.

'What they recognise is there is a need to pay for content, and I think they also recognise maybe some of the threats have been misplaced about the future in the Australian market, because they certainly see a future in the Australian market.'

'They re-committed to Australia, we re-committed to the code.' 

In a blog post on earlier this week, the company said it hoped a workable solution was achievable but said its threat to leave remained on the table.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987